Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Glad you sold the Machine OK Sue.
I've just had my second walk and am sat here eating my breakfast.

I had an hour and a half in the shed and made good progress, I nearly have a finished valve.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Last night Sue, I slept with two paracetamol tablets next to my bed “just in case”, as I always do nowadays.
I woke in discomfort at 2am, and decided to give it a bit more time.
By 4am, I decided to swallow the Paracetamol, by the light of moonlight coming through the side of the bedroom blind I located them and the glass of water. I dropped one tablet on the floor ( darn it) and was reduced to kneeling beside the bed in the dark, patting the carpet, but I did find it. I managed to do all this without waking hubby.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Beautiful day here. I’ve been out in the garden dead heading the geraniums.
Going for our walk this afternoon as usual. Apart from that, nothing planned.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Boring I know but communicating with kids and more slow progress on Margaret's engine. I am looking for a crosshead this morning and perhaps some drain valve installing.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 08:36 :biggrin2: You have just got your body out of “alignment” Sue, either by carrying something the wrong way, sleeping wrong, or doing work on the new machine.
My advice is to sit upright when on the couch, a pillow behind you, knees together and feet flat on the floor.
( I do that every evening now, and I swear it helps)
Sounds simple, but it works...
Morning

Knee back and hip are all my normal complaints Stanley, usually kept under control by pilates and yoga. I suspect the backache is partly from sleeping in an odd position for a length of time . I have been sleeping really deeply at the moment. The knee I put down to walking up and down hills on very rough ground, not much I can do about that. The hip always causes bother, nothing excessive but just my age as the Doctor said when I had an X-ray . However on Sunday we did a slow yoga session which involves holding postures for a length of time. I had to come out of some because it made my hip ache. I did the right thing by not doing them but I think it just triggered off an underlying problem. I am much better with the fast movement yoga and pilates. It increases the flexibility and the cardio without putting too much stress on the joints. I suspect it was the same class that aggravated my back and knee . The teachers always say LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and don’t do it if you can’t so that is what I did. Its easy to drop out of the odd exercise, which I often do, but when the whole class is slow and holding postures it is harder. I will explain to Mandy in my next yoga session and she will come up with a modified form of the posture for me to do. No harm done, it has eased already but I will not do anything except walking until Monday.

Yesterday morning Bob had an online U3A photography session , so whilst he did that I altered my jeans pattern, ready for when my fabric arrives. I also practised doing an embroidered pocket on the jeans when I make them. I had to find a design I like that would go with the fabric and fit on the pocket. It was a learning experience that went well. In the afternoon we did a two hour walk up to the postoffice in Whitworth to post a parcel and some letters, then on up on to the moors and down hill all the way back home. We stuck to paths that were fairly dry. Unfortunately dry paths are also hard and uneven but at least we did not sink in the mud.

Just after lunch we had an unexpected parcel delivery. A box of wine, which I though Bob had ordered . He had not. On close examination of the label it was for number 32 not 22, so on our way out we knocked on the door of 32 and suggested when he could collect it. He did so at 4.30pm, and returned a few minutes later with a rather nice bottle of Chilean red, for our trouble. It was a nice surprise and we certainly did not deserve it for just passing on a message. However our neighbour insisted. In the evening we did a bit of online browsing for Christmas presents. There will be no shopping in shops this year.

I see our Covid numbers are back to where they were in early October, but I bet we still get put in Tier 3 today, even though the numbers go down by 30% almost daily. We shall see, but Boris clearly does not like Andy Burnham and I detect a bit of anti Greater Manchester because of it.

Otherwise have a good day all. Our plans today revolve around Bob and his U3A photography projects. We are out for a walk early so he can take some photos whilst the light is good. Take care all, think positive, keep busy, stay cheerful . Who knows, a bottle of wine or something else may land on your doorstep unexpectedly
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

...checking my doorstep for wine....
It ain’t happening... :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Knee back and hip are all my normal complaints Stanley"
I never said a word Sue! I think you are confusing me with Maz. She will be pleased about that!

