FUTURE BARNOLDSWICK AND LOCAL CENTENARY RELATED EVENTS.

Thomo

FUTURE BARNOLDSWICK AND LOCAL CENTENARY RELATED EVENTS.

Post by Thomo »

In 2014 there is only one more Centenary related event to come here in Barnoldswick, Remembrance Sunday on the 9th of November. Another linked event will take place many miles from here at Whitby, and I understand that our Town will be well represented. On the 1st of November I will have the honour of accompanying members of the Town Council to Whitby and will be laying a wreath on the wreck of HMHS Rohilla, on behalf of the Town, weather permitting. I am fully aware of the concerns in this respect having experienced "roughers" on many occasions around our coasts.

There is to be a weekend event in Earby under the heading "Our First World War Story" this will take place on Saturday and Sunday the 18th and 19th of October:-

Next year will see the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, and it highly possible that invitations to attend will be coming our way courtesy of the Yorkshire Regiment.

Yesterday I had a mail from an old school pal whom I have not seen for 59 years. Malcolm Hall and his family lived in the top lodge at Gledstone Hall, he and his older Brother both went to Gisburn Road and Barnoldswick Modern schools. Malcolm lives in Kent, his Brother in Harrogate and his Sister in Leicester, all are coming here on Remembrance Sunday as there is a family ancestor on our Memorial. Of interest here is that where Malcolm lives, they were scheduled for a Lancaster Fly Past, cancelled due to bad weather they unlike we, did not get a second chance, I have sent him the link to the video, and on that note, a second video has appeared on "You Tube" taken from Victory Park.

The recent Heritage Weekend was a good one in all respects, and I now have a comprehensive shopping list of possibilities for the future, all I need to know now is what and when.

My theory that we inhabit a no mans land between Skipton and Burnley is borne out by the apparent lack of interest from both the BBC and Granada, both were contacted pre event but did not even bother to respond. Footage of the Lancasters has been shown from Harrogate, Morecambe, Lancaster, Preston, Blackburn and further afield still, Barnoldswick, zero!

And so, if anyone has any idea's, suggestions or comments, critical or otherwise, then post them here. There are a couple of items on my list that could be very popular, but would require that Victory Park and maybe the open area just beyond be considered as additional event locations.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Re: FUTURE BARNOLDSWICK AND LOCAL CENTENARY RELATED EVENTS.

Post by Thomo »

The Book. This is still raising money for the three Charities; Help for Hero's and the Yorkshire and North West Air Ambulances. Current outlets are:-

The Rainhall Centre, Majestic Discount, Pressed for Time on Church St., Elegant Hair and Nails on Newtown, Lower Park Marina, Ingham's Butchers at Foulridge, Nutter's Newsagents on Albert Rd., and Singh's on Gisburn Rd. It is estimated that around 200 of the original 500 copies remain.

The Summer issue of Northern Life Magazine carried an article about the Rohilla and the local connection, a follow on article is being prepared purely from a Barnoldswick point of view.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thomo. Talked to a young lady yesterday from Barlick. She had bought a book at £10. Thought it was fantastic value and with the bonus that any profit went to these charities was icing on the cake. Well done!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Malcolm Hall, a blast from the past for me as I knew his father Robert when he was agent for the Gledstone Estate. He bred Border Terriers....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This just in from the Imperial War Museum in Manchester:-

Today at 9:41 AM

Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for sending a copy of your book to IWM North, it has now been passed to me.

My name is Charlotte and I am the Life Story Co-ordinator for the Lives of the First World War project. This is an online digital memorial where each individual who is on record as having served in uniform, worked on the home front or made a contribution during the First World War will have their own page of information, photographs and anecdotes. If you haven’t already, please visit www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org for further information.

Your research is fascinating and must have taken you much time and effort. It would be wonderful if you would consider contributing your research to Lives of the First World War. I understand that you have many hundreds of names contained in your book and so this will be a major undertaking, but just to take one example, the first individual featured on Page 11 – Private Walter McLeod Johnstone -

This is his life story page: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2135702

As you can see, at the moment it contains the information from his Medal Index Card – name, rank, number and unit. By clicking Search Official Records, you can find and connect information about Birth, Marriage, Death and Census records, as well as any military records, such as Soldiers died in the Great War 1914-1919 Transcription. Any supplementary information that you have already researched can be entered by clicking Add an External Reference, where you can cite your book as evidence. You will also be able to scan and upload images of individuals where you have them.

