COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote:I know it's not yours Tripps, I think the video and picture problem was first posted by Sue, she has tried it all ways up. It boils down to the Ipad platform not being all it's cracked up to be. £150 will buy something decent that actually works. Sally loves her Google Nexus does everything it say on the tin, right way up as well.
I did appreciate that is was not Tripp's device in my earlier post Tiz.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I note that Apple's year on year growth has stalled. Evidently the iWatch didn't cut it as the new 'must have'. Should they be in 360 degree VR?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I bit the bullet yesterday, and took my two old original computers to the tip. Easily over a grand's worth back in the day. Now virtually valueless. One was very heavy - and the guy at the tip said 'drive over there, and I'll come and help you'. He just picked them up one by one, and threw them into the skip. :sad:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The march of progress David. I have never skipped a computer, I've given them to people who haven't got one and set them up so they could use them as starters. It cured one lady's agoraphobia and she has never forgotten it. I gave FM1 to Doc, Kev bought FM2 at a good price and if I change again I'm sure someone would pay for this one, still a very fast machine especially on 40mb fibre. It's at its most impressive when searching the photo archive.... It can throw up well over 1000 images so fast you wouldn't believe it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Kev bought FM2 at a good price and if I change again I'm sure someone would pay for this one,
The FM2 is still going strong, apart from the addition of 2 3TB drives and the recent upgrade to Windows 10 it's as it was when I bought it, the FM3 would be a tempting prospect. I have someone who keeps eyeing up he FM2 :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I keep hovering round a change Kev. I promise that when I get round to it I'll give you a shout. No pockets in a shroud and I like to keep in front of the Kids!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I need some advice..... The more contact I have with my kids the better and they are nagging me to join Facebook because that's the venue where they are all talking to each other. I have decided to do it but I need you lot to advise me on what parameters I should set up when I join. Are there any big pitfalls I should avoid? My understanding is that they have a coven on the site and that's what I want to join without making any mistakes and exposing myself to needless interference/danger. I have no doubt I am being over-cautious but I'll be guided by you lot!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There are plenty of online tutorials for setting up and using Facebook Example.

It is a very useful tool for keeping in touch with friends and relatives across the world, P has family in NZ and friends in other parts of the world and she uses it to keep in touch. As a rule of thumb if you treat it as though whatever you're posting on your "wall" as the front page of an international newspaper you can't go wrong. You do however have the option of private messaging (may as well stick with email) or phoning someone through Facebook (may as well stick with Skype). Treat any links to offers or websites the same as you would in an email, if you don't know where it's come from ignore it

I personally don't divulge any personal information I don't want anyone else to see, only tell people about your holidays once you get back :-) common sense really. You can keep your "friends" list to just family if it's just going to be used for communicating and sharing pictures/videos with them.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Think you'll take to it like the proverbial duck to water, Stanley!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that. I'll give it some thought.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

6fingerskipton

Post by 6fingerskipton »

Todays agony.. Got a phone call yesterday morning

"Bongiorno, We have no Internet or Telephones in our Office, nor can we access our CRM software"

Oh, easy one thinks me, turn it off and back on again.. Nope, Lights flashing in random sequences and some with nothing plugged in. Shipped replacement firewall and switch,flights booked, taxi arranged. It all arrived in Italy before I even got off of the plane at lunch time.

£3k's worth of kit now in boxes with no logical explanation to why its gone pop. Ah well, least its not my money.

The weather is nice in Italy though, lovely and toasty. Will be back home in time for tea tomorrow, think its Beef Stroganoff :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like an exciting life.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Are there no IT guys in Italy?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I think it was when I opened an account for Mrs Tiz on Facebook that they demanded a phone number. If it wasn't Facebook it must have been Twitter. I can't see why they should need a phone number other than selling it on to make money.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote:I think it was when I opened an account for Mrs Tiz on Facebook that they demanded a phone number. If it wasn't Facebook it must have been Twitter. I can't see why they should need a phone number other than selling it on to make money.
Facebook do ask for a phone number but you can decline
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a look at the application form and it asked for a phone number or email address. Can I decline both?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:I had a look at the application form and it asked for a phone number or email address. Can I decline both?
You'll need one or t'other, it's no different to the OGFB user registration requirements.
Last edited by Big Kev on 19 May 2016, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Kev. I'm becoming clearer about what to do.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Should you ever forget your credentials, you'll find it next door to impossible to get your account back without the email and/or phone. Google and Microsoft accounts are the same.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

An email address or phone number is really just a basic level of security. Both can be used to validate a user if required. As Kev mentioned it's the same as we have on here with regard to the email. We also test new users to see if they have a modicum of intelligence with the Q&A. They don't do that on FB (maybe they should) and I have never received an email or phone call from them.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

A few weeks ago I reactivated my account with FB after suspending it for several years. Again I found FB very intrusive and I got a virus which resulted in me having to wipe my hard drive and restore from a back up. Couldn't definitely say it was from using FB but what a coincidence that FB was the only new thing on my computer. I hated all the shallow ramblings from other users, it reminded me of when CB was all the rage. Just as bad as when I suspended it a few years ago but even worse now. All these "You may know so-and-so" lists popping up. Very accurate, but it shows the levels they are digging into behind what you post. Not for me, but good for the air-heads.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I realise that China but it's a more efficient way of keeping up with the kids.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

(I don't) but you can severely limit your facebook contacts and use the privacy settings to provide a barrier on fb.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Noted David......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just browsing through the Maximum Image size that can be placed in the "Gallery" of OGFB. It quote 19.53 MiB. Thinking that was a typo for Megabytes I found this on Wiki.
1 MiB = 220 bytes = 1024 kibibytes = 1048576 bytes
The prefix mebi is a binary prefix derived from the words mega and binary, indicating its origin in the closeness in value to the SI prefix mega. One mebibyte (MiB) is 220, i.e. 1024 × 1024 bytes,[8] or 1048576 bytes.
Despite its official status, the unit mebibyte is not commonly used even when reporting byte counts calculated in binary multiples, but is often represented as megabytes. Formally, one megabyte means 1000 × 1000 bytes.[citation needed] Disk drive manufacturers strictly use decimal units, and the megabyte means 1000000 bytes. The discrepancy may cause confusion, since operating systems using the binary method report lower numerical values for storage size than advertised by manufacturers. Many operating systems compute file size in mebibytes, but report the number as MB. For example, all versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system show a file of 220 bytes as "1.00 MB" or "1,024 KB" in its file properties dialog and show a file of 106 (1000000) bytes as 976 KB.

It now all falls into place, a bit like stepping into an open mineshaft.
"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate", most frequently translated as "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

Return to “Technology & Communication”