POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

I think Peter Hebblethwaite must be q1uaking in his boots after receiving a letter from Mr Shapps 'instructing' him to re-think the sacking of the 800 maritime staff.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS report on BBC news from Laura Kuenssberg on what she believes is the imminent issue of perhaps as many as 20 fines for law-breaking in the Partygate investigation. It's hard to see how Johnson can escape being one of the chosen ones. If he is, what then? If he isn't what does it say about the fairness of the investigation. I don't see how anyone could dare attempt a cover-up for the senior figures.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They said on the news this morning that the twenty was the first batch, there are more to follow.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS BBC politics editorial by John Grace is worth a read I think. He sums up the position quite accurately in the title; 'Prime suspect PM takes Partygate delusion to hallucinatory new levels'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Last week Putin was demanding that the EU pay in roubles for Russian gas. Now it's reached a stand-off - Russia desperately needs roubles to avoid economic collapse but the EU desperately needs gas...
`EU and Russia in stand-off over rouble payments for gas: Failure to revise supply contracts could halt the flow of fuel to Europe' FT
`Europe and Russia are locked in a stand-off over Moscow insisting that its gas is paid for in roubles, raising the prospect of a halt in supplies as the Kremlin doubles down on its demands. Russian officials said on Tuesday that Moscow would not “supply gas for free” to Europe, a day after G7 countries unanimously rejected President Vladimir Putin’s directive. “Payments will be accepted in roubles only,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov was quoted as saying by Russian state news agency Interfax. “Companies need to understand the changed market situation, the absolutely new reality that has emerged amid the economic war waged on Russia.” European leaders have said that payments must continue in euros or dollars, questioning the legality of Putin’s proposed move in the gas industry where long-term contracts reign supreme.....The EU is currently buying 300mn cubic metres of Russian pipeline gas a day. ICIS estimates that Gazprom earned about $340mn per day from gas sales between the start of the war and March 15.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No, this can't be true be3causew that nice Mr Eustice said that as we don't buy gas from Russia we won't be affected.... So there!.
See THIS for Laura Kuenssberg's take on Partygate. Will wining and dining his backbenchers get them back onside? Who pays for it?
It's a different world down there in the Westminster Village.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

When is a crime not a crime.
Answer. When the law is broken by a Downing St Official.
Dominic Raab, our Justice Secretary is under the opinion that breaking the law constitute a crime. Our Buffoon thinks otherwise but won't declare his opinion while investigations are underway. Why continued investigations have anything to do with what has been already decided escapes me. Then we hear..
Individuals who are issued with fixed-penalty notices are not deemed to have broken the law until the fines are paid. Some may seek to appeal against the penalties, although there is no formal mechanism for doing so.

We now have the convoluted logic that if you are fined for breaking the law and don't pay the fine you are deemed innocent of that crime but can be put in prison for not paying the fine for the crime you refused to pay the fine for. Under this logic our Buffoon could be right that as long as all those given a fine end up in prison no crime has been committed.

Welcome to the world of spin.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

From a BBC article: Jeremy Fleming, the head of the UK's cyber-intelligence agency GCHQ, said the move added to indications Russia had "massively misjudged the situation" and had been forced to "significantly rethink". We've seen Russian soldiers - short of weapons and morale - refusing to carry out orders, sabotaging their own equipment and even accidentally shooting down their own aircraft," Mr Fleming said in a speech to the Australian National University in Canberra. And even though Putin's advisers are afraid to tell him the truth, what's going on and the extent of these misjudgements must be crystal clear to the regime."

What he didn't mention is that a Russian Lieutenant-Colonel has been deliberately run over by one of their own tanks because the troops were so angry with the lies they'd been told.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think just a touch of scepticism is perhaps advisable here.

Just because the head of GCHQ (an organisation who's very existence used to be denied ) says this in a public lecture in Australia, we don't have to accept it. These matters are not verifiable, and reveal the level of penetration of Russian communications by the British - something that would be better not discussed and certainly not revealed.

On a par with the 'story' of the gallant defenders of the island who told the Russian what to do with themselves then were all killed. Great news story at the time, but later they reappeared still alive. So we are told.

Just because it's reported on the BBC . . . . .

PS.
This is even dafter - from The Star. Killer bees Swarm of killer bees in the snow - no wonder they're hungry. The clue is the word 'reportedly' - that means probably nonsense.

PPS - It's not April Fools Day until tomorrow. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Looks as if The Guardian shares my scepticism at this propaganda. Guardian :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 12:20 Looks as if The Guardian shares my scepticism at this propaganda. Guardian
I totally ignore anything that sounds as though it comes from Mystic Meg. Journalists reporting with absolute confidence what people are thinking or why advisors are keeping things to themselves and not saying anything to Putin but apparently prepared to tell all and sundry they they are telling Putin lies. And just for good measure declaring their next military plan so as not to surprise anyone.

The one thing we can believe is that people defending their own country (Ukraine) will fight with greater tenacity than the invaders who at the end of the day will be handing over the spoils of their suffering to some faceless oligarch.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

You do right. . . . :smile:

Spin is all around - and on all sides. I think we have reached the stage where I doubt virtually everything I read in the press. Can't help feeling a bit sorry for the killer bees in the snow though.

