Seen in the News

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Stanley »

I saw that report Peter and had the same reaction. I think the root of the problem is that they have no funding to actually make a difference and so in common with a lot of other public services all they can do in the way of action is issue denials and anodyne, weasel-worded statements. As a country, we stopped adequately funding the public services over 25 years ago. In addition I am convinced that we have got too clever for our own boots and can't afford to manage the complex systems we have created.
That's why I find videos of work being done in Indian factories using 100 year old machines made in Keighley and Halifax under 19th century conditions so interesting and instructive.
I am reminded of an old saying, "The best is the enemy of the good."

Have a look at THIS report. We often debate the possible effect of robots and AI combined on the jobs market. Here's where we are at now....
Shoppers probably don't think much about what happens next when they place an online grocery order. But it sets-off an intricate dance of software, artificial intelligence, robots, vans and workers. At an Ocado warehouse just outside Luton, I'm in the middle of such a dance. As far as I can see, hundreds of robots whizz around a grid, fetching items for online orders. They move with dizzying speed and precision. In the early days of online shopping, when you placed an order, humans would dash around a warehouse or a store collecting your items. But for years now, Ocado has been using robots to collect and distribute products, bringing them to staff, who pack them into boxes for delivery. And Ocado is not the only firm investing in such automation.
There is more and it is worth reading and thinking about. It's time to do it because the latest figures for unemployment are showing that the jobs market isn't as sound as it was.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Australians are so much better than us at stating the obvious...
`Australian PM calls Elon Musk an 'arrogant billionaire' in row over attack footage' LINK
...On Tuesday, Mr Albanese told ABC News that Mr Musk "thinks he's above the law but also above common decency"..."Social media needs to have social responsibility with it. Mr Musk is not showing any," he said.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 09:02 A damning report - we know the smart motorways are dangerous, here's more evidence, yet National Highways denies there is anything wrong. Think Post Office, Grenfell, water companies, Rwanda etc etc. What's gone wrong with the people who are supposed to be running our country? It's like they live on a different planet, rely on `remote data' and never see what's actually going on here on Earth!
`Claims that smart motorways tech leaves drivers at risk' LINK
The technology behind England's smart motorway network stops working on a regular basis, the BBC has discovered. Figures obtained by Panorama have revealed hundreds of incidents when crucial safety equipment was out of action. A traffic officer who works on the network told the programme he no longer considers it safe. National Highways - the agency in charge of smart motorways - denies the claims.
I noticed they did not report the numbers of death directly attributable to the technology and having no safety lane for refuge.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They're too clever for that Ian. To do so would be to admit liability and possibly lay themselves open to legal proceedings on the grounds they were responsible. That would never do!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

ASYLUM

The death of a number of asylum seekers near the French coast (by crush or drowning) yesterday must surely signal a need to end this whole process.

We are told that these people are largely welcome, that most of their asylum claims will be confirmed, that they eventually will be given leave to remain, and that they will fill the current gaps in our labour market. To stop this obscenity, the following should take effect immediately. These measures will stop all needless deaths, and the motivation to pay criminal gangs to gain access to Uk will be rendered immediately redundant. Since there are currently no legal routes to get to UK for the genuine asylum seeker, we must create one without delay to the benefit of all involved.

There must be a seperate pedestrian lane at Calais and Boulogne ferry terminals for asylum seekers. Access will be unhindered and free, and no travel documents or pre booked tickets will be required. Users of the service will be obliged to read from a multi language card (the NHS are experienced in getting them printed, and will assist) in all appropriate languages, solemnly affirming that "Cross my heart and hope to die I am a genuine asylum seeker". That will be wholly credible, and sufficient to get aboard.

They will be given an immediate - whatever the time of day, hot meal of chicken and vegetables, and will be met on arrival in Dover by an official from the Home Office, who will hand them a pack, containing at least - a smart phone with an activated sim card, a National Insurance Number, sufficient money to tide them over, and and instructions as to how to reach the prepared temporary 4 * hotel accomodation, together with pre-booked appointments at the nearest Job Centre, GP's surgery, NHS Dentist, and a local Housing Association.

This - at a stroke will - stop all dangerous channel crossings, destroy the business model of the criminal gangs, and go a long way towards improving the economy of the UK for the benefit of all.

Since (we are told) asylum seekers are unreservedly welcome - more should be done to encourage the flow, and local offices should be quickly set up in various overseas locations, to facilitate the travel to the French ferry ports. Dangerous difficult travel across Africa, the Middle East, and the Mediterranean Sea must be stopped. The list of such locations is too long to publish here, but will surely include Manila, Gaza, the whole of sub Saharan Africa etc etc.

The above will also totally remove any need for The UK Border Agency, with huge savings to the public purse. Let's get on with it. Everyone will surely be a winner.

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have wondered why we don't provide a route in to stop the boats. I suppose that the government thinks that the migrants will have 'won'. Does that really matter when people are dying?

