Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Two hours in the shed.....

A morning of fiddly bits and pieces but we have the exhaust and steam connections ready to fit. All these things take time!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That's great Maz, better than many of those modern art pieces that win prizes! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Much better than the 9" nail bashed in a rough wooden base with a golf ball glued on top that I saw when I visited Leeds Art Gallery when I was a lad. It was by some budding "artist" and entitled "The Moon" and had a £5,000 price tag!

Get it on Ebay Maz, try $1000 for a punt. :extrawink:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

About 1.5 miles from us

https://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=18858

46E21A5B-4524-424D-AE45-8622F750F997.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you keep searching you will find it
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

""It was very unexpected and I didn't believe it at first. I just can't believe that it's been missed by everyone.
"The stones are not arranged randomly and it's quite clear to see."

Tell us more - That can't have been how it was found - surely? My antenna is twitching. :laugh5:

PS here's a bit more, and a bit more more credible.

Hamer Hill

Makes me smile - I knew quite a few rascals from Rochdale once upon a time.

PPS Just remembered we have a member Sunray 10 from Nelson, who was into this sort of thing. He gives the website for the link above on his registration data. Spooky - well just a bit. :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The site you reference there David is run by our very own member Sunray10 but you probably already know that. :extrawink:

Ray also runs this one:

The Northern Antiquarian
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yes - Ian - I think I did vaguely know, but I made the connection from two different directions - from the link above and from the members list. That's what qualifies it as spooky.

It's been a long time since he posted. Be good if he gave us his opinion. Mine is - that's not how this 'henge' was found. No one could have overlooked the stones in their present position. Some one has arranged them and not 5000 years ago. :smile:

The problem with that theory is it would have been a very big job, and hard to do discreetly. Did Sue see it on her walks - if so how long ago ? Fascinating :smile: .
Last edited by Tripps on 23 Nov 2020, 14:48, edited 2 times in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, that's what I thought as well looking at the link.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

In answer to your question I have never walked that path before, it is not readily accessible or clearly marked. The story of the stones came to our attention a few years ago but we have only recently found them on my iPad walking map . We took it as a short cut yesterday, following our nose and eyeline to our church . Some time ago I read it was a victorian con. However it is clearly on a raised area. From it you have a good view in all directions and turning East a very straight old road was visible across the fields over towards Syke . Wether it is a con or renovated, its still impressive to look at and not easy underfoot to get to at this time of year, as my boots can concur :laugh5:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Here it is. The only road of any note is Road Lane which leads from Whitworth Rd to Limers Way. The other roads marked are actually insignificant muddy tracks. We usually walk the top tracks by the reservoirs, over to Limers Way and up into Whitworth.
4A2B060E-D6E0-4046-ACCB-C52551239765.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 15:19 Some time ago I read it was a Victorian con.

I'd say 'tribute act' more modern and perhaps a bit less harsh. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ok then, doing a bit of research on various archeology sites. It appears the stones were found in the ground arranged in a circle, various descriptions of the rocks found. Its confusing because the site is Hamer Hill but there are numerous references to Rooley Moor. I have not yet found any article about reconstructing the rocks into their present appearance
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

PanBiker wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 12:06
Get it on Ebay Maz, try $1000 for a punt. :extrawink:
:laugh5: :laugh5: ...that is not what my husband said. I sent the photo to my son, who replied “LOL”.
Anyway, I have temporarily taped it to the side of a cupboard so I can look at it for a few days before bin day!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It doesn’t have to be thrown, you can admire it as often as you want 😊
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My Lilly’s are out...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, I'm with David, my crap detector is whining loudly. I doubt if those stones have been weathered for 100 years. Looks more like a JCB tribute. One thing in its favour, it'll be low maintenance!
I shall be surviving hopefully and going quietly forward with the cylinder assembly in the shed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Whether the stones were in that position or not is the debate, but not that they were found in that place, and there are plenty of photographs of them and others lying on the ground in the vicinity however I have yet to find the article that says when they were re erected. I should like to see an old map of the area. I am not so naive as to think they were found exactly like that. The article clearly says he found them on the ground in a circle. There is no doubt they are on a large mound that is out of place where it is.

