Post by Thomo »

Here is a copy of the Freedom Scroll prior to signing and sealing:-

Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BARNOLDSWICK WAR MEMORIAL RE-DEDICATION

Post by Stanley »

This might be of interest as a contrast to the above pictures. The temporary wooden cenotaph in Letcliffe Park immediately after the Great War.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Nice e/mail from Allan Salkeld at Saluteyou this morning:-

Dear Peter,

I would like to thank you and your team for the opportunity that you gave Salute over the weekend to enable Salute to show the residents of Barnoldswick what services Salute can offer to the Armed Forces Veterans and their families.
We had a good response from the public of Barnoldswick to which we have you and your team to thank.
If you have any other events that you would like Salute to attend please feel free to contact me as the team at Salute would only be to happy to attend.

Once again from all of the team of Salute thank you for your kind hospitality over the weekend.

Kind Regards

Allan Salkeld

Allan Salkeld (East Lancashire Area Support and Development Worker)

Office: 01282 452697
Salute Limited
Room 35
62-65 Yorkshire Street
Burnley
Lancashire
BB11 3BT

And the response from Major Bob Heron in reply to my thank you e/mail:-

Dear Peter, thank you for your kind words. Personally I found the whole occasion very humbling and it clearly meant so much to the people of Barnoldswick. It was a privilege to be part of it. I think yourself and Ken deserve the gratitude of the town folk and I'm sure you will get it. I was surprised at how close the community of Barnoldswick is! You did them proud.

Kindest regards

Bob
Travis

Post by Travis »

The panel on the Naval Memorial at Chatham. H Barter's body was recovered and was buried in Worcester, his hometown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It is indeed Travis, at his Fathers behest, His name however is on our War Memorial, as this was his home at the time of his death.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Link to article on Pendle today, BET:-

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/local ... -1-6033467
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This is from 4 Yorks-Media:-

Freedom of Barnoldswick

By The Yorkshire Regiment · 8 September · · Taken in Barnoldswick, Lancashire

The historic West Riding town of Barnoldswick, now situated within Lancashire, awarded an Honorary Freedom to The Yorkshire Regiment at a ceremony held in the town centre.

The town recently completed a refurbishment of its war memorial adding forty-six names which had been missing off their memorial from World War One and World War Two. Their research identified a large proportion of local soldiers from the Yorkshire Regiment's antecedents. Consequently, the Town Council voted to recognise this connection by inviting today’s Yorkshire soldiers to receive this honour, parade through the town and witness the unveiling of plaques listing the additional names.

The 4th Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment were selected to attend, a fitting role, as it was the Territorial Force soldiers of the 6th battalion the Duke of Wellington's Regiment who were based in the town's TA Centre (until 1968) and led the town's World War One parade in 1919.

And the link to their facebook pictures:- http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 156&type=3
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

There is little doubt that modern ingenuity has made this project much easier. "But" I am now beginning to discover just how much "Social Media" is eroding a way of life familiar to most of us. Facebook and Twitter are replacing the old community spirit, the old "Word of mouth" and the local papers. Whoever it was who thought up the "Dalek" was not far off the truth!! Several times since Sunday I have spoken with people who were there, some of the results of this beggar belief. In short, many of them didn't know what was happening until the last minute, and still do not have a clue about what went into it, I was even asked "How much were you paid?" only after being asked if I had anything to do with it!! Maybe this attitude is responsible for the absence of some local historical bodies, and those who may have had an interest. I could go further, but I still have much to do. I finally started work on the book again yesterday, and today reached the end of 1918, the hundreds of hours spent online are nearly at an end. I have already thanked some of the major players involved, and will in time thank the others. But now I would like to extend my thanks and best wishes to all of you who have visited this topic, and shown an interest, it made the task easier, and means a great deal, again, "Thank You".
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Despite the comments about our local MP in other topics, there is a well written and fairly accurate piece in his column in the BET about last Sunday's event, more accurate than the coverage in the BET itself and the CH, both of whom have held the facts for some time. I called at the Memorial this morning, put the wreaths back where they should be, and reflected on what brought this all about, and what comes next. There is the book of course and last weekend saw much more interest in that project, and there is another issue that bothers me no end, the "Barlick Rat Run" The brainless morons who treat this town as though it didn't exist, this WILL reappear in one of my other older topics shortly, and will also land in the lap of Lancashire Traffic Management and the Police. Grrrrr!
Travis

