CONTINUITY

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CONTINUITY

Post by Stanley »

We can't lose this nice thread. Let's get it going again!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CONTINUITY

Post by Stanley »

I find I am increasingly being reminded of my mother in the days of coal fires. Three months into my new stove I have re-discovered the fact that whilst coal firing has advantages it also makes dust! I might even have to have a mild dusting session!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Steady on!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite! I think I need a working party of daughters!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My father has Mrs Tiz sorting out his affairs now that he's moved into a town house. You wouldn't believe (or perhaps you would) the amount of bureaucracy and the number of bureaucratic errors that need sorting. For example the council have sent him his Council Tax statement and it's for the full amount instead of the amount after deduction of his benefit. When Mrs Tiz contacted them they just said "No problem, tear it up and we'll send him the correct one". Nobody seems interested in doing things right first time these days. On top of this we have the problems arising from my father's own errors, the ones you are bound to make when in your nineties and don't understand how this new world works. He had to renew his motor insurance (yes, still driving!) and ended up with the policy showing his old address instead of the new one. The insurance companies usually charge high fees now for correcting policies but the man at Swintons got it sorted for free (full points to Swintons).

Mrs Tiz went with Dad for his `introductory' visit to the new medical centre. The doctor asked him if he smoked and he said not since World War 2, which is correct within a few years. The doctor generously decided he could be a `non-smoker'. She asked if he drank alcohol regularly and he said "No" which is a bit cheeky considering his whiskey and cider every night - but then what does it matter when you're 93? It does a lot more positive than negative! His alcohol intake is far outweighed by his consumption of fruit every day - and they didn't ask him how many apples a day he ate! If they knew they'd use him in TV adverts like they do those old wizened but healthy Italian men in the olive oils ads.

The new house is a lot warmer, compact and cosier than the previous one, with a smaller garden and is in town and close to a Tesco Metro and other things like Post Office (pension!), library, medical centre, bank, shops. He's settled in now and beginning to work out what everyone in the street does minute by minute (he should work for GCHQ!). Thank goodness the TV reception is good otherwise we might have had to move him again (he has one in the lounge and one in the kitchen).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good for him and you as well. He's a braver man than me if he's still driving, modern traffic frightens me that's why I kicked driving into touch.
I have embarked on a sort of confirmation of my belief in the value of continuity this morning. My knees have been bothering me and were getting worse. I have been taking an Ibuprofen each morning but despite looking after myself the knees were getting worse. I decided to be brave this morning, not take painkillers and drink plenty of water. Let's see if they improve without the pain killers. I found out a couple of years ago that when I stopped taking my daily aspirin a lot of unexplained niggling pain went away. Here's hoping it works with me knees!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Comrade, Ibuprofen is not a good idea for diabetics as it has a propensity to cause liver problems to which diabetics are more prone. Far better with a standard painkiller. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Comrade, I didn't know about it. I've revived Medical Matters and if you look at that I have ditched the Ibuprofen and improving already. Your info could be the reason why I was being affected so badly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think I'm turning into my mother! I had a bit of a problem yesterday, what to do with the dripping out of my deep fat fryer which had reached its sell by date. Obviously anti-social to simply tip it down the drain which I'm afraid is the course adopted by many people so I decided to pour it on the coal in the bin outside where it would solidify, coat the coal and be disposed of by burning on the fire giving the benefit of the calorific gain as well. As I was doing it I suddenly remembered my mother doing exactly the same thing but in our case we had a coal cellar. She simply threw the fat on to the coal. Funny how these things come back to you after being forgotten for years.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was talking to one of my daughters yesterday and she told me she had got interested in knitting and was making an Arran sweater. Her mother and my mother were both knitters and we were wondering iof there is such a thing as a 'knitting gene'. It does seem to be something that runs in families.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Grandma's mum and daughter with our lot - all knitters. My mum could knit, read and follow what was on the radio or TV at the same time. Charlotte has studied knitting as part of her design course at Leeds Uni. Whilst others have shop bought covers for their Mac books she has a multicoloured hand knitted one!! Some of her knitting designs can be found here http://bygarlands.blogspot.co.uk/search ... -results=7 Nolic
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Certainly didn't come from me in Janet's case. Do you remember we had a good thread on hand knitters on the old site. I was telling Janet about the Kendal sock knitters yesterday and she's going to look them up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My mum knitted whilst watching TV, listening to radio or holding a conversation. We were never without warm woolly jumpers in winter. Self sufficiency, renewable materials and insulation are nothing new!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

