Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

Lovely day yesterday once the morning mist and cloud shifted. It was two before we saw clear skies, but from then on we stayed outside in the garden eating both lunch and tea out there. Barbara and Bill arrived just before lunch and it was after 9 whilst having a cup of coffee we declared it was definitely too cool to sit out anymore.

This morning is much clearer which accounts for the cool night we have just had . We are off to Malestroit to the market and a walk down the canal tow path to the next lock and back. After a light lunch there we are going to the Museum of the Resistance which is based in the exact place in the forest where the resistance worked with the British Forces to help with the success of the defeat of the Nazis. There is a lot of local history about this resistance unit at the museum plus a lot of wartime equipment. We have been before but never with Barbara and Bill when we were a group of 6 as Wendy would be unable to manage to walk on the terrain.

Have a good day all, we are heading for 25 degrees with sun and cloud and no rain
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, you sound as though you are going to have a better day than us and you have certainly arranged a programme to take advantage. I hope you all have a good day!

I started on the valve train and the first element for shaving was the valve rod support which is one of my least favourite parts because there is nothing you can measure, it is all rack of the eye and guess work. I pressed on and reached the stage where I had the support the right shape and drilled the top to accept the valve rod and the base 5BA clear for the two bolts that will hold it on. Then I offered it up and marked for the first bolt. I have drilled and tapped that and fitted the support with one bolt tightened up. I shall now mark, drill and tap the second hole while it is in situ, that way I know it will fit. But that's for tomorrow. I have done my hour and am going to have breakfast.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed as usual working on my valve train but I will be out in good time so as to get a short second sleep and be back up in time for my boiler service at 09:00.
Worth noting that summer is the best time for boiler maintenance and service..... Better than waiting until you need the heat!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I went in the shed early and I'm out early as I want a sleep before I have to be up for boiler maintenance at 09:00. Only one object in mind. finish mounting the valve rod support on the bed and make sure it is allowing the valve rod free movement. That's done so I am having an early breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Beautiful day yesterday and a lovely day out. Today we are staying local . This morning we are going into La Gacilly to book Sunday lunch at a crêperie and to book a hire boat for Monday. We shall wander round the annual large photo exhibition and come back for lunch. This afternoon Bill and Bob are doing a not pleasant job on the septic tank, Barbara and I will go for a short stroll to the river and back.

Have a good day all, its due to rain here, but not much.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. we seem to be having occasional showers.... It's gone very gloomy here at the moment, I think we have another one imminent. Ah, the joys of septic tank maintenance..... I remember it well. The thing I disliked most about them was the fact I couldn't use bleach. As you know, bleach is a religious object to me!
What's the hire boat you'll be booking? Is it on a canal? I hope it all works out OK and you have a good day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Not much happening at Chez Kev today, a few roses need deadheading and waiting for a parcel delivery. Pimms on the patio with neighbours is planned for four o'clock, I put a coat of stain on the deck in anticipation. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us, the canvas roof of the gazebo is only 'water resistant' so anything more than a light shower and we'll get wet :biggrin2:
I may have to invest in some waterproofer for future events.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday saw a change of plan when my plumber had an emergency and re-scheduled my boiler service to next Tuesday morning. Not ideal but these things happen and we have to be flexible.
I shall be in the shed at 06:00 for an hour's work on my valve train and after second sleep I have a list of odds and sods I need from the Co-op so I shall brave the forecast rain and go and do that. After that there are no calls on my time so I shall spend the rest of the day being idle as usual. :biggrin2:
(I don't feel guilty, I've done my share!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yesterday was not a pleasant day weather-wise, cloudy and constant drizzle but at least no downpour. Bob and Bill managed to clean the filter on the septic tank in the morning whilst Barbara and I did the 3 mile round trip walk to the river and back. We ate lunch under the wisteria but the constant drizzle brought out lots of horrid biting insects. In the afternoon we went to the lovely old town of Rochefort en Terre. When the rain started again we went inside and had a beer in a cafe. In the evening we ate inside, and then played cards while the Olympic opening ceremony was on. We were not impressed, far too long, weird music and dancing, and typically long flowery french speeches. According to what I have just read online we seem to be in the minority. We abandoned it before the flame was lit.

Today it’s a day out in Vannes, followed by an evening meal at Joanne and Paul’s. Its due to be cloudy, dry, and 22 degrees. Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad the septic tank can be crossed off the list now! Sorry to hear about the biting insects, that's one good thing about Barlick and Rochdale, we are a bit too cool for them! I agree about the Olympic opening ceremony from what I have heard of it.

This morning I started on making the clevis that will connect the Valve rod to the eccentric arm. Careful measuring and marking and then cutting the slot with a slitting saw before drilling and tapping for the 7BA bolt that will make the connection with the arm. Slow careful work because I can't see this small but at closing time I had the bolt fitted and ready for more fitting in the valve train. But that's for tomorrow, now the job is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Totally agree with you Sue re the opening ceremony, it certainly took some following.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We also abandoned it and watched "The Duke" on BBC Iplayer. Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren, based on a true story and an easy and entertaining watch.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw a bit of cycling in the rain. Was that the Olympics?
I shall be in the shed at 06:00 working on my valve train and will definitely be having a walk and a sit because it looks as though summer has arrived. The rest of the day will be spent being kind to myself.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Our friends Joanne and Paul agreed too, however I am in the minority in my French conversation group….