I spent an hour and a half in the shed this morning and this is where I finished up. Quite a lot done actually but you'll have to look in shed matters for the details. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

So it was Stanley, as it happens I already do as she suggests :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall do an hour in the shed on the cylinder but will also be out at the Co-op as soon as they open to get my weekly shop while it's quiet.
Then the rest of the day takes care of itself.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Lovely atmospheric walk yesterday morning, ie the fog came down. It made Bob’s photography a bit difficult and we may have to retrace those steps another day. We found yet another path, which was good because we only met one other person, an elderly lady. I thought it was brave of her to be walking up on the moors by herself. My fabric arrived so I washed it and dried it in the drier and cut out my jeans. I embroidered the back pocket pieces and was pleased with the effect . I then tidied my sewing room, put the embroidery attachment away and am ready to do some ordinary sewing.

Today I shall not do dance exercise, though I am now beginning to suffer from general stiffness, due to lack of exercise. At 11.00 we are having our first U3A art zoom meeting. It will only be short to see how we get along. There are a few techno novices in art! I think today will just be a chat, and perhaps a short talk on techniques. . Then I think Bob and I will potter out some where as we don’t like to be in the house when Joanne comes. It may be one of those lovely ham and salad rolls for lunch or fish and chips. I think that depends on the ambient temperature. We will probably take a short walk For some more photography

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shan't be doing yoga, dance or pilates Sue.... It takes all my time to cope with walking!
I've had an hour in the shed and done my shopping, ready now for a walk and breakfast. Here's what I did in the hour I was in there.

Margaret's cylinder now has two drain cocks.... All quiet progress!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall have to have a think about the shed, not sure what to do next. At dinner time Mick is coming up and bringing his new plaything, the power washer. My yard and stone flags are to get a blasting!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

This morning is Bacup market, followed by a second breakfast of fresh croissants and coffee. We have no joint plans today, but no doubt Bob will go in his workshop and I shall continue making my new jeans. This new machine sews beautifully. It is so quiet compared to the last one.

Yesterday I had my zoom art meeting in the morning. It was good to chat. Several of tge members have been shielding since March so were really pleased to see everybody. I think there were 12 of us in total. Afterwards Bob treated me to lunch out😂. We went and bought fish and chips and took the car up on to the moor at Rooley Moor and just sat and admired the view. It was cold up there. The afternoon was sewing. At 6.45 pm I whats apped Eve for my weekly cookery lesson. Yesterday she made chocolate covered honeycomb toffee. So competent and such a good little presenter. Great role play too pretending we were there and giving is tastes. Apparently she spends the week browsing books and BBC GOOD FOOD looking for something to make with me on Friday nights

My lovely pilates teacher Deborah turned up at the door at about 5.00 pm, with a potted plant for me. She said she was concerned as she realised I had not missed any sessions since Match , except when we were away. Such a nice gesture. I assured her I was fine now, the severity of the back, knee and hip problem had gone and I would be back in action next week. Such a nice thought.

Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue..... A lot quieter here yesterday but today Mick comes and [great excitement!] power washes me flags for me.
I've had an hour in the shed, not a lot to show....

Just these four small but awkward bearing blanks. More to them than meets the idea and so little to get hold of under the mill! Now for a walk and breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its 0 degrees and raining here. Hope you wrapped up warm
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A beautiful day here, but hubby is working on the computer as usual ( a very annoying fact of life!).
I have done a bit of gardening- chopped back the Rosemary and took the opportunity to weed along the fence line whilst the neighbours are away. They have a little dog with a big personality who likes to challenge me along the fence line. I prefer not to get her too wound up ( she is a yapper).
Couldn’t quite finish what I set out to do, as I felt a few twinges and heeded the warning. Having a rest now until things calm down.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mick came and did the front and back yards in the rain and cold.

