WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tizer »

...and this news story is genuine!
`Penny Lane signs defaced in Liverpool over slavery claims' LINK

A warning. Police say thieves and burglars are back with a vengeance after having been deprived of their opportunities for months. No, I'm not joking. An example is our gardener who had his new van broken into last night, all his tools stolen (and he had good quality ones) and even the petrol taken. He lives nearby and this is a quiet area, usually with little crime. Batten down the hatches!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

How about James Penny the mathematician and physicist who work on the first atomic bomb. Manhattan Project. Nothing to do with Penny lane. Are we sliding into McCarthyism were everybody associated with a particular theme whether true or false are considered guilty without viewing the overall picture?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 15:31 ...and this news story is genuine!
`Penny Lane signs defaced in Liverpool over slavery claims' LINK
World's gone stark raving mad...

Am I allowed to say that without upsetting any stark raving mad people?

Sir Isaac Newton apparently had links to the slave trade, not sure what they're going to do about that one. Gravity is a bit of a necessity really :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My dad once told me that when roads were built in Australia c.1910, all the available Aborigines were arrested and allowed to bring their wives and children with them and they were used as forced labour.
You're right, once we start where do we stop? Better to put the effort into concerted efforts to stop discrimination by way of the ballot box.
Visit by Susan and Mick with fish and chips.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, news just announced that the episode of Fawlty Towers is to be reinstated with 'audience guidance'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The awed silence as we watched the flames rising from the table as I applied Susan's waterstain remedy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I was glad to see this headline today. Hopefully it will put an end to the silly idea that you can simply decide to be a different sex to that which your body is biologically. If someone wants to pretend or dress up as a different sex then let them do so but they can't expect to have the rights of any sex other than the one of their body.
`PM scraps plan to make gender change easier: women-only facilities will be protected' LINK
`Plans to allow people to change their legal gender by `self-identifying' as a different sex have been scrapped in a move that will fuel the culture war gripping Britain. Ministers and Boris Johnson’s team in No 10 have ditched plans developed under Theresa May’s government to allow transgender people to change their birth certificates without a medical diagnosis...'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't hold your breath Tiz, they'll still get their knickers in a twist. Funny old world we live in...

Laura's pic of sunset over the camp in the Pilbara. She says she has an hour's drive to her place of work each day, the daytime temperature is in the mid twenties and single figures at night. What a learning curve for a young woman!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've sent this pic, done this morning, of the avenue of trees on the Town Green as a complete contrast to the Pilbara.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wow, that’s lovely 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

For folk that don't know, you wouldn't believe that Stanley's picture shows the former railway shunting and coal yard. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 09:04 I was glad to see this headline today. Hopefully it will put an end to the silly idea that you can simply decide to be a different sex to that which your body is biologically. If someone wants to pretend or dress up as a different sex then let them do so but they can't expect to have the rights of any sex other than the one of their body.
`PM scraps plan to make gender change easier: women-only facilities will be protected' LINK
`Plans to allow people to change their legal gender by `self-identifying' as a different sex have been scrapped in a move that will fuel the culture war gripping Britain. Ministers and Boris Johnson’s team in No 10 have ditched plans developed under Theresa May’s government to allow transgender people to change their birth certificates without a medical diagnosis...'.
A sensible decision.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I don't know which company Laura works for but is she affected by this issue?
`BHP to destroy at least 40 Aboriginal sites, up to 15,000 years old, to expand Pilbara mine' LINK
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 09:22 I don't know which company Laura works for but is she affected by this issue?
`BHP to destroy at least 40 Aboriginal sites, up to 15,000 years old, to expand Pilbara mine' LINK
I read that too but didn't like to ask :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'll take the risk, Kev, I live further away! :extrawink:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, I'd seen that but archaeology and aboriginal items have already been getting trashed by various mines in Australia and it's just been another example of an attempt to do the same. It's mining for iron, coal, uranium etc.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Tizer...you must understand that people can be born with very ambiguous and rudimentary sex organs...I think it only right that they get to choose who/what they want to be.
It’s not dressing up or pretending.
We only get one life...everyone deserves a happy one.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed Maz, I have two relatives who have undergone gender reassignment because they both felt they had been born in the wrong bodies. They both had tortured teenage and young adult years. I have to say that TJ is a much better bloke than his former Tracy. Like wise Jenny is much happier in herself mentally now than as her former self as Tim.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:good:
( we shouldn’t have to live life as a miserable lie just to please others)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 10:01 Tizer...you must understand that people can be born with very ambiguous and rudimentary sex organs...I think it only right that they get to choose who/what they want to be.
It’s not dressing up or pretending.
We only get one life...everyone deserves a happy one.
Whatever anomalies your physical and mental body has, surely the chromosomes are the unequivocable proof of the pudding?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ah...but then you can get some very masculine women and some very feminine men, China, ( most of whom may eventually function well in their gender)
I really don’t think it matters. It is what the heart/brain/body identifies with and is ultimately attracted to. This is not a new thing either. ( you cannot make a child male by painting a bedroom blue and handing them toy cars...neither can you make a child female by painting a room pink and handing them dolls)
They will tell you who they are.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I think a few of you may have missed the point, I don't think anyone is disputing the 'gender reassignment' thing.
The article states 'Ministers and Boris Johnson’s team in No 10 have ditched plans developed under Theresa May’s government to allow transgender people to change their birth certificates without a medical diagnosis'.
Surely it's been scrapped to stop 'men in frocks frequenting the ladies' toilets' and vice versa.
The definition of transgender is denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.
There's a distinct difference between a 'sense of personal identity and gender' and having been physically reassigned hence the need for a medical diagnosis to change your birth certificate.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

chinatyke wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 10:53 Whatever anomalies your physical and mental body has, surely the chromosomes are the unequivocable proof of the pudding?
Right. X and Y chromosomes determine your sex, no matter what you look like or feel like. I don't care what gender people wish to be but they can't choose their sex, it's pre-determined. Gender is to do with social and cultural differences, sex is biological.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A person, with cells that have 46 XY chromosomes and 46 XX chromosomes, would be an ideal candidate for gender reassignment and a potential birth certificate change...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”