ENERGY MATTERS

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Big Kev »

I used £115 of gas from November 6th to December 6th. I'm sure I'll be using a bit more over the coming months, the gas account is over £300 in credit so all is good. I might even have a bit left once the weather starts warming up in the spring.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Roughly the same here Kev with Octopus our gas was £98.92 between 5th October and 4th November. We are also in credit a bit more than you so no worries. Can always ask for any excess credit back in Spring. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The hoody - very cosy - don't knock it till you've tried it. . . :laugh5:

hoody.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm all for cosy David and would never knock it. You do what you have to!
My gas usage was £69 2 Nov to 1 Dec and again they say I used less. Compared to Kev and Ian that's low, can I begin to suspect that I am looking at a very efficient boiler? I'm keeping a warm house..... not cutting down at all.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 23:00 The hoody - very cosy - don't knock it till you've tried it. . . :laugh5:
Will you be hatching out next spring? :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 16:46 I used £115 of gas from November 6th to December 6th. I'm sure I'll be using a bit more over the coming months, the gas account is over £300 in credit so all is good. I might even have a bit left once the weather starts warming up in the spring.
Elec came in at £90 for the same period, it's pretty consistent throughout the year at that.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

According to my statement I only used £75 worth from Nov 2 to Dec 1again less than you but I smell a rat. Both gas and leccy are estimated despite having second generation smart meters. I shall do a reading of both on January 1st but unless something has changed I won't know how to send them in because my statement doesn't allow self readings because my smart meters were supposedly fixed. Any advice on that Kev?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 09 Dec 2023, 02:46 I shall do a reading of both on January 1st but unless something has changed I won't know how to send them in because my statement doesn't allow self readings because my smart meters were supposedly fixed. Any advice on that Kev?
I presume BG have an option to send in reads on their website. Once you've logged into your account have a look around.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Will do, thanks Kev......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My electric was £82 for the same period Kev. My gas meter is supposed to be smart but it doesn't work as such, I read it when I remember. Easy enough on Octopus to send in readings online. My electric meter still works as smart. I usually send both readings in regardless.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Apologies to those with a hatred of the Daily Mail - but this should be read by all.

Once again Andrew Neil is on the money. Some interesting numbers there, and Neil's research and accuracy is legendary.

COP 28 Dubai
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hold no brief for Andrew Neill but I agree with you David, of course he's right and I think that part of the perceived lack of support or interest in policies to reduce use of fossil energy and consequent damage to Nature is due to the unpalatability of the messages we are given and the unspoken corollary that is never mentioned, the role of population growth.....
Nature has her own way of regulating us, it's slow but very certain, she allows us to be killed off/decline as the results of climate change alter the earth's capacity to support life. I have fathered three daughters and they have produced 6 children and three great grandchildren and counting... I am part of the cause.....
(I make it even worse by living beyond the normal span.....)
(PS. What struck me was what a confused jumble that web page is.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, I dived into British Gas to try to find a way of submitting manual meter readings. There is nothing, every lead takes you back to your web page which tells you that your smart meters are working.
I eventually fell back on a letter written and sent snail mail to the BG complaints management team at Rotherham. I told them the problem and gave them a current reading for both meters. Now we watch and wait.
What I found was disturbing, the estimated readings for leccy are near enough but the one for gas is way too low. That explains my 'low consumption'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 12:39 Kev, I dived into British Gas to try to find a way of submitting manual meter readings. There is nothing, every lead takes you back to your web page which tells you that your smart meters are working.
I think you may be able to use this without logging into your account https://www.britishgas.co.uk/meter-reads-form.html
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very strange Kev. I had that link and it didn't work. This time it did. Thanks. Now we wait and see......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good stuff :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When you think about it this whole 'smart meter' concept is a disgrace.... All that money (which we pay in the end) spent and a system that isn't guaranteed to work. Do we have any figures for what percentage of smart meters actually work?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 03:11 Do we have any figures for what percentage of smart meters actually work?
Around 4.5%, that's 1.4 million in actual numbers, don't communicate.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I took a closer look ay my energy bill yesterday. It seems to be designed (and I've thought this for some time now) to actually conceal what it really happening. I was told by Octopus that it would be increasing in January 2024 and I could take a rate fixed for a year or go to a tarriff which reflects market price and changes very often to reflect that. That would involve having a smart meter which I really don't want - so not a starter.

My current tarriff I have discovered is
E. 27.931 pence per kWh plus standing charge 42.01 pence per day.
G. 6.78 pence per kWh plus standing charge 26.47 pence per day.
The gas meter actually measure in "units" not kWh but it can be converted by multiplying by about 11. So about 71.28 pence per unit.

They have offerd me (to fix for a year).
E 28.21 42.01
G 7.07 27.47

This is in fact an increase on current rate - but how does it compare with the new rate due in January? I can't find out since they speak of costs for an average property and an increase in the 'price cap'. All meaningless to me.

Carry on as normal and just ignore it all. . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 12:13 I took a closer look ay my energy bill yesterday. It seems to be designed (and I've thought this for some time now) to actually conceal what it really happening. I was told by Octopus that it would be increasing in January 2024 and I could take a rate fixed for a year or go to a tarriff which reflects market price and changes very often to reflect that. That would involve having a smart meter which I really don't want - so not a starter.

My current tarriff I have discovered is
E. 27.931 pence per kWh plus standing charge 42.01 pence per day.
G. 6.78 pence per kWh plus standing charge 26.47 pence per day.
The gas meter actually measure in "units" not kWh but it can be converted by multiplying by about 11. So about 71.28 pence per unit.

They have offerd me (to fix for a year).
E 28.21 42.01
G 7.07 27.47

This is in fact an increase on current rate - but how does it compare with the new rate due in January? I can't find out since they speak of costs for an average property and an increase in the 'price cap'. All meaningless to me.

Carry on as normal and just ignore it all. . . . . :smile:
From 1 January 2024, for a typical user paying by direct debit, the unit rate will be 29p/kWh for electricity and 7p/kWh for gas. The average daily standing charge will be 53 p/day for electricity and 30 p/day for gas.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for that. If that's the case then there's not enough in it to fix for a year.

Who knows what will happen by then. . . . Price might even come down. :extrawink:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I fixed mine in July, the kWh rates are the same as January but the daily charge is 45p and 23p. Swings and roundabouts really.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"It seems to be designed (and I've thought this for some time now) to actually conceal what it really happening."
I totally agree with you David. I have had an offer to fix my rate at a price (not specified) cheaper than what will be the rate after the increase. Like you I decided to ignore it on the grounds that if British Gas want me to fix it must be of benefit to them. Otherwise why do it?
And what value is there in anything proposed by a company who can't even tell how much gas I am using?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Cop 28 - latest. Yes they are still hard at it. A touch ironic? Hands up those who had ever heard of him. :smile:

Downing Street confirms that Net Zero Minister Graham Stuart has flown back from #COP28 to vote on the Rwanda Bill tonight…But says he will be flying back to Dubai for the end of the climate summit.

Perahps it's time to get the parliamentary voting system into the present century?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”