POLITICS CORNER

plaques
Donor

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by plaques »

I listened to a Youtube comment on alcohol duty. all the duty except on the lowest % had increased but somehow this was projected as a saving,
BECAUSE...wait for it...

They were thinking of raising it further so the difference between what it could have been and what it finished up as was a saving to the customer.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Being arithmetically literate is a bit of a mixed blessing these days. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a bit like seeing a reduction in the sales as a saving so you can go out and spend that money and stay within budget. Just the sort of incoherence I was talking about yesterday.
THIS is the latest example of incoherence from this useless, indeed dangerous, government. Political pragmatism is one thing but blind stupidity is another.
Surely we have seen enough now to know that you can't be a bit 'green', you either are or you aren't.
A new stock phrase is being deployed by Rishi Sunak when talking about his government's efforts to curb planet-warming carbon emissions. Net zero will be met, the prime minister has said, in "a proportionate and pragmatic way". This has become his mantra on the 2050 target since his party's unexpected win in a by-election last month, when the Conservatives capitalised on a backlash against the contentious expansion of London's clean-air zone. Lagging behind Labour in the polls, the Tories have backed motorists frustrated by green policies, and approved the licensing of more drilling for oil and gas in the North Sea. Environmental campaigners are horrified, and some green-minded Tory MPs aren't too happy either. But Conservatives and other political parties who view net zero through a sceptical lens are pleased Mr Sunak has changed his tone.
THIS Protest in North Yorkshire was very timely. Sunak is on holiday in the sun in the US.
When asked about the incident, Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden said he thought the British people were "sick of these stupid stunts".
Not all of us Oliver. I think that it was apposite and quite brilliant. Specifically targetted and straight to the point.
Just a thought, how were they able to walk in with all that equipment and accomplish their task?
See THIS breaking news for more proof of the insanity of Sunak's policies.
The oceans have hit their hottest ever recorded temperature as they soak up warmth from climate change, with dire implications for our planet's health. The average daily global sea surface temperature beat a 2016 record this week, according to the EU's climate change service Copernicus. It reached 20.96C. That's far above the average for this time of year. Oceans are a vital climate regulator. They soak up heat, produce half Earth's oxygen and drive weather patterns. Warmer waters have less ability to absorb carbon dioxide, meaning more of that planet-warming gas will stay in the atmosphere. And it can also accelerate the melting of glaciers that flow into the ocean, leading to more sea level rise. Hotter oceans and heatwaves disturb marine species like fish and whales as they move in search of cooler waters, upsetting the food chain. Experts warn that fish stocks could be affected.
Will this evidence have any effect on policy? Your guess is as good as mine.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for another example of this government's shameful treatment of those who helped us in Afghanistan or turned to us for help.
Afghan families given refuge by the UK are facing homelessness after being told by the government to move out of hotels, councils have told the BBC. The families, many of whom worked for the British government, came to the UK after the Taliban takeover in 2021. Thousands are still living in temporary government-funded hotel accommodation - but are now beginning to be moved out. Cabinet Office Minister Johnny Mercer has said he will have failed if any of them end up living on the streets. "That has not happened. And that is not going to happen," he told the BBC. However, those that can not find permanent homes will be classed as homeless and the responsibility of local councils.
Can't we get anything right?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PM Rishi Sunak goes on holiday leaving his private house empty. All this well documented in advance in the media. Stop the Oil take advantage of the situation and cover the the outside of the house in black plastic. Wall to wall media coverage on these vandals that aught to be put in gaol if not declared a terrorist organisation. Then we think 'hang on' even less wealthy people will have house sitters to protect their property and look after their gold fish.
Being a fully paid up member of the conspiracy society the whole episode looks like a sympathy set up.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 03:56 See THIS for another example of this government's shameful treatment of those who helped us in Afghanistan or turned to us for help.
Afghan families given refuge by the UK are facing homelessness after being told by the government to move out of hotels, councils have told the BBC. The families, many of whom worked for the British government, came to the UK after the Taliban takeover in 2021. Thousands are still living in temporary government-funded hotel accommodation - but are now beginning to be moved out. Cabinet Office Minister Johnny Mercer has said he will have failed if any of them end up living on the streets. "That has not happened. And that is not going to happen," he told the BBC. However, those that can not find permanent homes will be classed as homeless and the responsibility of local councils.
Can't we get anything right?
Yes and we don't allow any of them to work to earn a living to help them lift themselves out of the trap. Disgusting really, I saw one of those affected last night on the Yorkshire local news and he spoke better English and had better manners than lots of the indigenous population I have met in my lifetime. Perfectly willing to hold down a job if he was allowed.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dead right Ian and people like the hospitality industry are crying out for help! Instead of a simple and effective solution like that we treat them like lepers and then throw them out on the street. Made worse of course by the fact that local council subsidies have been cut.
In the mean time the millionaires go on holiday....
See THIS for one piece of sensible news....
A controversial rule which saw living costs deducted from compensation paid to wrongly imprisoned people has been scrapped. The government announced the change on Sunday after the case of Andrew Malkinson, who spent 17 years in jail for a rape he did not commit, prompted calls for it to be overhauled. He welcomed the move but said he still faces a two-year wait for his payment. MPs said individuals whose payments were reduced should now be reimbursed.
That aside, there is no political news today, all the politicians are on holiday just as though everything is fine and dandy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"Julie Green was robbed of her electoral win as councillor for the Lancashire town of Nelson in May when the name of Labour’s Patricia Hannah-Wood was mistakenly read out by officials following the count.

