BARLICK, A SMALL TOWNS CONTRIBUTION TO CONFLICT

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BARLICK, A SMALL TOWNS CONTRIBUTION TO CONFLICT

Post by Stanley »

More images the better. Ian's right, stick to Barnoldswick so that text will be more searchable if you put it on line. I haven't used Lulu for so long that I am out of date with it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many Thanks for that. First of all, Pictures; I have included what I can find at the appropriate timeline, almost all of the Men from WW1 are grouped on pages of nine picks and inserted as a single page after the details of the Men depicted, I have up to now stuck with greyscale as in the main that is what is available. There are pictures of at least 90% of the Men from WW1. WW2 carries more detail of the Men but there are no individual pictures, here I have included pictures of their ships, aircraft and tanks etc. or pics of their regiments in action at the appropriate time and location. Regarding printing and publishing, last year I contacted a printer at Settle who had done the book for Bob Abel of Earby, I hope to speak with Bob shortly about this. I have had a look at "Lulu's" website and Colin Brittain has sent me details of his publisher. I have no experience of this at all and am willing to listen to, and be guided by anyone who has. It would be nice to keep it as local as is possible, and right now I miss being able to talk to Norman Fullalove, I have several books printed by Carrprint. I understand that there is now a printers in what was Kingdom Hall on Calf Hall Rd and I know that there is one in Earby. I also have direct access to a local e/book publisher, a friend of mine. Getting the book ready has taken over two years, leaving little time for consideration of the printing and publication issues, I am nearly there with the book and now going through the final editing process, this in itself is lengthy as more information is becoming available and need to be inserted appropriately.

Again many thanks, it is much appreciated, Thomo.
Last edited by Thomo on 12 Feb 2014, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The EDLHS have used Carro-step in Earby for much of our book printing, but Stephanie's last book was a bit thicker with 100 A4 pages so Pioneer Press in Skipton printed that one for us and it works fine with a stapled spine. Anything more than 100 pages will probably need to be perfect bound, and then it starts getting much more costly!
John Clayton (Barrowford Press) gave us a good quote for perfect binding our last book, but then he got too busy with another project and didn't have time to do it for us. He might be worth a try though.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Wendy. My book is now at over 360 A4 pages and could arrive at 400 before completion. On another note, I have mailed you through this site with a few jottings about my time at the Earby Band Club etc. If you have any questions then please ask.

Kind Regards: Peter.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Realising that this is now going to cost more than I can afford, I have been having a look at what funding is available. The main Heritage Lottery Funding site is off line at present, but by looking at area branches we must come under North West Pennine as once again we appear to be in "No Mans Land" the North West stops at Burnley!!! However, I have got an e/mail address for the Pennine branch and I am going to have a go at that. I have looked at all of the criteria involved and can find no valid reason for not giving it a try. When I have prepared the mail, I will post a copy here for your comments before sending it.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have a Heritage lottery application in at the moment Thomo, from Heritage Lottery Fund - North West. Pennine Lancashire is one of their target areas at the moment, so they are keen to get applications in. The minimum you can apply for is £3000. We are combining book printing with production of exhibition boards, talks etc.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Again Wendy, many thanks. I "will" be going there. First I am going to try and get the Town Council behind me on this, moral support. How I wish I could just get on with finishing the book and then hand it over. There are so many other things demanding of time, family problems and animal welfare being just two. The old local historian "Atkinson" wrote his book and then it was up to others to do something with it, thankfully they did, I do not want to do the same. The contents of this work are as far as I am aware, the most definitive record of this Towns contribution to conflict, and whilst being respectful in presentation, may be of use to present and future family historians, and of interest to the people of this Town and further afield. The book "Cravens part in the Great War" was the start point for this, and whilst not intended to replace it, it is a localised and updated version.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the beauty of Lulu, no money up front. Downside is that you have to do all the promoting and selling. The books are excellent quality but not the cheapest. My books run at about £15 but you can buy them cheaper as the author.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank You Stanley, I can see the good side and the other with Lulu. There is however very good news this morning, and whilst I cannot elaborate other than to say that this project was discussed at a Council Meeting last night, suffice to say that I can now concentrate on getting this work ready for launch at the Heritage Weekend in September. Again many thanks for your input on this.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

As the book itself is nearing completion, I have spent some time trying to design a suitable cover. The latest effort depicts what the book is about with graphics of the War Memorial, the Rohilla, the Welland engine and a "Tommy". The idea was to make it appealing, what do you think?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Looks OK to me Peter, the images are good representation of what is inside. One question would be, what is the copyright status on the images. I would think the war memorial is one of yours but what about the others?
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

They are re worked and had no clear indication of copyright in the first place. If anyone wishes to sue me, then its good luck to them. If they can withstand any ensuing onslaught and still stand proud and be victorious, they have no morals. This remember is for charity.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The Rohilla is from Colin Brittain with his permission, the Welland has nil identification, the only iffy one was the soldier, so have I replaced it with on of my Father in 1913.

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

The cover looks very good Peter. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Nolic, now here is the back cover:-

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Thomo, a personal view. I like the content but too many colours. I would have it all in black apart from the dedication at the end. Nolic
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Peter, agree with Nolic about colours; to my mind, it'd also be better with lower case lettering rather than in caps.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, the text should be predominately black and in upper and lower case. I think apart from the town name the front should also be in upper and lower.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Gentlemen. I will re do the back cover this morning and post it here later.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

How about these then?

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Spot on for me Thomo. Nolic
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's looking good Thomo. There is a spelling error in the bottom paragraph of the last page...the N is missing from "countries".
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thanks Wendy, its easily done but simple to rectify
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Should "towns" in the subtitle have a capital?
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

If it were any other town, it would not, but in this case as I understand it, as this Town is the subject, that is how it should be. The covers were produced using Paint Shop Pro 8 which does not have a "spell check" facility, an error is easily made. The current re worked back cover main text was done in Works and then copied into the graphic. I am about to try an optional version of the front cover in an attempt to mirror the back one, look again later. And thank you all.

Return to “Local History Topics”