WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Pluggy »

Theres a Thai takeaway opening on Newtown sometime, dunno about a restaurant.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Pluggy wrote:Theres a Thai takeaway opening on Newtown sometime, dunno about a restaurant.
That's interesting to hear. Do we know where on Newtown?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

The Lollipops shop. What used to be Gilletts bakery. Don't know how far it is along.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The man in Florida swallowed by a sink hole that opened under his bedroom. Latest reports are that efforts to rescue him have had to be abandoned because the ground is too unstable. First thing that strikes me is how lucky we are in Barlick! Floods and subsidence are not major worries!
Re. Thai takeaway... is anyone cooking at home in Barlick?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Pluggy wrote:The Lollipops shop. What used to be Gilletts bakery. Don't know how far it is along.
Ah! That could explain the Transco gas works yesterday.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Re. Thai takeaway... is anyone cooking at home in Barlick?
Not if we don't have to :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Does anyone cook in Barlick any more? asked Stanley. Despite appearances there is no doubt that many stiil do, we never use takeaways and our kitchen is always in use, even when we both worked full time it was the same. There are some that do not know how, some that can but "do not have the time", some that could but are too lazy, and there are no doubt many other reasons for eating takeaways. Another new takeaway will bring the total to 14 plus 3 nearly traditional chippy's and a number of "butty shops". On the other side of the coin, there are 3 butchers shops and just 1 greengrocers, (at present) maybe Stanley was right to ask that question! Watch out for a new topic:- "The ups and downs of modern society"
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Stanley wrote:The man in Florida swallowed by a sink hole that opened under his bedroom. Latest reports are that efforts to rescue him have had to be abandoned because the ground is too unstable. First thing that strikes me is how lucky we are in Barlick! Floods and subsidence are not major worries!
Re. Thai takeaway... is anyone cooking at home in Barlick?
My memories of Barlick in the 50's, Were that stockbeck would regularly be subject to flash floods,my schoolfriend who lived in the first house over Gisburn Rd bridge had slots in their gate posts into which planks were dropped to hold back the water. Because of the flooding problem the land on both sides was never used for housing,and only had allotments and garages on it,and where it was a risk to commerce it was culverted. They new what they were doing in them days.
There was a bonus to a small boy after these floods,once the water had subsided we could follow the beck upstream and catch the trout which had been displaced from springs dam,or go down to the syke beck and round up the goldfish from the mill lodges and return them to their home in a bucket.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Wouldn't it be nice if there was something to watch on TV on a Saturday night apart from game shows, reality shows or repeats.
:sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Agreed Wendy, I record films during the week to get me through the bald patches.
There's a new book that might interest Maz and Cath, 'Little Exiles' by Robert Dinsdale. It's about the forced migrations of children after WW2. (LINK). I shall get it. (I've ordered it and will report....)
Just been listening to 'On Your Farm' on R4. Wonderful interview with an 80 year old farmer in Gloucestershire who is into rare breeds. It made you feel content just listening to this old bloke who is obviously perfectly content and enjoying his animals. If you want a lovely half an hour, seek it out on listen again and relax. Wonderful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if there was something to watch on TV on a Saturday night apart from game shows, reality shows or repeats.
:sad:
Apart from the news I very rarely watch "live" TV. My Freesat box has a built in HDD recorder :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's going to be my next move Kev. As soon as something goes wrong I shall be into Garlicks!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:That's going to be my next move Kev. As soon as something goes wrong I shall be into Garlicks!
I got a very good deal from Garlicks and 6 month's interest free payments. I had just cancelled a Sky contract and the monthly payments were less that the Sky subscription.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is it like ordinary HD Freesat? Can you buy the box and be subscription free?
I mentioned the other day that Margaret had been forced to leave her place of work North of Perth because of bush fires in the National Park. They are under control now but she thinks they won't be allowed back till Tuesday at the earliest because the emergency services are using the site as a control and supply centre. She said there were multiple fires and her call to the fire brigade alerted them to their outbreak. Thay were caused by sparks from the wheels of a freight train setting fire to trackside brush that hadn't been cut back as an 'economy measure'. Nobody injured and only a few families had to be evacusted. The Northern Highway was closed for a couple of days and the road trains were backing up into the city. It's open now but with a 50kph speed limit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Look forward to your report Stanley of Little Exile, even tho we actually came out here with our parents and the article said that the youngsters came from childrens homes, which is where we ended up, it will still be interesting.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll let you know Cath....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

[quote="Stanley"]Is it like ordinary HD Freesat? Can you buy the box and be subscription free?quote]

It is. To record you simply look at the 7 day epg and have the option to "remind" or "record". You also have the option to "series link" the recording. You can plug an ethernet cable in and watch BBC or ITV iplayer as well.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The problems of (abbreviations ? ) HD = High Definition , HDD = Hard Disc Drive. Unless its a HDHDD receiver/recorder.
Gearce

Post by Gearce »

Today I received a chain email from a friend. You know the kind:

You must send this on in 3 hours after reading the letter to 10 other people.
If you do this, you will receive unbelievably good luck.
*NOTE*
The more people that you send this to, the better luck you will have.