Now a High Court judge has decided that Mrs Green was duly elected and has ordered the council to repay the costs, which are estimated to be around £50,000."
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

All candidates standing for election are shown the spoilt papers at the count to see if any extra votes can be claimed. The final results and numbers are then shown to all candidates before the declaration by the returning officer. Mrs Green wasn't "robbed" by Patricia Hannah Wood it was clearly an error made by the returning officer. I do know that Patricia was astonished by the result declared and did point out the error after the declaration. Unfortunately it is official at that point and has to be sorted out legally.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS seems to be the only political news this morning. Does this mean that there is nothing that needs doing urgently or just that politicians don't care any more.
Why am I reminded of the Marie Celeste when the image of the Ship of State comes to mind.....

I saw this cartoon and laughed. Then I heard the news that the Home Office plans to fly asylum seekers to Ascension Island if the Rwanda plan fails...... Don't rule anything out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Oliver Dowden our deputy PM said we should stop talking about the asylum barges then almost immediately Suella Braverman accuses Kier Starmer and his lefty lawyers of sabotaging her asylum plans. Robert Jenrick UK Minister for Immigration jumps on the band wagon and supposedly names the lefty lawyer although commentators have scoured the papers nobody can find this mystery person. Jenrick refuses to name who it is possibly because the Law as it stands can be challenged as being illegal. Finally a big publicity splash there are to be 50 people moved onto the barge which leaves just 450 to go.