In this way, Walter’s life story page will help us to remember him now and in the future. You can also connect individuals together as a Community, so for instance you could set up Barnoldswick in the First World War as a Community.

I hope that this is helpful. If you have a specific query about Lives of the First World War or are having difficulty using the site you can view our FAQs here: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/faq

I am now going to pass the book onto my colleagues in our Learning and Access department so that they can also benefit from your extensive research.

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Charlotte

Charlotte Czyzyk

Lives of the First World War Life Story Co-ordinator
IWM North The Quays I Trafford Wharf Road I Manchester I M17 1TZ
FREE ENTRY – OPEN DAILY
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

What a fantastic resource that will become Thomo. Thanks for posting it. We will be contributing a bit to that no doubt with Sally's Great Uncle Thomas who was killed aged 19 just before the armistice. I might dig out my maternal Granddads stuff and see what I can put together for his service. He was all over like rash if the photos we have are anything to go by. Just thinking, in another 25 years it will be my children's turn to report on their Granddads exploits in WWII. I am current incumbent but all our families service stuff is going to be passed to our Carla, she will become the holder of the memorabilia and history, already sorted in our wills.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Ian. I am just about to sign up and create a Community section for Barnoldswick within the IWM database. The first Man to die from here was Walter McLeod Johnstone on the 8th of September 1914, IWM have sent me a link to Walter to do as a test, having had a look, all they have is Walter Johnstone and his service No, this matches the one that I have. I spoke with Mary yesterday and will be going to see her next week, she is going to lend me items that she has for copying, these include the letter from King George the 6th when her Brother was killed. The information from the IWM will also be passed to Bob Abel at Earby and CPGW. It would appear that I am going to be a tad busy for some time. It is now increasingly likely that the Heritage Weekend in 2015 is going to focus on VE Day and the Towns contribution to Aerospace, in view of this and a mail from Fl. Lt. (Parky) Parkinson at BBMF, an application will be going in very soon now with several possibilities in order of preference.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Out of the original 500 books, now only about 150 remain in store. one local outlet with two shops took 42 last week and asked for a further 24 today. I have set up a community for Barnoldswick within the Imperial War Museum website, this begins another big learning curve for me, but Charlotte has sent me instructions on how it works, these I will post in due course.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Hi Thomo, could you tell me which is the local outlet? I wish to buy a copy.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Travis, for your support over the years, I will gladly give you a signed copy, call in or tell me where you are, and thank you.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Cheers Mate, I'll pop round one evening next week.
I have been busy helping to reprint a WW1 book for my hometown, Middleton near Manchester. It was first printed in 1919 by the local paper and contains over 500 obituaries of local men lost in the Great War. A truly heart rendering book. If you wish I will give you a signed copy in return for yours! Good eh?
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Travis, you will be most welcome, as will your book, its all a part of the greater picture. Now lets have a look at what may happen next year: One of the ideas for the Heritage Weekend, 5/6th of September 2015, is to celebrate VE Day in the year of its 70th anniversary. The suggestion that it should embrace the arrival of this Town's aerospace contribution 75 years ago would also appear to be acceptable. With this in mind many possibilities present themselves, Work has already begun on this and today an application has gone to the BBMF for RAF participation for fly past's, any aerial display being fairly well out of the question due to Barnoldswick's location. Top of the list is the Red Arrows, followed by the BBMF Memorial Flight, then the Typhoons, Tornado's, Hawks and Tucano's. The Rolls Royce Heritage Trust will be contacted shortly, and hopefully we may see their Spitfire again. An early approach to other groups will again be paramount, and the options are now under consideration. Even in these early days any suggestions for attractive input will be most welcome.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This morning has been spent trawling the net for possibilities in respect of Aerospace relevant to here. Apart from the Nene which is local, and the Welland at Carlisle, and there, there is also a Merlin which although never built here, may still be of interest, both of these engines can be run.
There is another Welland, but like most RR engines pertinent to Barnoldswick, it is down South. RAF Cosford have a fair collection of RB engines. The Armstrong Siddeley engines built here at Calf Hall Mill, were the Cheetah MK IX and MK X, there is a MK IX at Cosford. There is also a Meteor tank engine, some of these were converted here from Merlins. The RR Heritage Trust at Derby appear to have a collection of display engines and they also of course have the Spitfire XIX that we saw last year. Time once again for the "early bird" approach, tempered with the "how much" gratis is always well appreciated!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