It started:
'I believe whatever is in store for us will be for us.'

Then followed this poem.

Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it, a year is gone.
And I never see my old friends face,
For life is a swift and terrible race,
He knows I like him just as well,
As in the days when I rang his bell.
And he rang mine but we were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men.
Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name.
'Tomorrow' I say! 'I will call on Jim
Just to show that I'm thinking of him.'
But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,
And distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner, yet miles away,
'Here's a telegram sir,' ' Jim died today.'
And that's what we get and deserve in the end.
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

It then went on to say:
Remember to always say what you mean. If you love someone, tell them.
Because when you decide that it is the right time it might be too late.

I don't respond to chainmail and usually just delete without even reading what's inside but this one seemed to catch my attention and I did read it.
To quote ANONYMOUS
I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev, it sounds like the one I thought it was....
Remember me saying I might be paranoid about the bum payment site? I'm not going to tell the whole convoluted story but take it from me I'm still sorting the mess out. The problem started when the seller assumed he had sent the book but hadn't. I suspect he is incompetent..... Only consolation is that the order for the same book with Amazon worked fine.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

News that in the USA a baby born HIV appears to have been cured with"normal" drug treatment. At 2.5 years she has been off drugs for 1 year and no sign of any infection.
I wish someone would find a way that babies born with foetal alcohol/heroin syndrome in this country could be "cured" as the behavioural effects seem to be with them for life.
http://www.fasaware.co.uk/ Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard the same thing Nolic and agree with you. Life can be difficult enough without an avoidable handicap like that at birth. Poor kids!
I am angry and before I have my rant I apologise to any Catholics if I upset you. I've just heard that the ex-Cardinal O'Brien has come clean and admitted that the allegations of the clergy he abused are true. By the way, they say that when they approached the church authorities they were told to keep quiet as it would damage the Church, and of course, by implication, their careers. See this LINK. Remember that this is the man who was so outspoken against same-sex marriage and gays that he was named 'Bigot of the Year'. As an example of hypocrisy it could hardly be worse. The new Pope will have to decide what to do about him but excommunication wouldn't be too severe. Most likely thing is that they will bury him in a religious institution somewhere and in effect continue to protect him and bury the matter. How much more evidence is needed about the cancer at the heart of the Western Roman church? I wonder what the Orthodox Eastern churches make of all this? We hear nothing from them and it would be nice to know that they are doing better!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote:Apart from the news I very rarely watch "live" TV. My Freesat box has a built in HDD recorder
We've been using a hard disk recorder since they became available and wouldn't want to be without it. Almost everything we watch is recorded first and watched when we prefer, and it's great to be able to fast forward through the ads!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

St Lukes Hospital In Bradford has to be one of the worst mapped and sign posted public building that I have ever been in

I only had to go in to sign a consent form for a clinical trial :surprised:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did anyone hear the re-run of the interview John Humphrys did with Keith O'Brien before he admitted his guilt? They played it on Today yesterday. Listening to it with hindsight was very revealing. All the old clichés trotted out form a position of certitude and authority. I found this quotation: "Of all Villainy there is none more base than that of the hypocrite, who, at the moment he is most false, takes care to appear most virtuous" Cicero. De Offificis, Book 1, Ch 13, Section 41. Fits perfectly..... The caretaker archbishop preached a sermon last night admitting that the greatest damage was O'Brien's hypocrisy. Funnily enough I have just written some articles in which I reprise the story of the Black Death in Barlick. The greatest engine for social change was the fact that the church (all Catholic at the time of course0 told the congregation that the plague was God's punishment for their sins, then the peasants realised that if this was true the clergy must be sinners because they were dying as well. Some things never change, what must devout Catholics be thinking about their priests now? They have my sympathy.
The dreadful story about the woman who asked the hospital and the police to detain her because she felt just like she did before she murdered her mother. She then went out and after failing in one attack murdered an innocent woman. The thing I noted was the footnote that two nurses at the hospital were sacked. Nobody further up the chain culpable?
I note that despite the global economy teetering on the brink of disaster the stock markets are soaring. Could someone somewhere be making money out of adversity? (Wash your mouth out Stanley!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”