Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Today I have the same nagging little aches and pains that followed the last Covid jab..... I shall take care of myself! :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is on the front page of today's Telegraph but I don't have access to it and at the moment can't find any other info on the Web. The claim doesn't surprise me...
One dose of antibiotics a year ‘raises risk of sepsis by 70pc’
Scientists say exposure to the tablets and ‘adverse effects on the beneficial bacteria in the gut could lead to increased risk of infection’. A single course of antibiotics raises the risk of developing sepsis by 70 per cent for a year after taking them, a new study of NHS patients has revealed...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 02:41 Today I have the same nagging little aches and pains that followed the last Covid jab..... I shall take care of myself! :biggrin2:
I would have thought you would have been over any side effect of the jab Stanley after nine days. :dontgetit:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 09:49 One dose of antibiotics a year ‘raises risk of sepsis by 70pc’
Scientists say exposure to the tablets and ‘adverse effects on the beneficial bacteria in the gut could lead to increased risk of infection’. A single course of antibiotics raises the risk of developing sepsis by 70 per cent for a year after taking them, a new study of NHS patients has revealed...
I don't want to over reach my self here but is this not a case of confusing relative risk with absolute risk? Sir Patrick Vallance the Chief Scientific Officer said at the Covid enquiry recently that he could not get Boris Johnson to understand it. Many will read that headline and conclude that they have a 70% chance of sepsis, after taking antibiotics.

Of all those who receive antibiotics, how many go on to develop sepsis in the following year. I would suggest it is a very small number indeed. So 70 % added to a very small number is still a very small number. (multiply by 1.7). This is a guess - perhaps from 1 in a thousand to 1.7 in a thousand? It must surely be of that order, and still a tiny absolute risk.

Compare that number to to the number who would surely have developed very serious consequences hasd they not had the antibiotics - and their benefit becomes clear. If you have any doubts about it - read the causes of death in the 19th centuiry.

"Scientist say" a lot of things. I usually want to know - who did the research, and most importantly who funded it?
I haven't looked here. The over prescribing of antibiotics has been a 'thing' for years now. Surely all Doctors are aware of it, but it fills column inches from time to time.

We must think more deeply, and try to keep an open mind. I try to. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I agree with you and neither of us has seen the details of the research paper. I haven't even seen the full Telegraph story. What I saw was in a `nib' at the bottom of the front page. Perhaps other news outlets understood it and judged it not worth reporting - although that would be odd considering much else that they report! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, that post was 9 days ago....... I have no residual pains......
Peter and David, I don't understand the difference between relative and absolute risk but then I don't think I need to. Like Peter I think that some increase is quite possible, I always worry about the affect of antibiotics on my natural immune system which I think is pretty good.
I was just thinking and I can't remember when I was last given ABs. One thing is certain, it was a long time ago!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, I see my error now, I looked at Peters following post and made the incorrect assumption that yours was a similar time. Anyway, glad you are over it. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 15:33I agree with you
That's a relief. . . :smile:
Stanley wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 02:51 , I don't understand the difference between relative and absolute risk but then I don't think I need to.
That's a shame. I'd say everyone needs to - but it's not compulsory. Feel free to be uninformed, if that's what you wish.

As with the list of logical fallacies - it helps to see when people are trying to deceive you - which is most of the time. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wow! I ordered my repeat prescription online at NHS Access on Monday morning and I received a text at lunchtime today, Wednesday, saying they are ready for me at the Well Pharmacy! That's what it should be like all the time. :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 16:21 Wow! I ordered my repeat prescription online at NHS Access on Monday morning and I received a text at lunchtime today, Wednesday, saying they are ready for me at the Well Pharmacy! That's what it should be like all the time. :smile:
I ordered mine online yesterday morning, on the Chemist-4-U app. Had a confirmation email at 08:39 this morning to say my GP had authorised it, another email at 18:30 this evening to say it had been despatched. It's up to Royal Mail now, going on previous deliveries it should be here Friday lunchtime :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Big Kev wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 19:14 I ordered mine online yesterday morning, on the Chemist-4-U app.
Thanks Kev for the advice about using this app. It has saved me hours of queuing in the chemist shop over the last couple of months..! :good:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My prescription is a repeat and triggers every third week of the month without me doing anything. I was told not to order it like I used to, there was no need. Most months it works but then the surgery and the pharmacy (I can never make out which of the two)have a blue spell and I have to call in to enquire why nothing has happened.
This seems to be par for the course and I am loth to make it any worse.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PostmanPete wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 20:53
Big Kev wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 19:14 I ordered mine online yesterday morning, on the Chemist-4-U app.
Thanks Kev for the advice about using this app. It has saved me hours of queuing in the chemist shop over the last couple of months..! :good:
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 19:14
Tizer wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 16:21 Wow! I ordered my repeat prescription online at NHS Access on Monday morning and I received a text at lunchtime today, Wednesday, saying they are ready for me at the Well Pharmacy! That's what it should be like all the time. :smile:
I ordered mine online yesterday morning, on the Chemist-4-U app. Had a confirmation email at 08:39 this morning to say my GP had authorised it, another email at 18:30 this evening to say it had been despatched. It's up to Royal Mail now, going on previous deliveries it should be here Friday lunchtime :good:
Notification from Royal Mail at 8 this morning, it's out for delivery today :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 13:20
Big Kev wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 19:14
Notification from Royal Mail at 8 this morning, it's out for delivery today :good:
Royal Mail have let me down, got a notification to say they can't deliver until tomorrow. I can live with that, I predicted Friday...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Big Kev wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 16:10

Royal Mail have let me down, got a notification to say they can't deliver until tomorrow. I can live with that, I predicted Friday...
I feel embarrassed to be called PostmanPete. Can I change my user name...? :laugh5:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PostmanPete wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 19:54

I feel embarrassed to be called PostmanPete. Can I change my user name...? :laugh5:
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No need for that Pete.... Nobody is blaming you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's back...
`Norovirus: Winter vomiting virus cases rising' LINK
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 10:34 It's back...
`Norovirus: Winter vomiting virus cases rising' LINK
Lovely :upside_down:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PostmanPete wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 19:54

I'll let you off this time Pete :biggrin2:

Notification this morning that it's due for delivery today.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Drugs arrived :good:
IMG_20231201_120414~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

You'd have got them on time if it had been on my watch...! :biggrin2:
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good: :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”