WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Thomo

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Thomo »

Two points I would like to add here. If a person buys or lives in a home close to a factory, 1. they should expect a degree of noise consummate with whatever the factories operations are, and 2. I do not recall cycling generating high noise levels.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade, I agree with the concept of letting the existing changes bed in and fine tune as necessary. One of the worst aspects of modern politics is the constant call for change. Look at Education and the NHS for probably the two worst examples. I often think that these initiatives are more to do with personal aggrandisement than sensible management.
The Lawrence affair and the activities of the SDS moved onto a different plane yesterday with the Dispatches programme on C4. Mr Francis says that he is prepared to appear as a witness in a public enquiry and says that there is much more to be revealed. He said that after the Hillsborough debacle the senior police management will have to address these matters because it is obvious that eventually the truth will emerge.
Mr Snowden has left Hong Kong and seems to be heading for Ecuador. Lots of red faces and arguments and the suspicion that there is even more bad news to come.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The picture of the town square on the front of the site, looking towards the pet shop shows that the Town Council sign must be a recent innovation
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Tardis wrote:The picture of the town square on the front of the site, looking towards the pet shop shows that the Town Council sign must be a recent innovation
This one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A letter from Gisburne Park informing me that my appointment was Tuesday not Wednesday. Three hours notice but daughter Susan came to the rescue, we were there and back within an hour. Good outcome, no problems with eyes apart from cataracts so I am booked in for surgery. Estimate is within three to four months but could possibly be sooner. Yippee! (And I get me teeth back next Tuesday.... things could be worse)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Mervyn King in front of the parliamentary committee yesterday leading his own defence.

His only problem is that history only remembers the names of the bad governors of the Bank of England and the biggest crisis in the history of this country was on his watch and he had the power to mitigate it
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Tardis wrote:Mervyn King in front of the parliamentary committee yesterday leading his own defence.

His only problem is that history only remembers the names of the bad governors of the Bank of England and the biggest crisis in the history of this country was on his watch and he had the power to mitigate it
They do say a man who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer. A sad sign of our times is that stupidity thrives, they also say that cream floats to the top,an equaly buoyant material is the waste of all living creatures, I would suggest that this is what we find in most high positions.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that Ian and Pluggy have given me a small task......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Son Tom (14) up at the crack of dawn (well, not quite, but you get my drift?).

On school-days, it usually takes a block and tackle to raise him from his pit; today he's 'on strike' due to strike at school.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Anyone thinking of paying for DNA tests to see if they are related to Richard III, or any other historical figure, should have a look at these comments first:
http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/view ... 388#p39388
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Get to walk up to Pickles Hippins again today with the dog to see if the contractors have finished repairing the bridge across the beck
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Pendle Council Officers have recommended approval of the Foster's Arms scheme:

http://www.pendle.gov.uk/egov_downloads ... 7.2013.pdf pg22
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The work to rebuild the parapet on Pickles Hippings bridge has been finished.

I had an email from someone concerned that the copping stones were of different types and sizes.

When I checked one of my 'before' pictures, they were like that previously. They've been put back as they were.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Yes, the contractors recovered the stone & laid them up the path to the left before reusing them.

They have also scoured the beck and removed much of the stone which caused the ponding on the other side of the bridge. That will disturb the local ecology for a while, but the next rain storm will probably provide more
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Always interesting to look under bridges and see how they have developed over the years....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

On my journey home this morning, a lady came out of a side street and drove into my offside rear door,after parking I returned to the ladies Mini and asked if she was all right. First words out of her mouth why hadn,t I seen her and stopped. It is now clear to me that their is no one in our society who will take responsibility for their actions from the most esteemed posts down to the man on the street.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The bridges section at LCC have offered to relay the smaller coping stones on Pickles Hippings bridge. Here's an extract from the email:

"The stone mason tried to get the main length level. You can see on the attached photo of the old wall, there is one coping in the centre which was out of line. He has swapped a couple of the copings around to achieve this. The end three appear to have been shimmed up in the past with very thin course stone wedges. He took a decision to avoid shimming this so that the mortar bed line could be level all along the whole length of wall.

If you wish we could raise last three copings, to make the full length of the top of the copings level."

And here's the photo of the parapet in 2012 before the work was done:

Any views as to whether to let copings lie, or relay them?

I've posted a couple of different pictures of the bridge in Forgotten Corners.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Why not do what the contractors did when they refurbished East Hill Street? Get some recycled half round copings and make a proper job along the whole length?

Despite being up at the usual time I have spent over an hour dealing with a request from an academic for help with a book he is writing about the Anzacs.... I think I'll go for a walk and do the site when I get back!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Woken up by wood pigeons and couldn't get back to sleep. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News this morning that 'Bittern' an A4 class steam loco, same class as Mallard which still holds the world's steam loco speed record, has been given permission to make a high speed run up the East coast line. Magic! (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A photo I took of A4 Pacific loco Bittern visiting the West Somerset Railway in March 2009. The engine originally had LNER number 4464 but eventually became 60019 in 1948 after nationalisation.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Today is Armed Forces Day and public buildings are flying the flag in support
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I did see Mallard when I went to York last month, and will hopefully see it again next week. Always attracts a crowd in the railway museum. I did post a picture on twitter, but seem to have deleted it from my phone to maintain memory capacity
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Whist reading this post I am able to look up and see a collection of A4's in my display cabinet. In the early 60's it was my privilege to be allowed on the footplate of Mallard in Colne sheds, and still have a penny she ran over on leaving. Now I look forward to Bitterns outing. Ive posted a picture of Sir Nigel on my gallery.
Last edited by hartley353 on 30 Jun 2013, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It was reported on the news that she was allowed to reach 90mph on her run yesterday. A long way off the record (not an attempt) and way under her capabilities, I would have thought that they would have allowed a Ton at least.
Ian

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”