As ever Peter, good luck with your efforts!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Are there any Mustangs with Merlins in the country? Let's not forget what Bob Jacobsen called 'Our Little Friends'. He was tail end Charlie on B29s for 35 missions.... Funny thing is he didn't know until I told him that the big increase in range and performance that enabled them to travel to the target and back was due to the Merlin.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

These are the Mustangs in UK, although not specified it is highly likely that some will either have RR Merlins or the Packard Merlin built under licence. the original engines were Allison.

United Kingdom

Airworthy
P-51-D44-84847 - The Fighter Collection, in Duxford.
44-72035 - Hangar 11 Collection in North Weald, Essex.
44-72216 - Robs Lamplough in Duxford and North Weald.
44-73149 - Old Flying Machine Company in Duxford.
45-11518 - Maurice Hammond in Eye, Suffolk.

On display
P-51D44-14574 - East Essex Aviation Museum in Essex.
44-73979 - The Imperial War Museum in London.
44-74409 - RAF Museum in Hendon.
44-73415p - RAF Museum Cosford.

Under restoration
P-51D44-13954 - Mustang Restoration Group in Coventry.
44-14291 - Phil G. Earthey.
44-73098 - Aces High Ltd., Duxford.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Just as before in the past two years, it is back once again to thinking and waiting. Yet other things are happening as a result of what has gone before, this is very rewarding and deserves a mention here. Last week I had a visitor; "Travis" who came to collect his copy of the book, he brought me a copy of another book that he has been working on. This is a reprint of a 1919 book with the title "Middleton's Brave Sons", this gives some detail of all of the Men from there who died in WW1. I first met Andy "Travis" Fitton a few years ago when we helped Heather "Calluna" to bring a boat here from Silsden. But it was Travis who suggested a meet at Ghyll Church in October 2011. On that Sunday at Ghyll, there was Travis, Panbiker, Calluna and Elaine, myself and my friend Gordon Bell. It was from this meeting that the Barnoldswick War Memorial Group was formed, it was then also that it was suggested that a new book should be compiled, another item was the unmarked grave of Gunner Wilfred Anker, this has been processed but we are still waiting for his CWGC headstone. At that meeting Travis lent me two large folders containing his local research on WW1, this he has now given to me for safe keeping. During all of this we became close to Colin Foster and John Richardson of the website "Cravens Part in the Great War" or CPGW, this site will be refurbished in due course thanks again to the HLF. Their work and ours will now become part of a much greater picture through the Imperial War Museum website. Another visitor yesterday asking if I would be prepared to give a talk to one of the "Rainbow Groups" young Children aged 5 to 7, at the New Ship. The idea being to gently impart some knowledge about the significance of Poppies and the War Memorial, not only during this Centenary but for the future, this is something that was suggested quite some time ago by a fellow BWMG member and Councillor. Inform the future generations before it becomes too late is what it is all about. This coming weekend is the Earby event mentioned earlier, this deserves support and all will be welcome.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

