WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

The chaos caused by a diesel spill on the M65 from Nelson to halfway up Vivary Way in Colne. We were in Boundary Mill and came out at 6pm to drive home, the traffic was very light through the centre of Colne as it was all backed up beyond Burnley.
IMG_20240422_180340.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Thank you for all my Birthday messages. Thankfully we got back from Burnley before the diesel spillage...! Crow Wood lived up to expectations - it was my first visit, being a non-swimmer, but the 'bubble pools' (and glasses of bubbly) were great. :biggrin2:
It felt lovely to get to my 70th birthday as I was told last year by my cardiologist that I would not see Christmas 2023 unless I underwent open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve. The valve had calcified and had reduced to a diameter of 3mm causing me chest pains after walking less than 100 metres on the flat. This came as a shock after having walked 10+ miles a day as a postman..! The only reason I didn't mention this before in 'Medical Matters' was the fact that other members of the site were having their own medical problems and I didn't want to take over the thread with my problems.
I had a new 27mm cows tissue valve fitted at the end of July in Leeds General Infirmary (a place that I know Ian is familiar with) and felt nearly back to normal a couple of months later. The valve should last 10 to 20 years with the chance of having a further valve inserted into the centre of the present one if it ever deteriorates in the future (the 2nd valve would be inserted through the aorta via the groin - a process known at TAVI)
It has certainly made me appreciate things in life a lot more and I hope to enjoy reading everyone's posts on 'oneguy' for many more years.
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good to hear you enjoyed Crow Wood and fascinating to know you are part cow 🐮
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad to hear they patched you up successfully Pete.... I'll say it again, I am so lucky in these matters. Just the odd brush with cancer and diabetes.... which, as long as I am sensible, don't seem to cause any worries at all.
I wish you the same for the next 30 years Pete.... :good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your day at Crow Wood Pete. :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

PostmanPete wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 20:29 I had a new 27mm cows tissue valve fitted at the end of July in Leeds General Infirmary (a place that I know Ian is familiar with) and felt nearly back to normal a couple of months later. The valve should last 10 to 20 years with the chance of having a further valve inserted into the centre of the present one if it ever deteriorates in the future (the 2nd valve would be inserted through the aorta via the groin - a process known at TAVI)
It has certainly made me appreciate things in life a lot more and I hope to enjoy reading everyone's posts on 'oneguy' for many more years.
Excellent Pete and glad everything went OK. I hope your experience OF LGI was as good as mine. I share the experience of the "ultimatum" statement although in different circumstance. It certainly grabs your attention, Like you, I am thankful for the modern technology and the very clever people that can give us the positive outcomes. My surgeon promised me decades which will do for me, onwards and upwards. :smile:
Ian
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Big Kev wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 21:04 Good to hear you enjoyed Crow Wood and fascinating to know you are part cow 🐮
:laugh5: I've not been able to enjoy a nice steak since coming out of LGI...!
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Stanley wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 01:37 Glad to hear they patched you up successfully Pete.... I'll say it again, I am so lucky in these matters. Just the odd brush with cancer and diabetes.... which, as long as I am sensible, don't seem to cause any worries at all.
I wish you the same for the next 30 years Pete.... :good:

Thank you Stanley :good:
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Wendyf wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 05:48 Pleased to hear you enjoyed your day at Crow Wood Pete. :smile:
I really enjoyed it Wendy :good:
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just like yesterday (It was remarked on by David as well.) the site has slowed down to unusable levels with the bouncing black dot in the tab label and now a 502 'bad gateway' error. This happened at 03:19. I foresee a miserable rest of the morning!
Later at 04:28. It appears to have healed up......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

PanBiker wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 09:34
Excellent Pete and glad everything went OK. I hope your experience OF LGI was as good as mine. I share the experience of the "ultimatum" statement although in different circumstance. It certainly grabs your attention, Like you, I am thankful for the modern technology and the very clever people that can give us the positive outcomes. My surgeon promised me decades which will do for me, onwards and upwards. :smile:

My experience of LGI was fabulous Ian. I went from being completely apprehensive before my admission to being completely at ease after speaking to all the wonderful staff on the ward who put my mind at rest that they do this sort of thing many times a week. My operation, as you say, had to be done as I had no alternative so I was totally in their very capable hands. My surgeon, Mr Kaul told me that even 10 years ago, an operation such as this would have been considered nearly impossible (the valve isn't even sewn in place - it is held by a circular network of wires inside the artery) :smile:
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye isn't technology wonderful? After my op I had no motor functions at all from head to foot down my right side. The fantastic neuro physio team sorted all that and taught me to walk again, albeit with a very slight deficit, (one of the disadvantages of the trauma of brain surgery). Ever thankful for their care and expertise. :smile:

Stanley, seems like you have fallen foul of maintenance tasks with your unusual hours. Can't do a lot about that.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

For the record the 502 errors seem to be intermittent. The is an additional problem in that the admin console used to update the firewall is not accepting updates. Could be a problem at the IONOS end but there are no messages to that effect. There are a number of Amazon Web Servers that are hitting the site and flag as spam but I cant update the firewall with their IP addresses.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Slight lull and the firewall let me add some more definitions. CPU currently at 7.25%
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Would a slow down and 502 errors at 13:00 count as unusual hours?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

No, requests on a traceroute are not making it to the proxy server that feeds our site. This is looking like a network infrastructure problem.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I posted what is below on the OneGuy Facebook Chat site that Wendy put up last week. Private site so you need to be invited or ask to join. Useful for discussing stuff when there are problems.

Had a couple of emails to say that the server has now been migrated to the faster infrastructure. this was between 11.45 and 12.12 today when the server was restarted. Still like watching paint dry though. Status graphs are no longer available for the cloud server so I cant see CPU usage. I looked for the technical chat function that used to be available but that is now AI driven and only gives lists of stuff to try. No human operator to do quick test etc which is how it used to be. I'll try and put this up on the site.

IONOS status says all is operational but it doesn't cover routing infrastructure. Our cloud server page does not report any issues either.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I logged in sometime between 09.00 and 10.00 with no problem and did one post. Later, probably between 10.00 and 11.00 I couldn't log in, just got the whirling symbol on Firefox. Left it a little while and it was still the same. Thanks for all your work, Ian and Wendy!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm not involved Tiz, this is all above my pay grade!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have just managed to get this page up to reply after 15 minutes at least delay. This included 502 bad gateway and asking for my password. Deep Joy. I shall do my best but I forecast posts will be thin on the ground this morning....
Later at 03:40. Back to normal speed.....
That didn't last long and by 04:00 I was on go slow again. It's 05:20 now and still dreadfully slow. I have done enough...... That was a lousy morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It’s Anzac Day today in Australia and New Zealand.

Lest We Forget 🇦🇺. 🇳🇿.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Cathy are you on Facebook? If you are please look for OneGuyFromBarlick Chat and join the group so we can keep in touch when the website is misbehaving. :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 01:57 I have just managed to get this page up to reply after 15 minutes at least delay. This included 502 bad gateway and asking for my password. Deep Joy. I shall do my best but I forecast posts will be thin on the ground this morning....
Later at 03:40. Back to normal speed.....
That didn't last long and by 04:00 I was on go slow again. It's 05:20 now and still dreadfully slow. I have done enough...... That was a lousy morning.
The site is under fairly constant attack from a number of IP addresses. These are coming from a number of AWS servers, if I have time today I will see if I can extract a list of these IPs and advise Amazon Web Services of the issue. In the meantime Ian is working hard blocking them.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"In the meantime Ian is working hard blocking them."
Yes, I know he is. I'm not complaining, just reporting in the hope I may give you a clue as to what is going on. I'm back on to try to post on Shed Matters. I shall get there in the end!
Thanks for responding Kev..... :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 01:57 I have just managed to get this page up to reply after 15 minutes at least delay. This included 502 bad gateway and asking for my password.
In the few times I've been able to get in recently I've had to enter my password. Is this due to the main problem or have we set it in an attempt to make it harder for `bad actors'?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”