I don't know about a knitting gene but my grandmother and mother could knit. I also knitted but due to being left handed both mother and grandmother lost patience in teaching me. Luckily my godmother also an excellent knitter taught me. Mam and I knitted exactly the same tension and if a garment was needed urgently knitted it together one doing the back and front and one doing the sleeves.

I tried to teach our granddaughter but she couldn't pick it up. So I think it wasn't so much a gene as a need to have warm garments cheaper that we knitted in the past now it's a hobby as garments are cheaper to buy than knit. I hope it becomes popular with the younger generations as it was a dying art.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm still telling people about Charlotte's knitted lap top cover!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Dare I mention this?...oh well, here goes....when I was a wee child my mum taught me how to knit and I made a scarf for my teddy bear. My dad thought it was a cissy thing to do and it was the last time I knitted and I wouldn't know how to even start now. What a shame that so many men think knitting is only for girls. They'll use a lathe to make wood or metal things and be proud of it but they wouldn't try knitting. And you can't use a lathe and watch TV at the same time like you can with knitting!
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

At our primary school knitting was for everyone, big wooden needles used to knit dish cloths
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Whilst my dad was recuperating after being wounded in France just after D Day he was taught embroidery and made a few flower embroidered place mats and antimacassars. I wouldn't have bet on anyone calling him a cissy.......other than himself!! Nolic
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of our favourite occupations during the war was French Knitting using a wooden bobbin with four nails driven in one end. We made the cord into place mats.

Tiz, I can!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Is that a G-Plan sideboard I see? We've got one just like it and the wood has faded in the same way too! We bought it new in 1979, a good investment that has lasted well for 33 years. Who needs DFS!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Spot on! And I'll bet like mine, if you close the cupboard door sharply the drawer above pops out a little, so well built they are airtight. I have two and the one in the kitchen has the 'Welsh dresser' shelves on top. I bought mine at the same time. Was the firm named Gomme? In case you're wondering, no holes were drilled in the top of the sideboard, the lathe sits in it's hardwood tray firmly by weight alone. Beautifully made of real wood.

And yes, it's well populated!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We still have a G-Plan dining table and chairs and, yes, it was Gomme who made the furniture. In those days we saved up until we could afford something of good quality so that it would last - and by golly it did last! I'm glad you haven't drilled the sideboard - a recent newspaper article said G-Plan was becoming collectable because people are recognising the quality is better than a lot of new and relatively expensive furniture. We also have a couple of Ercol chairs and a very solid elm kitchen table we bought from John Lewis, all in the late 1970s and still going strong!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think we may have the same criteria about furniture. I bought a suite of bedroom furniture by G Plan at the same time. Superb quality and I have never regretted the cost.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking as I walked round this morning about the days when we didn't all have a fridge. We have forgotten about twice daily milk deliveries because it went sour in about four hours because of impurities and the temperature. If something was cooked it had to be eaten that day and everyday shopping was the rule for all perishable foods. We got to be experts at sniffing food before we used it to see if it was tainted and doubtless had better immune systems to common bacteria because they were far more common and we were all ingesting them. These skills have vanished with the advent of fridges and sell-by dates rule. I wonder if more food is thrown away these days because of out of date labels than there was in the days when our noses were the only protection we had?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

In the house we lived in at Victoria nr Hepworth, there was a cellar that had a stone table 8 x 4 ft and recesses in the walls, the thought was that it was once part of a butchers shop ?, my father put fly proof mesh doors on the recesses they were then used as storage for food, not fridges but they did extend food life

Return to “Nostalgia”