We had a lovely day in Vannes yesterday and a pleasant evening with Joanne and Paul. This morning is a little washing and ironing, then lunch out at the crêperie in La Gacilly followed by a stroll round the photo exhibition . We shall also try to book a book a hire boat on the river for Monday but we may have left it too late now.

Its getting warm here, heading for 28 to 31 over the next couple of days. Nice for Barbara and Bill’s holiday but a bit too warm. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you and I agree anyway Sue! We are promised 25C in Barlick on Wednesday!

The job this morning was to finish the clevis that joins the valve rod to the valve train and prepare and fit the end of the eccentric rod to fit it.
Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed at 06:00 Working on the eccentric and valve train for my engine. After that I shall certainly have a walk and a sit because we are promised one of the best days of the year......
I shall be thanking God for the fact that we live in old houses with 18" thick stone walls which protect us from the heat for three or four days by which time summer may be over!
We may have a let-off tonight because we are promised a clear night and that means a lower temperature without insulating cloud cover. Let's hope so!
(Can you remember when it was dark shortly after 15:00 and we were having cold nights? Later this week we'll be complaining because it is too hot!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A lovely day yesterday. In the morning Bill and Bob pruned the wisteria which was once again growing in under the eaves, and Barbara and I did a little washing and ironing and sitting in the garden chatting. We lunched at the crêperie, walked round the photo exhibition and then sat in the shade in the garden reading till 7, when we had a light tea out there. We came in just after 9.00. It was hot , about 28 degrees. Today 32 is expected. This afternoon we are taking a small boat with a canopy on the river for a couple of hours. It will be in the shade most of the time but we will take plenty of water with us. It's a great way to see the wild life, dragonflies, herons, mayflies and we may even see a kingfisher.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, thanks for the description of the boat. That will be cooler out on the water as long as you are in the shade. Who is going to be the galley slave and do the rowing? You're going to be warmer than us, we are looking at 24C. I hope you have another good day......

I concentrated on the eccentric strap. I used a small slitting saw to cut the strap in two and then I refitted the strap together and set it up in the VM for boring. I have sharpened the everyday HSS cutter in the Clarkson T&C grinder.
Tomorrow I shall start the day by boring and fitting the strap. Right now it's breakfast time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its not a row boat Stanley, its electric and we are limited to 5km an hour speed. The river is shaded until it opens out into a wider exposed section, which is about an hour away. There we turn round and come back. There is a recreation field at that point (and a toilet block ) where many have picnics but although we were originally planning on that with a 4 hour trip the cost and the expected temperatures have changed our minds
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Going to the seaside, a trip to Cleveleys for a walk on the prom, chippy lunch and possibly an ice cream :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

IMG_20240729_134524~2.jpg
Fresh from Fleetwood :good:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Both of you are doing nice things! I approve of the electrics Sue and Kev and P look to have found good fish and chips!
I shall be in the shed boring my eccentric strap. After second sleep I have a second crack at boiler servicing and then I shall go to Town Square veggie shopping so it's going to be a busy day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

That boat trip was a good idea, it reached 32 in the afternoon( today is forecast 34) but was much cooler on the river. We saw numerous kingfishers which was amazing plus mayflies and huge dragonflies. It was a lovely trip which we haven’t done for some years. Barbara and Bill loved it. We concluded our trip in a shaded bar with a beer, returned to the house , had an ice cream from the freezer and read in the coolest part of the garden. We had all meals inside where it was nice and cool. Funny how last werk that cool was regarded as cold🤣
20240729_134401.jpeg
20240729_134347.jpeg
20240729_134422.jpeg
Today is Barbara and Bills last day so this morning we are shopping for bits and pieces thay want to take home with them . This afternoon is a sitting in the shade in the garden afternoon. We are having home made pizzas for tea so Bob will light the pizza oven and Barbara and I will prepare the ingredients

Have a good day all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Funny how last week that cool was regarded as cold"
I was only thinking the same thing this morning Sue about the 21C in the cool part of the house. It's all about comparisons isn't it. We had 9C last night and the same is being promised again for tonight, some parts of the South are going to have a low of 18C. I am very grateful for the cool.
Talking about cool, yes the river trip looks lovely, just the thing for a hot day. I hope you have another good day today......

Today was all about the eccentric strap and rod. The first job was to bore the strap out to the size of the eccentric. Then reduce the width and length of the rod to the necessary size and adjust the rounding of each end. The 5BA clearance hole at the eccentric end was drilled and countersunk for the fixing screw. Tomorrow I shall mill out the socket in the strap for the rod. At the moment I am more interested in breakfast.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm back up and ready for the plumber. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”