ENERGY MATTERS

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Big Kev »

I'm expecting to hear about my electricity tariff soon from E.on Next, the fix expires in April. Gas is fixed until June so the change won't happen all at once.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 15:10I know Peter and David are with Octopus and am wondering if they have had their projected estimates?
Nothing seen here yet. We've still got that excitement to come! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't heard anything from BG but expect it to almost double as I fixed at what looks now to be a ridiculously low price.
David, Re Cuadrilla.... Par for the course isn't it. Just when they could be useful, order them to be plugged. The story of energy policy down the decades.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Didn't I hear one of the government "experts" say that there was no evidence anywhere in the world that gas can be extracted from shale?

If I heard correctly and I believe I did, that bloke needs locking up. They can give his salary to me. :extrawink:

One thing that struck me on our energy projection is that Electric is cheaper than Gas, it was always the other way round in our house.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 10:07 One thing that struck me on our energy projection is that Electric is cheaper than Gas, it was always the other way round in our house.
That's a scary thought, elec per KWh is around 5 times the price of gas. I was of the impression prices were increasing by 50%, have they got their figures right Ian?
These are my current tariffs, there would have to be a massive increase for the gas to be more expensive than the elec, far more than 50%.
20220212_103306.jpg
20220212_103230.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is sack BG service department day and as part of that I've been checking my fixed tariff which expires on 30 April. It's 18.236 per kWh for leccy and 3.254 per kWh for gas.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Electricity prices are going to be jiggled so that heating a home by gas boiler will be slightly more expensive than heating it by a heat pump. I'm still not sure what happens about hot water for washing and showering in the heat pump house. Will that water have to be heated separately by electricity or will the heat pump alone be capable of raising the temperature high enough, I wonder?

The man that Panbiker heard saying shale gas can't be extracted from rock should be sent to the British Geological Survey for re-training:
Shale gas extraction LINK
Shale gas: LINK

More on fusion here...
`Fusion race kicked into high gear by smart tech' LINK
.. but what caught my attention was this bit on the phenomenal temperatures required...
The "Norman" device powers its reactions with "regular" hydrogen and deuterium - a more benign, if less potent choice. But these are good surrogates for the fuel TAE eventually wants to move on to - hydrogen and boron. This produces no neutron particles and therefore little radioactivity, making machines straightforward to service and maintain. But this fuel also requires extremely high temperatures. C2W "Norman" operates at around 70 million degrees C, but hydrogen-boron fuel requires temperatures to rise by a factor of 20-30, to several billion degrees C. It's a major challenge: "Powers of ten are a big deal in science," says Binderbauer, "Can we get to hydrogen-boron? I'm very convinced we can."
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a look at THIS..... Technology for wireless transfer of energy to a moving vehicle.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 14:22 Have a look at THIS..... Technology for wireless transfer of energy to a moving vehicle.
The concept has been around for several years, it's good to see a few projects actually running. It needs to be far more widespread as an option or they'll never get enough people signing up for EVs.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

How does it work? How can so much energy be transferred wirelessly and safely? (Answers on a postcard please!) :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I Managed to speak to British Gas. If they do whaT THEY HAVE SAID I have cancelled my service contract and alerted them to the fact the gaS METER isn't reporting. I have also persuaded them to bill me monthly for my energy. 3/4 of an hour on the phone. Deep Joy!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 11:47 How does it work? How can so much energy be transferred wirelessly and safely? (Answers on a postcard please!) :smile:
I would imagine it'll only be a 'trickle' charge. My toothbrush takes nearly 12 hours to charge using induction.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Mine charges in 4 - 6 hours but it uses a contact base. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 11:53 I Managed to speak to British Gas. If they do whaT THEY HAVE SAID I have cancelled my service contract and alerted them to the fact the gaS METER isn't reporting. I have also persuaded them to bill me monthly for my energy. 3/4 of an hour on the phone. Deep Joy!!
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

