Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

I had my annual flu jab yesterday and decided to take no notice of the online booking service for Covid boosters. I shall simply ask at Well if they are doing them next time I am in for my meds, that will be late October.
I saw Wendy's post and am not fit to travel to Nelson or Skipton. If there is one in Barlick, that's fine, but otherwise, forget it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I posted this on Aug 31st 2023. Perhaps it explains why the whole thing appears to be a bit disorganised?

The plot thickens regarding the Pirola variant of the Covid virus.
Just a few says after I first heard any mention of the name - we find (yesterday) that the whole UK winter 'vaccination' programme is being brought forward and will start in mid September. I recall there have been nine cases on a world wide basis.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The campaign shows every sign of being hasty and disorganised and yes, I remembered your post. That's part of the reason for my decision to wait and see.....
(Which politician used 'Wait and See' as his stock phrase?) :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The 'inventors' of the mRNA "vaccine" (sic) have just reportedly won the Nobel prize for medicine.

I wonder what Professor Dalgleish thinks of that. It reinforces my belief that anything decribed as 'award winning' should be treatd with caution. :smile:

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to a pair of scientists who developed the technology that led to the mRNA Covid vaccines.

Professors Katalin Kariko and Drew Weissman will share the prize. The technology was experimental before the pandemic, but has now been given to millions of people around the world to protect them against serious Covid-19. The same mRNA technology is now being researched for other diseases, including cancer. The Nobel Prize committee said: "The laureates contributed to the unprecedented rate of vaccine development during one of the greatest threats to human health in modern times." Both were told they had won by telephone this morning and were said to be "overwhelmed".
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard that announcement as well David. I used to think that advances in medicine were automatically a good thing, viz. penicillin. Now I'm not too sure.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Don't turn into an anti-science conspiracy theorist! Here's the latest update on the Oxford malaria vaccine. They were working on this but then had to postpone it while they developed the covid vaccine...
`Malaria vaccine big advance against major child killer' LINK

Talking of conspiracy theorists, in reading a Times article on the topic last week I learnt that Neil Oliver, the archaeologist who fronted the `Coast' programmes on TV, has fallen into the same trap as the likes of Laurence Fox and is now spouting all sorts of rubbish on TV and on the Web. As soon as people get well-known and then snapped up by the so-called TV news channels and get a following of millions of gullible folk they turn bad.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 09:29 Don't turn into an anti-science conspiracy theorist! Here's the latest update on the Oxford malaria vaccine. They were working on this but then had to postpone it while they developed the covid vaccine...
`Malaria vaccine big advance against major child killer' LINK
I'm not against new developments in vaccines as long as they conduct the proper trials to see what the problems are. The covid -19 vaccine was rushed through with the minimum of trials making the public the subjects of one big experiment. This should never be allowed to happen again.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 10:55 The covid -19 vaccine was rushed through with the minimum of trials making the public the subjects of one big experiment.
I think you actually meant to say "is safe and effective". Any other comment makes you a
Tizer wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 09:29 an anti-science conspiracy theorist!
:laugh5:

Open your mind - believe what you see, not what 'they' tell you. Think for yourself. Follow the money.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't see Ken as a conspiracy theorist or Peter as a reactionary scientist. People like David and myself are willing to question what is placed before us and I think that's sensible. I have taken a view on the Covid booster jab (As I have also on further treatment for my bladder cancer.) That doesn't make me a conspiracy theorist or a sycophant, just an independent thinker.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Followers of John Campbell will be interested to hear this latest episode from the Radio 4 `More or Less' team... LINK
The web site's summary...
John Campbell, a YouTuber whose posts get millions of views, has made claims about excess deaths and the covid-19 vaccine. We show why he's incorrect. Also will a much vaunted new treatment for Alzheimer's really change lives - and how much longer can Tim expect his Parkrun times to improve? We look at the trends - and the rest of the team's times.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 18:38 John Campbell, a YouTuber whose posts get millions of views, has made claims about excess deaths and the covid-19 vaccine. We show why he's incorrect
I have always thought that this study was faulty. It was done by some 'Unknown' person who compared those who were vaccinated against those who weren't. The basic error occurs before these number are compiled. Remembering that the population were told they faced a virus that could kill thousands then lots of people who were inclined towards ill health would chose the safest option and go for the vaccine. Many would of course still die. The remainder of this vaccine group either survived because of the vaccine or would have survived without it.

Moving on to the unvaccinated group some would be ignorant of the virus dangers while others thought they were fit enough to ward off the vaccine.

Because of the element of choice whether to have the vaccine or not would distort the end results as put forward by 'Unknown' .

