POLITICS CORNER

plaques
Donor

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by plaques »

It seems strange to me that Ukraine would like to be protected by missiles supplied by NATO, read America, as some form of protection. America would perhaps gain by being able to strike Russia first and minimise destruction in America although in truth its back to the MAD scenario but another notch higher. Ukraine would finish up first in the firing line without any build up warning. A bit like our RAF Menwith Hill.

By the way our Buffoon was Mayor of London in 2019 the 70th anniversary of NATO but managed to get the year wrong in his recent speech by say it was the 74th year. Ah well another Buffoonerism.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wrote above about a February anniversary that might be a special marker in Putin's brain as time for action. I now realise it would more likely be the `Maidan Protest', aka `Revolution of Dignity' that took place in February 2014. Perhaps he's expecting, hoping for, or even secretly promoting demonstrations by Ukrainians of Russian descent that would lead to trouble, develop into violence which could be spun as repression of those people and give him the opportunity he needs for making a move into Ukraine.
Here's a timeline extracted from Wikipedia data...

18 February: Some 20,000 Euromaidan protesters advanced on Ukraine's parliament in support of restoring the Constitution of Ukraine to its 2004 form.
20 February: Internal Affairs Minister Vitaliy Zakharchenko announced that he had signed a decree authorising the use of live ammunition against protesters.
21 February: President Yanukovych signed a compromise deal with opposition leaders. Thousands continued to protest in central Kyiv, and the demonstrators took full control of the city's government district. An impeachment bill was introduced in Parliament.[83] On the same day, Yanukovych left for Kharkiv.
22 February: the protesters were reported to be in control of Kyiv, and Yanukovych was said to have fled the capital for eastern Ukraine.
23 February: Parliament named its speaker, Oleksandr Turchynov, as interim president.
24 February: A warrant for the arrest of Yanukovych was issued by the new government. Russia considered the overthrow of Yanukovych to be an illegal coup (and a "military seizure of power") and did not recognize the interim government.
1 March: Russia's parliament approved a request from President Vladimir Putin to deploy Russian troops to Ukraine.
24 March 2014: Putin stated, referring to the 2014 Ukrainian presidential election, “We will respect the choice of the Ukrainian people and will be working with the authorities formed on the basis of this election".
These extracts are from this Wikipedia page: Revolution_of_Dignity
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Leaving aside the complexities of Ukraine politics for a moment - and hopefully for a good deal longer. :smile: Have you seen Yanukovych's face - a failed poisoning attempt caused that, I vaguely seem to remember.

The word Maidan caught my eye. It was the word used to describe the city centre sports field in Singapore and I believe in Kuala Lumpur. A quick google shows it derives from a Persian word and seems to have spread far and wide. I suspect first to India, then via the brutal colonialist British and their obsession with games, to points further East.

Shown here Indian Maidans Cricket
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure how I segued from the Ukraine to cricket in Mumbai with Nasser Hussain but at least I now know what maidan means and can bracket it with rebus, another little bit of knowledge.
Going back to the Ukraine, I am sick and tired of people strutting round rattling their sabres and harking back to 1939 in an effort to prove they are important and in the case of the UK can 'punch above their weight' and exercise sovereignty. Biden is eyeing the mid term elections and Johnson is grabbing anything that will deflect the wrath to come as we near denouement after his two years of bluster. (Did anyone listen to the BBC programme 'More or Less' last night which concentrated on his lies and torturing of statistics?)
Very few people are telling the truth about Putin's domestic problems and their bearing on his current actions.
Meanwhile we have Rees Mogg making ludicrous promises about how good Brexit is going to prove to be.
Alll politics is a mad house at the moment.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Previous predictions had been that Russia would move on Ukraine `in late February' which was why I started my timeline above at 18th February. Now the talk is that the move will come this Wednesday, the 16th. The 14th-16th marks the 8th anniversary of what became known in Ukraine as the `Descent into Insanity'. Putin may be hoping that there will be marches and civil unrest in Kyiv and an opportunity to stir up trouble between the pro-Russians and anti-Russians and use it as an excuse to `protect' the pro-Russians.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There would be less chance of trouble if the 'amateur diplomats' kept quiet and let the professionals work quietly behind the scenes. If the peace of the world depends on the Buffoon we are in deep shit!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've been waiting to hear or see someone on the news media mention the Budapest Memorandum of 1994 in connection with the present trouble in Ukraine. At last Liz Truss mentioned it this morning on `Today'. The UK, US and Russia agreed security assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan. It was re-affirmed in 2009 but since the annexation of Crimea by Russia in 2014 Putin has been making excuses for going against the Memorandum. Budapest Memorandum
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I looked at the link - and it brought the words of Humpty Dumpty to mind -