We managed a walk yesterday it was cold and damp in the afternoon so we did a short low circuit rather than go up on the moors. We walked along the railway bridle way, then down into the dell past the waterfalls then up on to the moors low down, only about 3.5 miles. It is very wet underfoot even on the proper paths. Its slippery as well as the leaves begin to rot. It was getting rather dusky even at 2.45 pm when we returned. I then did a bit of sewing, making one of my coasters so I could practice the basics of taking a design off a memory stick and all the embroidery commands. . I have measured my sewing room and unfortunately I cannot get the new larger sewing cabinet in without removing sewing and art storage cabinets, so I will have to be content with the machine permanently sitting on the top of the existing cabinet.

Today I shall have a go at a coaster in the shape of an artists palette, for my friend Wendy. However this morning we are meeting the buyer of my machine at a shopping area near Warrington, ie half way between our two houses. Also if the weather is OK I could do with pruning back the heathers and fuchsias in the garden , to complete my autumn tidy up.

So everyone have a good day, think positive, keep busy, stay cheerful, and in my case(and possibly yours too) I shall carry on praying that our numbers continue to decrease and we get put in Tier 2 and not 3 in Thursdays announcement . Tier three being little different from now, and more of the same since early July. Roll on the vaccine . It will be interesting to see how that affects someone living in Tiers2 and 3
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

On the stones. Without a proper foundation they could easily sink below the surface and disappear to the naked eye. Stone Heads The stone heads on Christmas Island are said to have a 'body' underneath.
Sue wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 07:36 Also if the weather is OK I could do with pruning back the heathers and fuchsias in the garden , to complete my autumn tidy up.
I've been doing that for the past 3 days. Another 3 days work left to finish the front gardens and then..... (Only do 2 hours per day then I'm buggered.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"(Only do 2 hours per day then I'm buggered.)"
I recognise that one Ken! here's my two hours worth this morning....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Machine paid for and delivered. What a lot has happened in a week 😊
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today the vet came to give the ponies a dental examination. Dennis has great teeth for such an old boy and only needed a few sharp points rasped. Sparky has no molars left in his mouth so no work needed at all. I swept a couple of his teeth up off the stable floor a the other week!
Dennis damaged a tendon last week careering around the field like a four year old, he seems to be recovering with a daily dose of painkillers and gentle exercise going out to graze. The vet is very Irish and called Seamus o'Shea, boy can he talk!! :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wendyf wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 20:03 I swept a couple of his teeth up off the stable floor a the other week!
Yuck...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The joys of looking after young lads Wendy.
I shall be keeping my head warm, I had a hair cut yesterday and ran the lawn mower over the top. Then having a couple of hours in the shed with Margaret's beam engine.
Anything else will be a bonus.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

So we had our trip to Warrington , handed over my machine in exchange for money of course, and back home all within 2 hours the round trip. Saw no one, met no one , talked to no one except the husband of my buyer. He seemed delighted with the buy having given it a quick look over. In the afternoon I made my artists palette coaster, in fact two of them, did so e washing and that was my day. I had woken with an aching back , knee and hip , the second day in a row. My back and knee had been aching when we were out walking on Monday as well so I have decided not to do pilates or yoga for the week to give it a rest. It will by my first full week off since we first went to France in March.

So with no daily exercise class and no defined sewing to do I shall have to think of something else to do. This afternoon should be ok for a walk, and of course I have my archaeology to get on with . I do need to adapt the pattern of my jeans to make a different style leg. I have some fabric on order, as I could not find any jeans on line that I both liked and fitted.

So according to the news we can start planning our Christmas break now .

On that note have a good day everyone
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:biggrin2: You have just got your body out of “alignment” Sue, either by carrying something the wrong way, sleeping wrong, or doing work on the new machine.
My advice is to sit upright when on the couch, a pillow behind you, knees together and feet flat on the floor.
( I do that every evening now, and I swear it helps)
Sounds simple, but it works...

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”