Weaving Delaine

PollyLynn
Donor

Weaving Delaine

Post by PollyLynn »

Hi, you all,

How are you?

My relatives[?] were Delainer hand loom weavers, having a son who in 1851 was a cotton powerloom weaver. I have read on this website that of the people who became powerloom weavers some had left handweaving and those people tended to be cotton weavers, leaving the last to convert to be Delainer weavers. This comment from this website suggests to me that Delainer weavers were not cotton weavers. If not cotton, then were Delainer weavers weavers of wool? And de laine in French would mean of wool. Would some wool weavers of north Yorkshire come from France or did at least the term delaine come from France? And would that term have come from France when French Huguenots fled France because of religious persecution, the way they fled France for Ireland? And given that French terms entered the English language at a higher level and the British probably had a term for woolen weaver--it being woolen weaver--did delaine mean something more precise than just weaver or wool, like weaver of wool shawls?

Not so interested in the French, my main question would be were the parents of William Harrison of Barnoldswick delainer weavers and what did that mean? How could the father Phillip Harrison junior (1807 Swinden near Gisburn to 1867 Skipton, married Martha Cooper) have been both a wool (or whatever) weaver and a butcher (1861 at Skipton) at the same time? The 1851 Census shows that son William Harrison (born in 1807) was a cotton power loom weaver whereas both parents were Delainer hand loom weavers. Thank you.

Polly LYNN
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Weaving Delaine

Post by PanBiker »

Hi Polly, you may not have picked up on my comment in your previous thread regarding this area of the site. Any posts in this Practice Posting thread are automatically deleted after a few days. As the thread has a local historical question I will move it into the Local History forum. I will leave a shadow topic here which will automatically be deleted in a few days.

If you have a post topic that isn't suitable for any of the existing forums, just note this in your post and I can add suitable forums if required.

I doesn't matter if you drop odd posts into the wrong forums they can always be moved.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The annotation 'delaine' in the census returns has no more significance than distinguishing a weaver of wool from cotton, silk or flax.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PollyLynn
Donor

Post by PollyLynn »

Thank you on Delaine (wool).

I was aware that my posts would be deleted after 7 days and that they were being moved. Perhaps my one just now today about the trail for Phili could be moved to be permanent. It might help future Harrison researchers get on the right trail.

Thank you also on the apprenticeship question.

Polly
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

PollyLynn wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 12:15 I was aware that my posts would be deleted after 7 days and that they were being moved. Perhaps my one just now today about the trail for Phili could be moved to be permanent. It might help future Harrison researchers get on the right trail.
Moved to Ongoing Family Research.

Your posts are bit more substantial than what normally goes in that thread. When posting new topics it's a lot easier just to find an appropriate forum which is relevant to the subject.

The search bots and spiders that permanently scan the site will find the posts wherever they are located but if they have been indexed and then auto deleted anyone turning up the hit in a Google or other search engine will get an empty return, usually a 404 file not found. Best not to confuse the bots in the first place. As I post there are currently four international search bots and spiders trolling the posts.
Ian

Return to “Local History Topics”