MickBrett
Donor

Re: Bonny Colne

Post by MickBrett »

Super images, Wendy ! Thanks so much :good:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Couldn't get them on the same page as Wendy posted them as attachments which don't show up in a quote but here are the same views today. Both images from Google Street View.

Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

In both old and new photos you can see the lowest gable end of Basil Street where we own the house our son lives in. It's one of the few remaining streets with it's original setts and flagged pavements...just had the roof redone and I certainly wouldn't have fancied working on that slope!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Back to Colne lane and the now demolished Inghamite Church I just happened to be on Colne Ln yesterday so I took a couple of pictures of what has been left behind in the play ground. Not much but enough to remind you what went before. Well done Colne.

IMG_20220824_134727514.jpg
IMG_20220824_134803222_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

An exhibition of Colne photos by local photographer Colin Bean is on display in Colne Library from Wednesday 8th February. It will be well worth a visit.

327284279_1556323001546520_8468115066116288366_n.jpg
This is a taster for a Heritage Lottery funded project described here:-

Can you help keep Lancashire in the picture?
Lancashire County Council's archives,
museums and libraries take care of
hundreds of thousands of historic
photographs of our county. You can look at
many thousands of them online. However,
many more are not available online so the
collections need to be brought up to date.
Gone are the days when some people
printed their photographs and handed a
copy in at their local library. Digital cameras
and smart phones are capturing images of
Lancashire every minute of the day, but few are being added to our collections.
(See https://redrosecollections.lancashire.gov.uk/ for the current collections.)

A project is being developed, ahead of an application to the National Lottery Heritage
Fund, to digitise and catalogue more photographs in the existing collections so
everyone can enjoy them. People will also be asked to donate more recent images
and help further by taking photographs that show what Lancashire is like now. It will
be important to ensure that the images in the collections reflect the diversity of
Lancashire's communities.
If you are interested in lending a hand - by helping with digitisation, donating images
or taking photographs – just drop a line to archives@lancashire.gov.uk and we will
keep you updated as the project takes shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 12:26 It will be important to ensure that the images in the collections reflect the diversity of
Lancashire's communities.
No mention of the Climate Crisis though. :smile:
Last edited by Tripps on 05 Feb 2023, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's a glaring omission, well spotted. I'll point it out to the powers that be at Wednesday's launch! :extrawink:
LorraineH

Post by LorraineH »

Hi all, I’m new here and stumbled on this thread quite by chance whilst researching my family history. I’d like to thank Ian for allowing me to join. I’ve loved looking at the old photos of Colne as this is where some of my ancestors were born - indeed one of them, an Elizabeth Birtle, is the reason I began my family tree many years ago. She was born in 1891 at Cliffe View Farm, but spent the majority of her life in Colne. Her story is quite remarkable and I’ve loved discovering her life. It’s been a mystery that I’ve unravelled, and still unravelling, since I was 18! Seeing these photos brings her and her family back to life. And especially seeing the old streets as they would have been in her day is just stunning. My ultimate goal is to one day find a photo of her. A long shot, I know - but fingers-crossed. Anyway, I just want to thank everyone for such an interesting thread and also for the photos! x
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

LorraineH wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 18:33 Hi all, I’m new here and stumbled on this thread quite by chance whilst researching my family history. I’d like to thank Ian for allowing me to join.
Hi Lorraine, no problem, membership of the site is open to all genuine and responsible folk. Moderators and myself do our best to keep the spammers, trolls and general rogues at bay. The failure on your registration is down to the default security settings in your webmail client.

Welcome and we look forward to more posts from you, there is lot of information on the site to go at!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Lorraine.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LorraineH

Post by LorraineH »

Thank you! ☺️
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Now all you have to do is join in and ask questions Lorraine. We don't bite! :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Old Photographs”