When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less. ' 'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.

Boris works on the same principle. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been watching the NATO reaction to a few tanks moving out. Why can't they keep quiet! Liz Truss sounds more liker a deranged Thatcher look alike as each day passes. I'm sure she sees this as part of her bid for leadership of the Party, she is looking to play 'The Iron Lady', Rishi 'The Iron Chancellor'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm listening to our military man in NATO talking interminably about NATO and Ukraine. He sounds so confident and assertive and I wish he'd shut up. Just realised it is Ben Wallace, the defence secretary. They do like to go on don't they.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 16 Feb 2022, 08:26 They do like to go on don't they.....
Well, let's be fair, they've got to try to get a few words in before Garry starts presenting the Sport and to allow for all the BBC trailers and programme ads! :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have been amazed about how many times Boris has said that invasion is imminent? Does he have insider information directly from Vlad? If not, and I suspect that is the case he should shut up like the rest of them. Ramping up the paranoia in some folk just for effect.

It's the direct opposite of Neville Chaimberlains "peace in our time" and "I have in my hand a piece of paper that guarantee's ......."
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I suspect they don't have any real intelligence and have just made the same deduction that I've been making in the Politics thread - the local significance of the February dates and the opportunities for trouble.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Plus they think it makes themselves feel like statesmen and women. Takes the heat off Johnson, now he has lost Andrew....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

In spite of Liz Truss telling the Russians what they can or cannot do inside their own borders plus the media and our 'experts' predicting (guessing) what may happen old Vlad Putin is winning hands down. I think that gradually people will see that putting missiles up against the Russian border isn't a good idea and he has responded by amassing enough troops to invade any time he wants. Our only retaliation is to threaten sanctions and banking limitations. The problem with this is that there are loads of countries ready to jump into the trade vacuum especially those classed as axis of evil that are in the same boat. Keep calm and keep buggering on.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As usual Ken I think you are spot on. Looked at objectively, Putin has played a blinder in political terms since 1999 despite difficult economic times at home. He and his ministers have reached the position where they have Europe over an energy barrel, Germany is a prime example and we are close behind. Contrast his style of leadership with ours...... The buffoon, Liz Truss and Ben Wallace must have generated gales of laughter as they exerted their influence....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Jacob Rees-Mogg our Brexit opportunities Minister has just talked himself out of a job. "Brexit was already a success and boosting the economy" this is in spite on the the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) said there was a Brexit hit to trade with the EU, adding extra costs to trading with them. All down to Covid apparently according to Moggy. Moggy looks like good value for money with his salary going up £30 grand we can now do away with the OBR and save thousands. By-the-way, Moggy has a very impressive job title but doesn't have a job responsibilities specification. And who gave him this job? Yes quite right Buffoon get 'Brexit Done' Johnson. I'm sure people will be comforted to know that this little problem has been sorted in a quick and timely manner.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite Ken. Typical of the Johnson style of government, shift the chairs about like a con man doing the three card trick. The buffoon is working on the principle that a moving target is hard to hit, taking shelter behind Brenda, Andrew, no doubt Chuck in days to come and of course Ukraine. He's hoping we'll forget Partygate and of course he is right, the majority of the public will already be focussing on other things. Rees Mogg is just one example of the distraction techniques that are being used to run the country at the moment.
But I have news for Johnson, “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.” (Abe Lincoln.)
Sooner or later there will be a reckoning......
HERE'S another example. Priti Patel appoints the man who ran Australia's 'inhumane' immigration policy as her adviser on our migrant problem.... So that's sorted that one then.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 04:55 But I have news for Johnson, “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.” (Abe Lincoln.)
Interestingly, the Americans probably got the phrase from the French: LINK

