WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Yup, I came across that when my last car was hit by the bin wagon. As I wasn't going to get another I offered to go away if they gave me £500, they bit my hand off and then I sold the car. All legal of course and the only motor I ever made a profit on!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote:SCG My understanding is that you don't need any reason to return an item (within 7 days? ) for a refund under the Distance Selling Regulations. You may have to pay the return postage if there is nothing wrong with the item. I'd be returning it.
That's right, Tripps. The regulation is meant to give people the chance to properly see, touch and try a product as they would if they went into a shop to buy it. When we had our publishing and bookselling business we had to take back books under that regulation during the time period if the buyer simply decided they didn't want it. It always seemed a bit draconian from our retailing perspective - someone could buy a book from us, read it, then send it back for a refund. Fortunately the books we sold were top quality and mostly sold to companies and other institutions. The only returns we ever got were the occasional printing dud with pages missing. My impression these days is that most people don't return things that are duff, they just throw them away or give them away (perhaps we all have too much money these days!), so it's no wonder companies sell bad stuff. Americans wouldn't put up with the poor service and products that we accept.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The piece of line between Burnley and Colne finally enters the 20th Century (just need electrification to get it into the 21st now). Today's B&E:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My readers still haven't arrived......
The conflicting reports and denials that surround the disappearance of the Malaysian airliner. Lots more to this than meets the eye. Latest 'information' is that it was definitely hijacked. No doubt this will change shortly....
Later at 08:15. The latest reports suggest that there is now very little doubt that the plane was hijacked and further (and this could be good news for the relatives) there is little chance that it was destroyed and there is the possibility that it could have been flown as far as an Asian republic and landed. The other inference is that the 'normal' communications with the plane went on while the transponder was being disabled. This suggests that the pilots themselves were complicit in whatever happened. Curiouser and curiouser.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Rolls Royce at Derby received a final communication from the aircrafts engines 7 hours after it took off. If the aircraft had indeed altered course and headed West, and dropped to a safe minimum altitude it would only have had to cross the narrow strip of land that separates Malaysia from Thailand without visual detection. Flying over the sea and below normal radar it could have easily flown to a country where it was expected without raising much suspicion. The 3 main contenders here could be Iran, Pakistan or the Yemen. I understand that the two passengers flying on stolen passports were Iranian! If this is indeed what has happened we can expect demands to be made at some point. Re using the aircraft at some future date without disabling the engines communication devices would lead to its detection and whilst not revealing its location would allude to its presence somewhere. If what is being suggested has actually happened, there has to be a point to it all.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The first qualifying session in the 2014 season F1. There are only three engines that qualify under the new regulations and at the moment it looks as though Mercedes have the edge. It's making it very interesting..... Adrian Horner of Red Bull (who use the Renault engine) says that the Mercedes powered cars could have a two lap advantage over the rest of the field.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Yesterday; Hugh Lawrence's artisan rosemary bread (foccacia? - but I don't know how to spell that, and neither does the spell check).

Hugh made it with rosemary picked from the Town Square herb beds to go with the soup I made for the Barlick in Bloom cafe we ran at the Rainhall Centre.

We raised £120 for Bloom funds at the cafe.

Meanwhile, other bloom volunteers were staffing the final day of our consultation about the Memorial Gardens. A further £30 was donated at the display.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Blast it! I should have posted the picture as a Mystery Object... and credited it to Ann Whittaker, who used her camera phone for the photo.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oxfam reckon Britain's top five families in the wealth stakes have as much assets as the lowest 20% of the population. (LINK)
Daniel Ricardo disqualified after coming second in the Grand Prix yesterday. Evidently some breach of fuel usage rules. F1 is getting almost too technical to understand!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"Evidently some breach of fuel usage rules. F1 is getting almost too technical to understand!"

He drove for Red Bull didn't he? Probably too much caffeine in the fuel?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Readers still haven't come......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Feeling really bad for Mick Jagger today re L'Wren's suicide. He (The Stones) have cancelled their Perth concert. Awful predicament to be in re contracts, employees, fans build up of expectations -maybe the last time Australians will see them, months of organising, venues/availability etc.
Thank goodness feelings rule. I think this will age him. :sad:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Readers have arrived and are OK. So I can cross that one off the list!
The return of the threepenny Joey! Well, almost... a new pound coin is going to be made (LINK). It is to replace the discredited pound coin as it is estimated that 40million of them at least are counterfeit. It is said that the new 12 sided, bi-metal coin will be 'impossible' to counterfeit. I don't buy that but would agree it will probably make it uneconomic to forge them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

On Sunday whilst on a little jaunt to Cornwall, it was very noticable that the sea was different between south and north coast. Much greater waves on the north beaches
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See this LINK for what looks like a credible report of wreckage found by satellite in the Southern Ocean 2,500k SW of Perth. Search has been initiated in the area.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Peter being presented with his Pride of Barnoldswick Award by Ken Hartley last night.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aha, got yours in the end Peter, smashing.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Congratulations Peter, Well Done :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Looks like Decisions of Barnoldswick will have the ground floor of "The Railway".
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Received in the post today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Front page of today's Craven Herald. That's every Pennine Service:

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/1108 ... um=twitter
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Edith Sheldrick buying Elaine out on the market yesterday. All that walking is doing her good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good old Edith, puts a lot of younger, unhealthier people to shame.

Local jeweller, Leon Dewhirst, set on a project for me today. I had a gold crown removed for replacement, and he's mounting it on a sygnet ring. Something a bit different.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like that Kev! Waste not want not!

My new outside light arrived so I popped it up. Exactly the same as the old one I bought 15 years ago including the mistake in the labelling of the adjusting knobs which I remembered and checked. Haven't altered any of them yet, I'll see how it goes on. The delay is about right but we'll have to see about the sensitivity of the IR detector and the light level it kicks in.
Isn't it funny how small 5BA screws can grab hold when they have rusted in! I had to cut the bracket with the 36" bolt cutters to get it off!
Another thing, the gremlins were watching me and when I came to use the FM3 the modem was dead. A quick furtle and it was the 3A fuse in the socket block that had gone AWOL. I never interfered with that circuit to do the lamp, just cut the supply to the downstairs lights so it wasn't a spike. Strange how it coincided with the outside light job.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

On the basis that the old ones are the best ones ......From The Lancashire Telegraph.

"A Psychic show due to take place at Darwen Library Theatre has been cancelled due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”