Post by Travis »

'Saw you this afternoon Thomo as I passed in the wagon, you looked contented with life. Now was that an 'afters Martini you were caressing? :grin:
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Hi Travis, if it was amber it would have been rum, if red, then vino collapso!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Thomo wrote: and there is another issue that bothers me no end, the "Barlick Rat Run" The brainless morons who treat this town as though it didn't exist, this WILL reappear in one of my other older topics shortly, and will also land in the lap of Lancashire Traffic Management and the Police. Grrrrr!
The recent crack down by the police over speeding was quite effective according to them and they have raised the level of coverage for the Bracewell Road.

After the accident on Skipton Road yesterday, there may yet be more investigations
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I am much relieved that the weather last Sunday was not as it is today, for one thing there would not have been the Spitfire. and the rest of the event would not have been as comfortable as it was. The central heating engineer who came yesterday was another one brought out of his house by the sound of the aircraft, but had no idea what it was all about. Even my ex wife, who got a full account from my Son who was here for the event, has sent her congratulations for a job well done. The day had several highlights for me, the first being the phone call from the Spitfire Pilot as he was preparing to depart Scotland, as a young lad I wanted to fly one. And then the aircraft itself, that sound, unmistakeable sent shock waves through my body, in 1945 a Spitfire pilot who used to stay next door at his Grandmothers when on leave, used to push me up and down Rainhall Road in my pushchair at breakneck speed, he also would have a couple of his chums with him. At the Wars end they came back, this time in their aircraft, and "Beat Up" the town. And then there was the Band, absolutely brilliant, I felt very proud to be a part of the Parade, yet would also have loved to see it passing by, but I have many pictures of it. There were a few minor glitches, and now of no consequence whatsoever: I didn't have my camera to hand when the Spitfire arrived, the local Cadets suffered an apparent lack of leadership, they were supposed to unveil the plaques, but remained rooted to the spot, this resulted in a rather undignified unveiling, and like the Sea Cadets, they are young and hopefully will learn, at least they were there, and that meant a great deal. On Monday, I ached all over, not from over exertion, I believe it was the release of the build up of pressure, and the worry that it all could have gone badly, it did not, and what passes for normality is slowly returning!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You echo most of my feelings as well Thomo. A very good day all round despite as you say the minor glitches. Neither of us was expecting to do the unveiling and I just wish we had been left to our own devices for a little longer, an extra minute would not have made any difference and would have resulted in a slightly more dignified hand over to our attendant wives, as was planned and expected. Down to a minor lack of communication or understanding of the planning no doubt. I have read all of the reports in the local papers and I don't think one has got all the details correct, despite being pre-fed with the details for months before the event, the photographers did a much better job than the journalists in this regard.

Glitches apart, it was a good day, and one that will remain with me always.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just found this on Angus (Gus) Brennans Facebook page.

Barnoldswick Memorial Dedication:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/EGbep7nSsWo[/BBvideo]

As usual and excellent job, thank you Gus.
Ian
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

At last night's Barnoldswick Town Council General Purposes I was able to ask the following question in the public forum because it wasn't on the agenda:
In view of the success of the rededication of the cenotaph ceremony, would the Council consider recognising Ian and Peter, who put in all the hard work, by also giving them the freedom of the town?
They said that they'd consider it
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Goodness me, whatever next?!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Tardis wrote:At last night's Barnoldswick Town Council General Purposes I was able to ask the following question in the public forum because it wasn't on the agenda:

In view of the success of the rededication of the cenotaph ceremony, would the Council consider recognising Ian and Peter, who put in all the hard work, by also giving them the freedom of the town?
An unfortunate post Peter and Ian.