I hope I've been clear on this point. :geek:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good to see him challenged. It does not happen very often. I only ever found one example.
I'm sure he will respond, and either refute the BBC claim, or concede that he is in error, and explain why.
I look forward to it. :smile:

PS - I now see that the subject is excess deaths. Is it coincidence that MP Andrew Bridgen has secured a debate in Parliament on this topic in the near future? Could this be a pre-emptive attack on someone who supports his view? Last time Bridgen spoke, Andrew Mitchell MP went round the few MP's who stayed and got them to leave the chamber. Bridgen spoke to an empty House. Remember there is in existence a 'Government Anti Disinformation Unit' or some such. Without getting too conspiratorial about it all - this is the kind of thing I'd expect them to be doing.

Here is Andrew Bridgen from just last Saturday 30 Sep 2023. Worth a look to set the scene I'd say.
Excess deaths debate Andrew Bridgen MP

We shall see, and keep an open mind. . . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a look at the video but soon gave up on it. I'm sorry but I find all this debating about Covid incredibly boring. I don't remember being bombarded with talk about the deadly diseases we were prone to in my youth, we just accepted the immunisations and got on with life. I find it works well to follow the same course now. I have more interesting things to do.....
Sorry, I realise that "I can't be arsed" is not a responsible response but that's how it is...... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Got our Covid boosters at a walk in clinic in Skipton this morning.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian has very kindly offered to take me to the Skipton clinic and I might take him up on the offer later in the month when I have assured myself that it isn't happening in Barlick.
I can't believe a town of 10,000 inhabitants is being left to dangle in the wind....... (Add Earby as well.....another 4,500)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The Phizer jab is an enhanced version of the last booster with additional cover for the latest strain. We have both had a pretty quick reaction to this one. We got our jabs around lunchtime yesterday. In the early evening we were feeling a bit weary. I dropped quite cold and could hardly keep my eyes open. Arm was a bit tender as well. Went to bed at 10pm and had 10 hours but the shower this morning was a bit of a chore. Had my first batch of porridge for breakfast this morning but still feel a bit rough but no longer cold. Hoping to be OK by tomorrow.

Stanley when you have decided about availability in Barlick. It will be best to recheck the venues who are still doing walk ins. Easy enough from the links that the surgery has sent. Skipton or Nelson makes no difference to me. There is a busy come and go parking bay at the Skipton Pharmacy on Devonshire Street and I seem to remember that the Nelson one has on street parking just across the road.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 03:46 Susan and I met a medical man at Bancroft yesterday and we had an interesting conversation that included Covid. I mentioned my BCG immunotherapy any value against Covid and he said that he had wondered the same thing and also wondered if the fact that the older generation had been immunised with BCG for TB meant that this explained the relative vulnerability of immigrants from countries where this was not routine. (He let slip he was 'on the medical staff' at Stafford hospital and I pressed him. He was senior ENT Registrar for many years up to retirement! He was a nice man and Susan and I pulled his leg.)
Doctor John Campbells latest video which is a follow up to his much longer interview with Professor Dalgleish and seems to chime with the above post . It seemed simple in the original,and I thought I 'got it', but it's more complicated in this one.

Campbell Dalgleish BCG

Check out 17.20 onwards for his attitude to mRNA 'vaccines' in general, and bivalent boosters in particular.

Well worth a look I'd say. Members may have an opinion on it especially in view of Stanley's post above which is surely relevant? . He refers metaphorically to 'steam driven' vaccines. That should clinch it. :smile:

I am not tryimg to change anyone's opinion - please yourself - but I feel he should be given a hearing. Impressive though Professor Dalgleish's qualifications are -it would be good to hear an opinion from some else at his level.

As always - make of it what you will. . . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd forgotten that..... Thanks for reminding me David.
Thanks Ian, I'll get in touch later in the month...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Glad to report that we are both back to normal after our Covid boosters. Effectively 48 hours or so of feeling whacked out and aching. Only happened with us with the Phizer jabs, we were fine with the AZ and Moderna ones. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 09:42 Glad to report that we are both back to normal after our Covid boosters. Effectively 48 hours or so of feeling whacked out and aching. Only happened with us with the Phizer jabs, we were fine with the AZ and Moderna ones. :smile:
It was the Moderna that made me and P rough for a couple of days (early 2022 booster). P's arm went a bit red at the injection site last week (Pfizer) but no other side effects, we both had the flu jab at the same time and were expecting some kind of impact but nay.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Individuals vary so much.... I'll take a view later on....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Offered without comment - this paper was published in the last few days and seems authoritative.

Covid and seasonality

For more detail (than I can cope with) look here

The paper seems to include a few of "the usual supects" such as Karol Sikora, and Norman Fenton.
Make of it what you will.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You have more patience than I have David! However, I used the old researcher's trick of looking for a summery.... Here it is.
However, this comprehensive new study overcame many of these statistical challenges by considering five different indicators of the pandemic and separately analysing each country over multiple waves of the pandemic. The results show that the overwhelming influence of seasonality created a false, and scientifically invalid, confidence in the many previously untested public health interventions that most governments used.”
Does that really surprise anyone?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”