Re: Barnoldswick Forces Memorial Gardens

Travis

Post by Travis »

OK, I'm an Offcumden...I realise that some people may have different ideals/ideas but some of the posts on here regarding such a minor issue have directed me to think that there are some funny folk up here. Bizarre comments to say the least! Thanks Ian, Stanley, Kev and David for keeping a sane view on things.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Travis, Thanks but you have now put yourself in the firing line with the rest of us!
I think Elsie was objecting to me pointing out that like all 'Big Brothers' she was anonymous also. Unwise perhaps but a statement of fact.
I think the posts of Kev and David are, as Travis says, measured and pertinent.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I am the "Big Brother" person who complained about an earlier post but I have no reason to want to slap down anyone.

I have more reason than many to be thankful that Barlick remembers its former forces members as I had an uncle who died during the second world war and seventy years ago today at about this time my dad was preparing to be launched onto Gold Beach as part of the initial invasion at Arromanches. Some 9 days later was being shipped back to Blighty with the back of one leg blown off.

I appreciate what the town is doing to tidy and preserve the Memorial Gardens and what other members of this site have done to enhance the war memorial and to commemorate the towns losses in both world wars.

I asked that the posts on this topic be monitored because of the direction that some were moving towards in relation to personal attacks. I was one of the first members of this site over 10 years ago and in that time we have experienced some very difficult people posting vitriolic and inappropriate comments because they were not stopped from doing so soon enough. These festered and caused a great deal of ill feeling for a lot of people. In the past few years this type of behaviour has generally stopped and contributors, whatever passionate disagreements they have had, remained respectful and considerate towards others.

I saw the negativity and personal comments starting to creep into this topic and hence alerted the moderators - something which any member has a right to do - and now stand accused of being a Big Brother henchman. For the record I don't know David and have never met him, I know Panbiker, Big Kev and Stanley - all of whom I hold in the highest regard.

Please continue with the debate as we all have every right to - one of the freedoms our forces protect for us - but keep the posts respectful and on the subject - not the people posting.

Nolic. Colin Myers former resident of Barlick and from a long line of Barlickers.
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Enfadado

Post by Enfadado »

Just came on cos had forgotten to log out and saw recent post regarding family members lost. Did you read Elsie's post?
I shall leave you all to yiour mutual back parting
We shall remember them
6th June 1944
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I've nothing to add to the previous posts; debate is good, and needs to be kept in proportion.

I do want to add a personal note, which I've not mentioned before.

The Barlick in Bloom initiative is a slightly strange scheme for me to be involved in. My gardening credential are zilch and I have little interest in the activity. My main motivation is the civic pride element.

However, within the family there's a strong link to professional gardening through my Uncle Alan, who worked in Barnoldswick after the war (he was responsible for laying out the pitch and putt course at the Rolls-Royce Sports Fields). By the time I was a young boy, Alan had moved to Jersey where he was head gardener at Howard Davis Park in St Helier. In various combinations of family members, we used to go and stay with Alan and my Aunt Sarah during the summer holidays. When I was 11, I recall making the trip to Jersey on my own.

The head gardeners house was a tied property in the park itself, so I spent many hours playing there and enjoyed using the hand pump to raise water from the cisterns under the green houses. The formal carpet bed displays were a marvel. Alan headed a team of gardeners and the park was kept immaculate.

For many summers as a boy, I was exposed to this professional gardening; it's surprising that some of it didn't rub off on me. But maybe there's a gardener inside me trying to get out.

But why I mention Alan is that he was injured in the D-Day landings and the Second World War marked the rest of his life. Aunt Sarah's obscure comments about him 'losing more than his health' in the war only became clear when it emerged after his death that he had separated from his first wife and lost his family during the conflict.

Working on the Memorial Gardens is particularly poignant for me; in a way, it's my homage to Uncle Alan, who I loved very much.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Enfadado wrote:Just came on cos had forgotten to log out and saw recent post regarding family members lost. Did you read Elsie's post?
Yes I did read her post..... why add the snide comment at the end? Absolutely no need for it and precisely the point I was trying to make.