In response to Mr Thompson's question, I responded that members of the town council had already informally discussed honouring Peter and Ian. I didn't refer to Freedom of Barnoldswick.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I think that it needs to be understood that I didn't do what was done for the glory, or social gain, and I am sure that Ian would say the same, Something needed to be put right, and it has been.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Not making light of the honour, but what does 'Freedom of the Town' actually mean?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The Freedom of the City or Town is an honour bestowed by a municipality upon a valued member of the community, or upon a visiting celebrity or dignitary. Arising from the medieval practice of granting respected citizens freedom from serfdom, the tradition still lives on in countries such as the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Australia, and Canada – although today, the title of "freeman" confers no special privileges. The Freedom of the City or Town can also be granted by municipal authorities to military units which have earned the city's trust; in this context, it is sometimes called the Freedom of Entry. This allows them the freedom to parade through the city, and is an affirmation of the bond between the regiment and the citizenry.

Taken from Wikipedia!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In addition, some freedoms granted to regiments included the right to march with fixed bayonets and banners unfurled.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The city of london freemanship is the one to be desired. Possessors may drove their sheep over London bridge, if found drunk in a public place the police must get them a taxi home. They are permitted to carry a naked sword in public ( not recommended with the trigger happy Met ). And should they be condemned to hang they are entitled to a silken rope. There was a time when only Freemen were entitled to vote.
From Wiki.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A nice complement this afternoon over the garden gate from a descendant of one of the Rohilla victims, "That was a good show the other Sunday, well done". Sadly he was unaware of the Spitfire, heard it, but missed it. And then he asked, "What are you going to do now?" so I told him about the book. This is now progressing again and work on Chapter 9 has started, 1921-1939, after that it becomes difficult again, and so will possibly not be as comprehensive as WW1.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thomo, forgive me for intruding but I know I can get your attention via this thread and it's something that might interest others too. I've just read an article by historian Sam Willis in an old BBC History magazine (March issue) and it mentions a book he's just had published titled `In the Hour of Victory: The Royal Navy at War in the Age of Nelson'. The book is unusual in that it's based on a collection of despatches (found by Willis in the British Library) from admirals, captains, surgeons etc on Royal Navy ships in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. With your interest in the RN I thought you might want to know about it - if you ask at your local library they should be able to get a copy for you to borrow. The description on Amazon is as follows and it gets 5 stars from those who have reviewed it:

"Between 1794 and 1815 the Royal Navy repeatedly crushed her enemies at sea in a period of military dominance that equals any in history. When Napoleon eventually died in exile, the Lords of the Admiralty ordered that the original dispatches from seven major fleet battles - The Glorious First of June (1794), St Vincent (1797), Camperdown (1797), The Nile (1798), Copenhagen (1801), Trafalgar (1805) and San Domingo (1806) - should be gathered together and presented to the Nation. These letters, written by Britain's admirals, captains, surgeons and boatswains and sent back home in the midst of conflict, were bound in an immense volume, to be admired as a jewel of British history. Sam Willis, one of Britain's finest naval historians, stumbled upon this collection by chance in the British Library in 2010 and soon found out that only a handful of people knew of its existence. The rediscovery of these first-hand reports, and the vivid commentary they provide, has enabled Willis to reassesses the key engagements in extraordinary and revelatory detail, and to paint an enthralling series of portraits of the Royal Navy's commanders at the time. In a compelling and dramatic narrative, In the Hour of Victory tells the story of these naval triumphs as never before, and allows us to hear once more the officer's voices as they describe the battles that made Britain great."
Hardcover: 416 pages, Publisher: Atlantic Books (1 Feb 2013), Language: English, ISBN-10: 0857895702, ISBN-13: 978-0857895707, Product Dimensions: 23.6 x 17.6 x 3.8 cm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/In-Hour-Victory ... 0857895702
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Local History Topics”