See THIS depressingly all to familiar news.
A teenage girl has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after three people were injured in a school stabbing. Two teachers and a teenage pupil at Ysgol Dyffryn Aman, in Ammanford, were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening stab wounds, Dyfed-Powys Police said. Pupils at the Carmarthenshire school were locked in their classrooms for about four hours following the incident, which happened at 11:20 BST on Wednesday. The force said the arrested girl remains in custody.
I have no comment beyond the fact that there is something broken in society.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 12:31 ...They will be given an immediate - whatever the time of day, hot meal of chicken and vegetables, and will be met on arrival in Dover by an official from the Home Office, who will hand them a pack, containing at least - a smart phone with an activated sim card, a National Insurance Number, sufficient money to tide them over, and and instructions as to how to reach the prepared temporary 4 * hotel accomodation, together with pre-booked appointments at the nearest Job Centre, GP's surgery, NHS Dentist, and a local Housing Association...
Sounds good, Tripps, although I predict one side-effect - a flow of boats in the opposite direction full of poor Brits who will arrive in Calais and immediately join the line of asylum seekers to come back in the hope of getting those benefits! :extrawink:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good: I reckon that's about right Peter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

You were all meant to spot that it was ironic, and 'tongue in cheek' - except for the chicken and veg bit which was just pure mischief. In actual fact, it's not far away from what actually happens in reality. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The trouble is that everything this government does or says is difficult to distinguish from ironic and 'tongue in cheek'! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I offer THIS without comment, just a deep sigh.

See THIS news that one of Harvey Weinstein's rape convictions has been overturned.
Hollywood actress Ashley Judd says the overturning of disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein's 2020 rape conviction is a "hard day for survivors". "But we live in our truth," Ms Judd told BBC News in an interview. The case against Weinstein was a landmark moment in the #MeToo movement. The New York Court of Appeals ordered a new trial, saying the original had been prejudiced by witnesses with claims unrelated to the charges at hand. Weinstein has maintained his innocence. The 72-year-old remains in prison. He was separately convicted of rape in Los Angeles. The overturning of the New York conviction was criticised by complainants, lawyers and #MeToo activists as a setback for abuse survivors.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The future for scrap merchants...
`Japan comes face to face with its own space junk' LINK

The every day life for those in the distant past...
`'Britain's Pompeii': UK's largest Bronze Age find' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the links Peter!
HERE'S what got my attention.
The widow of a sub-postmaster who took his own life had to sign a non-disclosure agreement with the Post Office in exchange for staggered compensation payments, an inquiry has heard. The family of sub-postmaster Martin Griffiths also had to agree not to pursue legal action to try to clear his name and get more money. The details emerged as part of a long-running inquiry into the prosecution of hundreds of sub-postmasters by the Post Office. During a second day of questioning, former Post Office executive Angela van den Bogerd was shown emails where she and her colleagues discussed hiring a media lawyer after learning that Mr Griffiths was seriously ill in hospital. It also emerged that the then chief executive, Paula Vennells, questioned whether Mr Griffiths had "previous mental health issues and potential family issues" to feed back to the board.
Another good illustration of how callous and self-serving these people were. When do we throw the whole boiling of them into Gaol?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Fells orchard to sell land' is an understatement - it's diabolical! They've uprooted a massive number of cider apple trees just so they can sell the land.
`Brewing giant Heineken fells orchard to sell land' LINK
What really annoyed me was reading this bit: The National Association of Cider Makers said 2,000 acres of British cider apple orchards had been lost in the past few years which, due to high tannin levels, "have no other use than for making cider". The claim that the apples "have no other use than for making cider" is absolute rubbish. About 30 years ago Julian Timperley who owns a local (but famous) Somerset cider business called Burrow Hill Cider fought tooth and nail to get the law changed so that he could make cider brandy from his apples. Tannin makes no difference, it's left behind in the distillation process and his brandy is wonderful. It's very highly rated and sold worldwide. Alternatively Heineken's apples could have been used to make acceptable apple juice by precipitating the tannin and filtering it out. But no, Heineken simply wanted to be rid of the trees to sell the land. Grrrh! :furious3:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with you and sympathise Peter. Too many commercial interests investing in agriculture have no concept of the time scales involved in reaching production.

See THIS BBC report.....
A giant 3D printer, which is big enough to make a house, has been unveiled at the University of Maine. The university says it has beaten its own record for the world's largest polymer 3D printer - with the new printer four times bigger than the previous machine. The Factory of the Future 1.0 (FoF 1.0) can print objects 96ft (29m) long - approximately the length of a blue whale.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report about Disability Benefits.
Plans to overhaul the disability benefits system are due to be unveiled by the government later. It says the benefits bill is rising at an "unsustainable rate" and needs to be overhauled to ensure help gets to the people who need it most. Reforms to personal independence payments (PIP) could include stopping cash payments and offering claimants one-off grants for things like home adaptations instead. The disability charity Scope described it as a "reckless assault on disabled people."
Meanwhile we will cheerfully fund a nuclear capability, white elephant aircraft carriers and vanity projects like HS2.
Sorry, I know that that shows I am hopelessly altruistic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Problem when this sort of issue is raised is that it is assumed that there are just two arguments -for and against. In fact there is a very wide range of possible scenarios. It is unarguable that there are some who game the system, and do not deserve the benefit, however many do, and should get it.

