Food and other goods shortages 2022

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Food and other goods shortages 2022

Post by PanBiker »

A new topic for the stuff that you have noticed is no longer on the shelves or readily available in the shops. I have put in the history forum as it is a sign of the current times.

My first offering not an essential but men's solid stick deodorants have been absent for about six months. Major brands such as Sure and Lynx, (same but different label).
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Food and other goods shortages 2022

Post by Whyperion »

Dont know about that specific, but the general impact seems to be (in no particular order) Brexit, Ukraine War, Extreme Climate Changes, Displacement of Trading Ships as a result of covid including knock on of container availability, price of energy ( reducing CO2 availability and animal products as a result of that ), Covid ( lack of truck drivers, Chinese Production down and curtailed from some places ).

Is it me or is the size of the grains of rice in Aldi Rice Krispies (75p a packet) smaller than the ASDA / Sainsburys ones (£1 /£1.05 a packet) ?

Plenty of Apples in some of my neighbours gardens going to waste, they dont seem to be that interested in attempting to harvest windfalls or those left on high/any branches.

Cadburys Chocolate Christmas Decorations are in ASDA now, those tins / roundish plastic boxes of multi sweet chocolate confections are also in most supermarkets at the price busting £4 a go , (more or less). ALDI this evening had trays of bread type roll things wrapped for tomorrow I guess.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The main thing I have noticed in the Co-op is the thin stocking in the greengrocery section. Good job we have Chaudrey's to make up the gaps. I think that at first this was largely due to the drought but now may be an indication of shortages because crops haven't been planted earlier in the year when supermarket buyers hadn't caught up with the massive increase in input costs.
It will get worse...
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We see lots of things missing from the shelves or only available in one size, colour, type etc. Also many substituted products, usually of a lower quality. Crafty pricing tricks too like combining a change in price and content with a 3 for price of 2 offer or similar so the customer can't easily work out what the overall result is in terms of cost per unit of weight or volume. The Cunning Wheeze Department must be in overdrive. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 02:16 The main thing I have noticed in the Co-op is the thin stocking in the greengrocery section.
Aldi always seems to have lots of veg.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Ian but if you have mobility problems and no car Aldi is not accessible. The Town Square is and so Chaudrey's is my alternative.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I might have been wrong about Christmas and Asda - it was one of mums local Sainsburys mid sized stores (well the size in the 1960s would have been a supermarket). None of the supermarket sized ones seem to be selling 1 pint of Milk. The hypermarket has them £1.05 for a pint , £1.35 for a two pint bottle. I bought 2 pints and decided I would make custard with the amount in excess of my needs for the day.

Return to “Miscellaneous History Topics”