There is a bit of development now in regard to next years event. Ian Craighead, the Chief Executive of the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust mailed me this morning to advise me that we may see their Spitfire again and that they may also be able to assist with a display on the ground. This is great news, but could be complicated by possible BBMF participation. If there was to be a serious conflict of interest here, it must be noted that any BBMF participation is "Fly Past" only, and that the Spitfire can do a display. I know my feelings on this and would appreciate any comments. It is easier to cancel the BBMF if conflict arises. Last year the Spitfire came on its way back from another event, this was on the Sunday, it appears that this may be the case next year and I have asked for the "heads up" on this. It will be some time before we hear from BBMF, but if as this year, it is set for Saturday, we may yet get both. A letter came from HRH the Duke of York thanking us for his copy of the book, in regard to next years event I may aim a little higher.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It would appear that the Rolls Royce tree has been well and truly shaken. Another mail, this time from Peter Collins, Curator of the RR Corporate Heritage Collection, they are going to see what they can do to help, this was also copied to my contact at RR here. All of this backs up my belief that an early approach is the best way.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Having just spoken with Peter at Whitby my place on the William Riley is confirmed for next Saturday. Much of what takes place then is of course dependant on the weather, I will be taking my own personal survival kit:- plenty of warm clothing, and a flask of good quality rum! On our return to Whitby we will witness the unveiling of a new Memorial Plaque to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Rohilla tragedy. Yesterday morning some of us who are going to Whitby were at our War Memorial for a picture for next week's BET, present were; Chairman of the Council Claire Teall and her husband, Mr and Mrs. Rodney Birtwistle, Garry and Kelvin Pickles, Heather Sheldrick, the Reverend Dianne Weaver and myself.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The wreath to be taken to Whitby is now complete having had its centrepiece fitted yesterday:-

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

There is little doubt that the visit to Whitby was a truly memorable and moving experience for all who attended. The way in which we were received by the people of Whitby was exemplary. The warmth and generosity of that community in general, and their members of the RNLI in particular was beyond reproach. If this town were to be "twinned" with anywhere, it should be Whitby. Having had the honour of laying a wreath on behalf of our town on the waters directly above what remains of HMHS Rohilla is something that I will remember and cherish as long as I am able. I have attended two such events in the past, but on those occasions I was unaware of the significance in regard to this town. The first was HMS Hood in the Denmark straits, Stoker 1st Class Arthur Altham of Parker Street, the second was HMS Repulse in the South China sea, Stoker Ronald Cawdrey.
I have just one more task to perform this year as far as I am aware, and that will be this evening. I have been invited to give a short talk to the children of the "Rainbow" group at the Independent Methodist Chapel (New Ship) about the significance of the poppy, this is definitely a first for me, the older members of that group being only five. This is what could be a very valuable experience for me as the education of future generations is a paramount feature of Remembrance. If this important part of our history is to continue to be an annual event, we must embrace the young now.
Some of the recent programmes on TV have been very well done, but possibly less popular with the youth of today, the "Passing Bells" being a fair example. One that I will not be watching is about the Mekong River having seen the trailers, the Mekong did not look at all like that in 1975, what little I saw of it was bodies and carnage, wrecks and putifrication, it was still a War zone.
After tonight it will be back to waiting again, I do not expect to hear from the BBMF until mid February 2015 at the earliest. Mails copied to here from Rolls Royce here and Derby, London and even Singapore indicate a positive input next year. Research into other possible inclusions is and will remain on going, but the hardest part is over. Regardless of this I would still appreciate any suggestions as to how we can put on another good show next September.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Last weeks talk to the Rainbows went down well and was not as difficult as I first imagined, afterwards I had the pleasure of presenting them with their badges for the Poppy project. This also led to something very interesting by way of a new contact for event attendance. The husband of one of the Rainbow leaders is a professional "Piper" and lives locally, I spoke with him at the weekend. He had recently played at the Edinburgh Tattoo and several other events, he is also a staunch supporter of Help for Hero's and plays to raise money for them. Its a long time since I heard Pipes played here, Bradford Pipe Band being the last at the annual Gala. This has been passed to other event team members and has received a positive response, "Switch on Saturday" being the first thought, I imagine he would not be out of place on Remembrance Sunday either. And, if he's good enough for Edinburgh, he will do nicely here.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Tentative sounding out between Ken Hartley and Richard Grainger regarding bringing the Rohilla show over to Barlick next April, coinciding with the town's St George's Day event (18th April).

The town council has agreed to include it in the programme of events subject to detailed arrangements being made.

Meanwhile, discussion taking place on facebook about the possibility of holding a 40s event in the town. I've mentioned the existing planning for the town's Heritage Weekend and the possibility of doing something around that.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Great stuff that is David. The Whitby musicians went down very well this year, and the idea of incorporating a 40's weekend with the Heritage weekend gives a much greater canvas to work with, and as it were, keeps it all under one roof. What we do need, as ever, are ideas that are workable beyond what is already possible. This is for Barlick, it requires Barlick ideas, and this is one of the places to make your ideas become reality.

Return to “Local History Topics”