E.on Next got in touch, I have 45 days left on my current elec tariff
Screenshot_20220215-111250_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That doesn't look too bad Kev.
BG have fulfilled one promise, charged me for my January gas and leccy on the correct day! Yippee!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Newspaper reports that Pendle is eighth highest in the country for fuel bills at £900 per year. A lot of this put down to the fact that their houses are poorly insulated. I'm not sure how they define 'fuel' whether this is for heating only or the total electricity and gas consumption. My total is X 2+ this amount which during winter months is roughly split equal between E & G.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 12:09
Tizer wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 11:47 How does it work? How can so much energy be transferred wirelessly and safely? (Answers on a postcard please!) :smile:
I would imagine it'll only be a 'trickle' charge. My toothbrush takes nearly 12 hours to charge using induction.
Aha, so we're only talking about charging small gadgets while in the car? I looked at the web site and it was all about electric cars so it seemed to suggest they meant charging the car by wireless means!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 16 Feb 2022, 10:10
Big Kev wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 12:09
Aha, so we're only talking about charging small gadgets while in the car? I looked at the web site and it was all about electric cars so it seemed to suggest they meant charging the car by wireless means!
No, my toothbrush probably wasn't a good analogy. I was talking about only a 'trickle' charge for the car batteries.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The general thinking on wireless charging is to set the charging unit in the ground and place the pickup as close as possible to the surface. Bigger air gaps would require more power and generate more heat at the surface possibly melting tarmac. This may work for short driveways and communal parking spaces but its a big project to ask councils to dig up their roads so individual householders can charge their cars.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I would like to see how any sort of public charging would work where I live on the Croft. Hardly anyone parks outside their own house as there isn't any room. My car is 50 to 100m away from my house on a different street. I don't think it would work asking the neighbours if you could plug it in. :extrawink:

I have a mains socket in the back yard but can't park a car in the back street as it would block it for emergency vehicle access.

The second hand market for electric vehicles is going to be interesting. A whole new skill set required to ensure the batteries aren't buggered. :extrawink: :laugh5:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Our power went off at 3.30pm following a 72mph gust. Just learned that 2 poles fell on the tops above us. Colin's battery back up system is working well so far, oil fired heating and cooker, fridge and freezer, TV and WiFi all functioning with only 20% of battery used so far. Early bed I think!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 10:50 These are my current tariffs, there would have to be a massive increase for the gas to be more expensive than the elec, far more than 50%.
Not certain about the present British Gas for mum, as for various reasons not using gas. So it is an expensive electrics and I cannot work out what EDF rate will be from April 1st when present fix expires. There is an alternative fix but it has a £100 early termination charge. I cannot also figure why the standing charge is so highly increased (greater percentage say, than the State Pension increase rate). (its London, so prices do vary by the old supply regions.
End date 31 March 2022 Unit rate Old (on face of it looks like Eon would have been cheaper originally, when did you fix it ?)
Electricity day rate: 18.80 p per kWh Electricity
Electricity night rate: 9.95 p per kWh.Electricity
Daily standing charge Electricity: 23.01p per day
New
Unit Day rate: 36.25p Night rate: 20.50 pence
Daily standing charge 32.23p
(that overall looks a bit cheaper than the present Eon 2 year fix, what is their fix like compared to the Standard Tariff ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was wondering about you Wendy as I watched the wires and TV aerials dancing about down here in the shelter of the town. I hope they get you back online as soon as possible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Whyperion wrote: 16 Feb 2022, 23:48
Big Kev wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 10:50 These are my current tariffs, there would have to be a massive increase for the gas to be more expensive than the elec, far more than 50%.
Not certain about the present British Gas for mum, as for various reasons not using gas. So it is an expensive electrics and I cannot work out what EDF rate will be from April 1st when present fix expires. There is an alternative fix but it has a £100 early termination charge. I cannot also figure why the standing charge is so highly increased (greater percentage say, than the State Pension increase rate). (its London, so prices do vary by the old supply regions.
End date 31 March 2022 Unit rate Old (on face of it looks like Eon would have been cheaper originally, when did you fix it ?)
Electricity day rate: 18.80 p per kWh Electricity
Electricity night rate: 9.95 p per kWh.Electricity
Daily standing charge Electricity: 23.01p per day
New
Unit Day rate: 36.25p Night rate: 20.50 pence
Daily standing charge 32.23p
(that overall looks a bit cheaper than the present Eon 2 year fix, what is their fix like compared to the Standard Tariff ?
The Eon v4 fix for elec started April 2020. The 'flex' tariff is their standard variable rate. This for elec from April 1st 2022
20220217_072628.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”