`Labour and Lib Dems in informal ‘non-aggression’ pact before next UK election' FT
`Labour will fight only a minimal campaign in most of the Liberal Democrat party’s top 30 target seats at the UK’s next general election, in an informal Lib-Lab plan to topple the Conservatives. Sir Keir Starmer, Labour leader, has told colleagues that his party must “ruthlessly focus” resources on its target seats in the vote — which must be held by 2024 — leaving the Lib Dems as the main challengers in some seats. Starmer’s allies say that none of Labour’s top target seats features on the Lib Dems’ list of top 30 target seats. “If both parties put resources into where they are most likely to win, you end up with more Labour seats and more Lib Dem seats,” said one.'...
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I think we have to accept that the Labour party will not gain a parliamentary majority by themselves. Contesting all seats will split the overall vote and allow the Tories back in. Although it may go stick in the craw if people really want the Tories out they are going to have to vote for the non-Tory candidate who would beat them. Even a coalition is better than the fascist leaning government we have at the moment.

Buffoon Johnson. Liz Truss and the defence minister are all talking up the war in the Ukraine. If a war is so imminent surely they should recall parliament and let the country know what is going on. Mushroom management?
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 10:37 Mushroom management?
Yes indeed.

As Sun Tzu said in his "Art of War" when you think a country is in imminent danger of invasion - immediately send your Defence Minister to the capital of that country."

As long as it doesn't disrupt my daily fix of blitz chess from Moscow, I'm trying to not let it bother me. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 10:49 As long as it doesn't disrupt my daily fix of blitz chess from Moscow, I'm trying to not let it bother me.
It must be contagious. I'm just getting used to the different styles of play. Now trying to figure out who is related to who.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good - nice to know someone else finds it interesting. I prefer looking at the actual board.

Pinkamena (8) and Fatality (14) are sisters - their mum, often present, is the vice President, and their dad, not often about, I think is the President. It is suspected that one of the men is their uncle. I like the atmosphere the politeness, the mixed age group, the noise of the coffee machine, the bar - and of course the chess skill. The whole place reminds me of a Labour club I used to go to in Wigan. :smile:

Fatality and Pinkamena

Burger King really is a Grand Master. Got a bit of a chequered past though. His name is Igor Naumkin
Last edited by Tripps on 18 Feb 2022, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have I missed something? Is there an election imminent? :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I must admit that chess is getting more interesting than politics. The problem with chess is its like many other games its a young mans sport. More golden oldies are suffering heart attack's trying to keep up with them in some of the competitions.

People will have heard that Kent is suffering from the odd queue of lorries. Most of this has been put down to delays at the customs border. You will be pleased to hear that according to the Kent Conservative MPs there are no problems associated with Brexit. The problems are down to other causes like not getting through customs. But these problems that don't really exist have resulted in a Brexit benefit in creating more jobs to deal with the problem that doesn't exist. To make sure that the lorries queuing up don't become a nuisance for normal road users there is to be more lorry parks so that they can wait in comfort until the Brexit benefit jobs come on stream. I hope you're keeping up. Of course nobody would like delays since they cause costs to rise which are then passed on to customer. To avoid this the mandatory customs checks will be postponed creating another Brexit benefit by not creating the jobs identified in the first Brexit Benefit. Welcome to Alice in Brexit Land.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”