Regarding vouchers - I have just seen it suggested that the first move to a Central Bank organised digital virtual currency will start with benefits. They might be right.

Thankfully the time remaining before a General Election will prevent meaningful progress on this front.

I hesitate to ask, but is 'altruistic' the right word here? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Altruistic..... I think so David.

Have a look at THIS and ask yourself what are we coming to....
A 56-year-old woman who is due to be evicted on 1 May has been told she should be able to "function reasonably well" if she ends up on the streets. Thurrock Council wrote to Heidi Dodson rejecting her application for priority housing following an eviction notice from her landlord. The council acknowledges Ms Dodson is eligible for help but maintained she would be able to cope if she becomes homeless and is not a "priority need". The council told the BBC it will review letters sent to local residents in light of the incident. It said it was "very sorry" the letter "may not have fully reflected" the sympathy the council has for those facing homelessness.
Whoever composed that letter should be made to live on the streets for long enough to knock some compassion into their heads.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Breaking news of a 13 year old boy killed by being stabbed in London. A 36 year-old man has been arrested.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 02:29 Altruistic..... I think so David.
Yes - you are quite right.

"Showing a disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others; unselfish.
"it was an entirely altruistic act"

I thought it had to show a 'loss' to you as well as a 'gain' to someone else. I was wrong and stand corrected. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't look at it like that, just a differing point of view..... :good:
See THIS piece of good news.

A final compensation scheme for infected blood victims could be running by the year's end after the government made a key concession in the Lords. Ministers accepted a Labour amendment to the Victims and Prisoners bill, meaning the scheme must be set up within three months of the law passing. The deputy Lords leader said victims had waited "far too long for justice". But Earl Howe warned the creation of the new body could be disrupted if Parliament were dissolved or adjourned. Westminster is due to rise at the end of July for the summer recess, and a general election is widely expected to take place this autumn.
I would suggest that they find a way to ensure that the new body can't be delayed, this delay is scandalous now and if not corrected will become criminal.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS report of a stabbing in Sheffield this morning.
A 17-year-old boy has been arrested for attempted murder after three people were injured at a school in Sheffield. Officers were called to Birley Community College, now known as The Birley Academy, on Birley Lane at 8.50am this morning after reports of an incident involving a sharp object. A child was given medical attention after being assaulted. Two adults were also injured. A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and remains in police custody.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS ONE didn't get away.
An amateur angler has landed what is believed to be the UK's biggest ever fish caught by rod in freshwater. Darren Reitz, 34, a binman from Rainham, east London, said "luck" was key to catching the "monster" catfish, which weighed 143lb (64.4kg). Mr Reitz said it took him and three friends about 50 minutes to reel it in at a fishing lake in Maldon, Essex. The previous catfish record was set at 130lb (58.9kg) and the British Record (Rod Caught) Fish Committee has encouraged Mr Reitz to get in contact.
In case you're wondering, the fish was christened Scar and returned to the lake to grow some more.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I posted on this when it happened but at last there is more information. I'm glad to see the BBC had researched it and provided more evidence...
`Israel accused of possible war crime over killing of West Bank boy' LINK
Note this in the last few paragraphs...
But several former Israeli soldiers who viewed the BBC's evidence said they believed Israel’s legal system would protect soldiers who used lethal force, regardless of whether it was justified. One former sergeant who served in the West Bank from 2018-2020, said it would take "an Israeli soldier murdering a Palestinian at zero range for it to be taken as murder in Israel" and "there is basically a 0% chance of criminal proceedings" against a soldier in cases such as Adam's.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And that's what I have always believed Peter. The Israeli Defence Forces place no value at all on Palestinian life.

See THIS BBC report.
Former Conservative Prime Minister Boris Johnson was turned away from his local polling station after forgetting to bring acceptable photo ID. As first reported by Sky News, he returned later with the necessary ID and was able to vote. He cast his ballot in South Oxfordshire, where voters are choosing a police and crime commissioner. New rules requiring photo ID to vote were introduced by Mr Johnson's government in the Elections Act 2022. The change was rolled out last year, with local elections in May 2023 the first time voters needed to show ID. According to the Electoral Commission, about 14,000 people were unable to vote in last year's local elections in England as a result of the new rules.
Unbelievable!

Later.... See THIS news from Brazil....
A hydroelectric dam has collapsed in southern Brazil after days of heavy rains that triggered massive flooding, killing more than 30 people. Officials say another 60 people are missing in Rio Grande do Sul state. About 15,000 residents have fled their homes since Saturday. At least 500,000 people are without power and clean water across the state.
Very early report. More details to come.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”