COLD CALLS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COLD CALLS

Post by Stanley »

I only get cold calls on the landline and don't answer that unless I am expecting a call. I am seriously thinking of ditching the landline completely as I have no contract for it and if I use it I get charged a fortune.....
In fact you triggered me into disconnecting the hand sat and putting it in a cupboard. Let's see if I can manage without it.... Thanks Peter!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I received a call on the land-line this morning to tell me that my debit card has been compromised. The call was to notify me of two withdrawals, the first for £300.00 apparently to test the account, followed swiftly by a nice £1100.00 pillage. I didn't hang around to find out how this MAGIC was possible when the account has no overdraft facility and has no more than £60.00 in it at any one time. Number was withheld which was a bit of a give away. :extrawink: Sadly some folk will still fall for this con trick.

Keeping my eyes peeled for the next TalkTalk bill to see if they have removed the free UK calls boost on my land line as promised. Nothing has changed on my package on the website but it is still busted in that respect. No rebate yet as promised for the boost paid this month. I have the full transcript of the chat session I had to cancel the boost and I have also received an email telling me that the boost has been removed. They haven't got a leg to stand on. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

There have been many items about scammers recently. The latest was last night when what I thought was a relevant point was raised.
It's more difficult to spot the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences in format of an email when viewed on a phone rather than on a full size computer screen.

I had my robot voice lady agin. This time I told her there was no access to my loft, and I hadn't a clue what was in there. She lost patience and hung up. Childish - but what else can you do. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If all else fails and for a laugh. If it's obviously a scam call you can always talk pigeon Easter European, just make it up as you go along. :smile: A bit of Aussie like voice intonation so it sound like you are asking a lot of questions. That always does the trick. :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only 100% successful way of avoiding these scammers I have found is don't answer the phone. If someone wants to convey something really important to you they will find a way even if it's snail mail. There is nothing amusing about scammers, they should all be consigned to the hottest parts of hell.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 02:27 The only 100% successful way of avoiding these scammers I have found is don't answer the phone.
Not always practical though, I have call screening set up and I can't remember the last time I had a cold or scam call.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

WE have call screening / barring as well Kev. I added the new one of course so wont get bothered again with that one.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 09:14 WE have call screening / barring as well Kev. I added the new one of course so wont get bothered again with that one.
It has certainly made a difference, the benefit of knowing who is calling (if they choose to speak to the technology) is very useful. I don't have many on the 'approved' list as most people contact me on WhatsApp and email. TalkTalk must consider it to be an essential as it's included with their package. :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

As mentioned elsewhere, one through the net. Land line rings from a withheld number. A few clicks and then a recorded voice telling me that my "card" has seen suspicious activity, a payment of £100 to Walmart and most disturbingly an £11,00 withdrawal to an unspecified Western Union account. Please press 1 to talk to a security representative. I am aware that credit cards are valid worldwide but Walmart and Western Union, really! I pressed buttons but only the ones to bar the caller. Not in the mood today to bait a scammer. :gatlin:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This is a first.
Cold call from an Indian gentleman on my land line, who said he was from Sky insurance or some such, and did I have any problems with anything? I said 'no everything's fine' so he said 'that would be £90'. I asked him how stupid did he think I was and he immediately hung up.

So far so normal. I then did 1471 and got an ordinary looking London phone number. I dialled it and to my surprise it rang. No one answered so I hung up. I was rung back straight away, and I've just had a nice conversation with a lovely lady who tells me she has only just been allocated the number. I apologised for troubling her and explained what had happened.

Put me down as 'puzzled' (again). :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm beginning to think there are definite upsides to being anti-social. Not missed unplugging my landline. Everyone who needs to contact me seems to be managing nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Potential phishing call from +447977599544 claiming to be NatWest bank. They didn't know my name despite putting my number into 'the system' twice. Disconnected call and number blocked.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed when talking to Talktalk about my broadband service that they asked me what my preferred method of communication was. We may have moved beyond the assumption that we all have a landline connected.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Another call from NatWest asking to review my account from +447711764284 this time. Politely told them no thanks and number blocked.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My mobile keeps blocking a call, (marks it as spam) from a Blackburn area STD. I popped the number in "Who called me" and it says it belongs to a telemarketing company. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

+447711764284 flags up on whocalledme as well.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's difficult to cope with these people. I get them regularly on my land line - which I set aside for personal calls which may be very important. I know you can get software to only let known callers through, but I can't be bothered with it all.

Unusually I had two calls within ten minutes yesterday. I told an Indian gentleman precisely where to go, and he instantly reciprocated the sentiment. The "local energy consultant" lady who is in fact a machine, on being told I had converted my loft, said "Ok we'll leave it there then". I bet 'she' calls again though. :smile: I wonder what the appropriate pronouns are for an AI creation?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 14:19 It's difficult to cope with these people. I get them regularly on my land line - which I set aside for personal calls which may be very important. I know you can get software to only let known callers through, but I can't be bothered with it all.
TalkTalk just switched it on when I asked, it's only my mobile that gets the odd cold call now.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've not found a downside yet to putting my landline in the cupboard. But yes, I have had cold calls to my mobile. I don't speak to them, just block them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 01 Oct 2023, 01:52 I've not found a downside yet to putting my landline in the cupboard.
I trust you cancelled any 'calls' boost payment?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 01 Oct 2023, 06:36 I trust you cancelled any 'calls' boost payment?
If you have it good luck with that. Talk Talk have eventually cancelled, (in a way) my free UK calls boost but can't take it off the account! We are now in the stupid situation that it still shows on my package and they charge me for it each month then rebate for the boost. Something is broken that they can't seem to fix. :sad:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I must have been lucky, they sorted mine straight away. I changed from 'free' anytime calls to the paid for evening and weekend calls.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only time I have ever modified my Talktalk account was when I cancelled Free International Calls at £5 a month but that was in the days when you rang them and it happened instantly.
As you know, I am a firm believer in avoiding all such changes. I don't believe any large organisation today has adequate staff in place or expertise to do anything beyond routine maintenance on their systems. The profit God has see to that.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”