Nolic
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Nolic wrote:
Enfadado wrote:Just came on cos had forgotten to log out and saw recent post regarding family members lost. Did you read Elsie's post?
Yes I did read her post..... why add the snide comment at the end? Absolutely no need for it and precisely the point I was trying to make.

Nolic
Excuse my ignorance but what's a "back parting"?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
DonDon

Post by DonDon »

Tried to do this three times so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Back home from hospital now and am disgusted to see the panto continues on this website. Mostly the boys not playing nicely but can you all just stop all this one -upmanship. We all have either close or distant relatives who died in the war, my own father was shot and died of septicaemia a week later but we should remember them and act respectfully.
Can somebody please tell me how I can safely leave this website forever as I am not comfortable with being a target anymore, I feel like I am being bullied.
Goodbye
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade Nolic, good and pertinent post and yes, some of us still have scar tissue. Never again!
Don Don, to leave, just stop posting, if you want your membership to be rescinded ask Ian (Panbiker) to do it in the topic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

First of all DonDon, glad to hear you are out of hospital. With regard to your account, you can simply stop using it or as administrator I can delete it if you wish.

I must say I cannot understand why you think you are being targeted, you have posted your views and comments on the site and other members have replied. This is called open debate and is the basis of a democratic society. Just because someone may have an alternative view does not automatically make them an attacker or you a victim. I am extremely sorry if you feel this way.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Whatever peoples feelings are, I think that this has gone on long enough. There are other related topics on this site, and whilst I am pleased that they do not generate this kind of response, they still need your input and comments!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The debate around the works, at the gardens, should not stop until something is agreed. Work appears to have stopped, I've not seen anyone there since Monday. I don't know if this is a direct result of the ongoing debate around access or, the contractors are waiting for materials. If it's the former and a way forward isn't found we'll end up with a building site, surrounded by a metal fence, for the foreseeable future.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I am not suggesting that this debate ceases, just that the tenure of it is modified.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Does anyone know how things are moving along with the Memorial Gardens?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

That was going to be my next question Kev. I noticed that the machinery has been removed, hopeful that this is only a lull in activities. A good start was made it would be shame now if it ends up fenced off for months over minor issues of permitted development.
Ian
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Not sure why there's been a pause in the work on the gardens; I don't think it's linked to the issue of the access. I know the contractors need a delivery of cut stone, which had a long lead time, before they can reconstruct the semicircular stepped platform and cap the various walls.

There was a meeting between council staff and John Broughton on Friday afternoon. I wasn't there and am awaiting a report back about the outcome. I understand though that the Broughton's are maintaining their ownership of land to be used for the access. (The council's position being that this land is public highway - as evidenced by the plans previously posted.)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

David Whipp wrote:Not sure why there's been a pause in the work on the gardens; I don't think it's linked to the issue of the access. I know the contractors need a delivery of cut stone, which had a long lead time, before they can reconstruct the semicircular stepped platform and cap the various walls.

There was a meeting between council staff and John Broughton on Friday afternoon. I wasn't there and am awaiting a report back about the outcome. I understand though that the Broughton's are maintaining their ownership of land to be used for the access. (The council's position being that this land is public highway - as evidenced by the plans previously posted.)
I do hope it's not something that's going to drag on...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'd like to thank Stanley, Panbiker, Big Kev, David Whipp and Nolic for their tolerance. Over the years I've observed their respect for those who went before them, especially for those who lost their lives or were disabled in wartime, and Barlick should be pleased to have such folk among its number. To accuse them of being disrespectful is hurtful, distressing and simply wrong.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Travis

Post by Travis »

Agreed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Posts noted. Thanks....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Thank you Tiz and Travis. Nolic
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, thank you both, I just want to see the project moved forward without all the back biting.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote:Yes, thank you both, I just want to see the project moved forward without all the back biting.
My feelings too, Ian.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The mason who is building and altering walls in the Memorial Gardens is back on site this morning.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

David Whipp wrote:The mason who is building and altering walls in the Memorial Gardens is back on site this morning.
I saw them, just a shame it's chucking it down with rain.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Local History Topics”