Funny how the yard looks bigger when it's clean!
I shall be attending to my small bearings and keeping warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I never ventured outside yesterday after our visit to the market. It was cold and wet all day. More of the same today I think. Its thick fog this morning. We can’t see the town flats from our bedroom window, not even the lights, a sure sign. I sewed most of the day and finished my jeans apart from the waistband. I completed most of assessment 7 of my archaeology course and in the evening had a supper of a cheese board whilst we sipped port, sherry and madeira as Jane gave her once a month guest appearance on our zoom U3A wine appreciation meeting. The topic was of course fortified wines, hence our cheese and tipple.

I presume today will be more of the same ( but not the cheese and port etc) . I am not doing yoga but will return to pilates tomorrow. I have an art project to do, a portrait, but the actual guidelines have not yet been emailed through, so it will be a day of ‘taking it as it comes’

Have a good day everyone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, as I am sure you will have noted Mick and I were outside for a lot of the day but it was worth it!
This morning I have had an hour and a half in the shed working on the small bearings. Small and fiddly!

But I got there, they are ready for fitting to the bed and the column now. I shall enjoy a well earned brekfast now and a listen to Radio 4 Broadcasting House then second sleep.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Working quietly away on the beam engine, not sure what exactly, I'll have to have a look at the rabbit later. Apart from that normal maintenance like sleep, exercise and keeping warm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

What a horrid day yesterday. We were surrounded by fog that got thicker and thicker. By 2.30 pm it was dark and we could barely see across the road. I ironed, sewed and finished my archaeology assessment 7, watched Saturdays Strictly come dancing, because I missed it at the time, made a roast chicken dinner, watched a VERA on ITV3 and it was time for bed!

Today is pilates this morning, then I shall put the button my jeans. We ought to go for a walk if it is reasonable. The fog has lifted but thats about the only plus. Its that time of the year and another three plus weeks of days getting shorter and darker. I think I will get my Christmas card list out and start writing those, cards nearly all home made this year way back in August . Those are my only plans, but I have an idea nurturing in the back of my mine for a bit of an embroidery machine challenge. Got to keep busy, its the time of year when I do get rather low mentally. Always have, with the lack of daylight.

Have a good day all. Covid numbers even in Rochdale have dropped right down from 602 a couple of weeks ago to 293. Thats got to be good news, even if it is the highest infection rate in Greater Manchester
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. I know exactly what you mean about the lack of light. Seasonal Affected Disorder does exist and I try to keep my lighting as bright as possible and get outside as often as possible. Not long now until the days start lengthening again.
I've just spent an hour and a half in the shed and now I am going for a short walk before breakfast and posting on shed matters. My defence against the gloom and the rain is to go back to bed for a couple of hours. It seems to work!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, I've had my walk and posted in shed matters. Here's what I have been up to this morning.

Clue, the beam now has a trunnion made, fitted, Loctited and dowelled to lock it in place. It's progress!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Replacing the 40+ year old radiator, in the dining room, with two efficient ones. One at either end of the room. Screwfix had an offer on and I got two 1200mm x 600mm double rads, with TRVs and lockshields, for £52.99 each. Bargain!

This also marks the start of moving stuff around for the fitting of new French doors in the spring.

Later

A bit of tweaking of the TRVs required, it's warm in here :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 10:52 Replacing the 40+ year old radiator, in the dining room, with two efficient ones. One at either end of the room. Screwfix had an offer on and I got two 1200mm x 600mm double rads, with TRVs and lockshields, for £52.99 each. Bargain!

This also marks the start of moving stuff around for the fitting of new French doors in the spring.

Later

A bit of tweaking of the TRVs required, it's warm in here :biggrin2:
Busy busy Kev, we did something like that 4 years ago. We were just looking at the photos yesterday . Looking impressive there Stanley.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”