WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Thomo

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Thomo »

The search for the missing aircraft has been suspended until Sunday ET following the discovery of oil slicks close to the last reported position of the aircraft. Two of the passengers were using passports stolen in Thailand earlier, this does not look good at all.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A nice visit from one of my grand daughters and her splendid bloke. See Shed matters for what we got up to.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

There is now no doubt that those poor souls on that plane are dead. The mystery surrounding what happened has deepened as international intelligence becomes involved.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Phil

Post by Phil »

The most incredible result in the Football League: Blackburn B******* 1 and the mighty Clarets 2, after 35 years well worth a mention, also put us lots of points clear of third place, could we looking at a a place in the "promised land" again!!!! Come on you Clarets!!! I hope you see this post Paul as we are playing bloody well!!!! Thanks to the Italians who gave Sean the push from Watford! What a good desicision that was, thanks from all the Clarets fans for delivering this great result. We love you Shaun, the Ginger Mourinio!!!!!!!!!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, with the new cable box just outside the door!

Another stage in the ongoing refurbishment of the Railway. Sand blasting yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Kev, with the new cable box just outside the door!

Another stage in the ongoing refurbishment of the Railway. Sand blasting yesterday.
DO we know what they're doing with it? Jono was going to open a coffee bar in there but he's gone now.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

The wife reckons they are making apartments out of it, but she doesn't know where she heard it....
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Pluggy wrote:The wife reckons they are making apartments out of it, but she doesn't know where she heard it....
The first floor got planning permission for flats a few years ago. The developer made a start on the building but didn't get very far along with the work.

At the time of the planning application for the flats, the owner said the ground floor was going to become retail (they don't need consent for this, as it's the same planning use class as a pub). Johno from Coffee Corner was going to move into half the building but gave up when the building work didn't go ahead.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's good to see the refurbishment moving on. Just need to get someone in the old Pumpkin's Card Shop and the Barnoldswick Deli. Mind you, Newtown Carpets shop will be empty soon once the business moves to the Town Square.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The young man at the opticians telling me it would be another five days before I get my new reading glasses......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

A view of Barlick on BBC TV last night. Bang Goes The Theory used a view of one of our Town Square streetlights and a general view of Albert Road to illustrate electricity demand in a programme about the national grid. It was filmed in February 2013 when they did the programme about wi-fi.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Here's a real "Fire Station"

Fire Station

No one hurt, so I suppose we can have a little chuckle.
Great quote from The Deputy Chief Fire Officer -
"I think there is a fire safety message there for us. This building's relatively new, but it wasn't sprinklered."
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I caught that glimpse as well David.
The strange light that shone in the sky all day......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

No one on here mentioned the local education story. Bottom in all the country
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Talking of the fire service, we had fire engines racing through our village yesterday with sirens blaring and lights flashing...and heading straight at the flooded area. Very noticeable because at present there is very little traffic in the village due to the blocked roads. It turns out that they were attending a motor accident in another village where a lady had suffered injury to her back and needed lifting out of her car. The accident was on the very edge of the flooded area and could only be reached from the north. Fortunately the emergency services were routed the correct way - we've had other instances during the floods were they've been sent from the wrong town and ended up with nowhere to go and other vehicles had to be sent from further afield to approach from the opposite direction. A problem of having centralised emergency phone services where the operators don't know what the local conditions are.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's one for Tiz. I got caught again by not looking carefully enough when buying a book. I wanted a fairly rare book that's out of print, went to Bookfinder and found a reprint by Lightning Source UK Ltd, it arrived yesterday. It was a reprint all right! Machine scanned, no formatting and text only. Totally useless and a complete rip-off. This is a racket because nobody in their right minds would spend money on such trash. Couldn't be arsed to complain, I have better things to do. Like going back onto Bookfinder, searching properly and finding a worn first edition hardback by Yale University for £20. I got word this morning it has been dispatched. Don't trust these print on demand 'reprints'. By the way, nothing in the bookseller's blurb on the site to alert you. Only the fact that it's a reprint published this year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Malaysia flight MH370 still missing. A terrible situation to be in but I find it incredible that the American military don't know something about it. In the latest rocket test firings by North Korea they could tell how long, how far and what direction the rockets flew in. The only reason for the silence is that they are unwilling to disclose the degree of surveillance that they have on China. Perhaps its a bit of conspiracy theory but there you go.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley, send the book back and tell them you've changed your mind and want your money back. They have to take it and give you your money under the Distance Selling Regulations. The Regs are there to deter such things but if people don't take advantage of them then you can't be surprised that this is going on. Too many people are saying they can't be bothered and it lets everybody from back street traders to banking executives get away with blue murder.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Tiz but I get so bored with things like that. I think it's an age thing.... At one time I would have been at their throats. It's complicated by the fact that the first element of the text is a disclaimer which virtually admits the scan is useless and stating that they ask booksellers to point this out. of course the booksellers don't make this clear. Some clever lawyer has been at work and while I don't think it would be a defence in court it muddies the water enough to deter people from any rectification.
There is a remote possibility my near readers could be here today. About time too!
It looks as though Pink Pamper on Newtown has bitten the dust.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

SatNav #Fail

Lucky a PCSO was around to help him reverse all the way back up Rainhall Road
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

SCG My understanding is that you don't need any reason to return an item (within 7 days? ) for a refund under the Distance Selling Regulations. You may have to pay the return postage if there is nothing wrong with the item. I'd be returning it.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A letter today from the Witness Care Unit for the Criminal Justice System regarding the bloke who drove into my car and a neighbours last November which I noted in this thread. I gave a statement regarding the incident which was used by the police in prosecuting the case.

Five months later the result is out, the bloke has been given 8 weeks imprisonment suspended for 12 months, his licence has been endorsed and he has been disqualified from driving for 4 years, he was charged costs of £85 with an additional surcharge of £80. He has the right to appeal but the CJS thinks that this is highly unlikely.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did he have to pay for the damage?
Called in at opticians and was greeted by the start of a long explanation about telephone calls blah blah. I cut the lad short and asked whether the glasses had come, he said no, exit Stanley. They don't realise that all I am interested in is delivery, I'm not interested in how they run their business.
How getting out and doing some work causes funny little aches and pains......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote:Did he have to pay for the damage?
In a word Stanley, no, that's all down to the insurance companies. I decided not to pursue a claim as I have rocking on 20 years no claims bonus on my policy and daft as it seems, the minor damage (as perceived by a normal person) in the eyes of the insurance company could have led to them scrapping my car and I would get bottom book. It's worth more to me as it is as a 1.9DCI with 40k on the clock a recent new clutch, full service and cam belt. It's not right but hey ho, bugger all you can do about it with the way the insurance companies operate.
Ian

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”