Jeremy Paxman's maxim was "Now - why are you b*****'s lying to me.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I share your scepticism, both of you. We are in mushroom farm country so ignore everything that i9s said/
As for Johnson and Partygate whatever happens he will not stand down, he'll just bluster and harrumph until the next juicy bit of news erases the folk memory. The only thing that can shift him is if the electorate wakes up. Anyone care for a bet?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The hospitality industry had their VAT status returned to the pre-covid value. They will now pay 20% rather than the reduced 12.5%. another turn of the screw on the cost of living. Tim Martin of Wetherspoons will be spitting feathers.

Partygate or more accurately Gatheringgate. The covid restrictions limited the number of people in 'gatherings' nothing to do with parties. The photo of Carrie Johnson in the No10 garden clearly shows her breaking the 'gathering rules. Even if by some stretch of the imagination the remainder of the group may have been talking business even this could have been conducted in a safer environment. Having said that Carrie Johnson who has no government business must have broken the rules by just being there.
The fines are reported to have been sent out by e-mail but Downing Street sources have told Sky News Boris Johnson is not among them. Of course if nobody tells Johnson he will plead he is unaware of any fines and carry on in cloud cuckoo land with one rule for him and another for the rest of us.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He's not going to admit to anything.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This video from Jeremy Bowen in Ukraine shows the deaths and devastation caused by the Russians but also how much wreckage there is of their military vehicles. The hand-held anti-tank weapons, some sent by the UK, are very effective and it's not surprising that there are reports of Russian crews abandoning their tanks rather than continuing into action. Bowen video

I see that the UK is now going to send anti-ship missiles to Ukraine to give some protection against the Russian warships that have been raining missiles on the coastal cities.

The EU and Nato are said to be now working together more closely than in the past and planning for a more integrated defence of western Europe. There's a touch of irony in this. For the last ten years or so the EU has been discussing establishing its own army as a defensive force - and this was one of the main reasons the Brexiteers said the UK must leave the EU....
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Modern warfare is a terrible thing. Fixed gun emplacements against mobile tanks were always on a loser. Now tanks against even more mobile man-carried missiles have turned the tables again. In short there is no winner both sides are losers. Every person killed or maimed is someone's family whether they are Ukrainian or Russian. How to put a stop to this carnage should be every governments priority.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

From your mouth to God's ear Ken. However, think about the manufacturers of the weapons, laughing all the way to the bank? Not everyone will benefit from a cessation of hostilities.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 11:45 Every person killed or maimed is someone's family whether they are Ukrainian or Russian. How to put a stop to this carnage should be every governments priority.
I agree, Plaques. Many humans seem to be hell bent on inflicting cruelty and death on their own species. I wish they'd all get out and start a harmless hobby instead!

Meanwhile, in America...as Tripps would say, is there a German word for schadenfreude?... :thumbsup5:
`Trump's Truth Social app branded a disaster' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Peter! No more than he deserves.... (Perhaps there is a God!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Breaking news from Rees Mogg that Johnson was given ;the wrong information' about gatherings at 10 Downing Street so he hadn't misled Parliament.
Surprise surprise, he isn't guilty and doesn't need to resign. Phew! So now we can get on with business as usual......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

An article by the BBC's Reality Check team shows the errors in Russia's claims that the killings of civilians in Bucha are false. Russia's attempts at a cover up are naive but they know there's a lot of gullible people out there...
`Fact-checking Russian claims about Bucha killings' LINK
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

They have 'form'. I was vaguely aware of the Katyn massacre. I looked it up and find that over 20,000 Polish Officers and Intellectuals were massacred by The Russians in the Katyn forest during WW11. Not just taken into the woods and shot, (as I'd assumed) but interviewed then selected to be executed individually by a bullet in the back of the head,in a sound proof room. It took weeks.

20,000 !!!
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is no limit to human cruelty David, Ukraine is no different. Don't be surprised by anything.
See THIS for a BBC report that Quasi Kwarteng is asking for a review of the fracking ban. Surprise surprise. Expect licensing of Scottish oil and gas fields shortly.
Is Sunak really on holiday in California? Shows utter contempt for poor people if that is the case. It's disgraceful.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 03:10 See THIS for a BBC report that Quasi Kwarteng is asking for a review of the fracking ban. Surprise surprise. Expect licensing of Scottish oil and gas fields shortly.
I have read that the review on fracking will be a 'desktop' review using data that is available. They also say they will not change their minds unless there is some compelling evidence to do so. The problem is that the effect on ground disturbance (Tremors or earthquakes) is largely an unknown factor but we do know that the Blackpool area there has suffered some unexplained tremors since fracking started. The government in one breath is saying that this (fracking) is a long term venture with little or no financial benefit over five years and in the next its to reduce our dependence on Russian gas which of course is of immediate concern. The question must be asked that if there is no immediate short term gain to protected against global energy prices why are we going down this road. It looks more like buttering the Americans up for a favourable trade deal to cover for our disastrous Brexit gambit.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”