Just when Rishi Sunak is enjoying his holiday in America Steve Barclay Secretary of State for Health and Social Care UK suggests that using privatised services could reduce the NHS waiting list. What a coincidence that something like this should happen.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you're right to flag up the references to the use of private providers in the Health Service Ken. We are being slowly acclimatised to private providers, it's been going on for many years but seems to me to be accelerating.
As for the Newport Barge.... See THIS BBC report. I have only seen men mentioned as 'guests' but unless memory has completely failed me that's a woman on the walk way.
The first small group of asylum seekers has boarded the controversial Bibby Stockholm housing barge after a series of delays over safety concerns. Up to 500 men will eventually live on the vessel in Dorset while they await the outcome of asylum applications. Some human rights groups have called the scheme "inhumane", but ministers insist it is safe and will save money. The Home Office said 15 people had successfully got on to the vessel, but a group of about 20 refused to board. Asked about the refusal, the department's director for asylum accommodation Cheryl Avery said she could not go into details "of the legal proceedings for each individual". "But we are continuing to bring people on board... later this week and then over the coming weeks as well," she added.
I know I am a cynical old bugger when it comes to statements emanating from this government but this sounds to me like the spin department putting a brave face on what looks like a calamitous situation.
I have a question about access. Is this the way over 500 people would be evacuated in case of fire? It looks to me to be questionable.
Read THIS account of what one mother is suffering because of the breakdown of care services for her son.
Families of people with complex medical needs are warning the NHS system that funds their care at home is struggling to provide sufficient support. Despite recent significant increases in spending on Continuing Healthcare, experts say staff shortages and rising prices mean families are lacking help. Some say at times they are so exhausted from providing care, they worry about the safety of their relatives. The government says it has invested billions into health and social care. We've followed 24-year-old Declan Spencer for 10 months, witnessing how the repeated breakdown of his care has left his mother having to provide it by herself, day and night.
The report goes on to illustrate what this can mean in practice.
Already living with the realisation of Declan's declining health, finding support has added pressure and stress, with Alex standing in when no-one is available. She has given up one of her jobs and had a mental health breakdown. On one occasion she remained awake for 60 hours caring for Declan and monitoring his equipment.
When taxed with examples like this we are treated to statements like "We are investing £Xmillion in social care" which totally ignores the human cost of these policies of austerity funding that lead to situations like this.
Meanwhile we spend billions on vanity projects like HS2 which don't even have a clear economic case.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The asylum backlog is one of our own making. The Commons select committee say the backlog is growing not because there are more people arriving but because the asylum process has slowed down.

Of those who arrived in small boats in 2021, 96% are still awaiting a decision.

Asylum.jpg
Note Albanians are 20,000 of the total
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Ken, the Home Office has made a rod for its own back by reducing staff allocated to processing the asylum seekers. Then it compounds the problem by not allowing them to work and fend for themselves.
See THIS for what seems like the go-ahead for 'Dog Whistle Politics'
A cabinet minister will face no action by police over a leaflet which asked voters if they wanted a Gypsy and traveller site near them. Welsh Secretary David TC Davies had been accused of creating a "hostile environment for Gypsies and travellers". The leaflet raised concerns about plans for a site in his Monmouth constituency. The Conservative MP said he made "no apologies" for raising the issue.
I see it as racism and it comes as no surprise. Look at other countries where the demonisation and persecution of minorities was made official policy. Yes, that's right, I have the rise of the fascist Third Reich in mind in inter-war Germany.
See THIS for something that puzzles me.
The UK's elections watchdog has revealed it has been the victim of a "complex cyber-attack" potentially affecting millions of voters. The Electoral Commission said unspecified "hostile actors" had managed to gain access to copies of the electoral registers, from August 2021. Hackers also broke into its emails and "control systems" but the attack was not discovered until October last year. The watchdog has warned people to watch out for unauthorised use of their data.
Why hack into electoral rolls which are public? Or have I missed something. And what's this about knowing 'last October'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Rishi Sunak promised to reduce the asylum backlog, the number of people waiting for their case to be reviewed. This backlog has now morphed into 'Residual backlog or Historical backlog. Adjusted downwards by removing people who didn't attend their interview on time or fill in the 'fast track'' questionnaire in a timely manner. Meanwhile the total current backlog continues to rise.

The rogue lefty lawyers who give advise to asylum seekers have been targeted for gaol sentences. I wonder if this includes lawyers who give advice on tax returns or driving offences.

The illegal immigration bill is working providing the weather remains stormy and not fit to travel in rubber boats.

Ascension Isle is now an alternative for hiding the asylum seekers but first you will need a visa and to provide evidence of a return ticket, or funds for a return ticket, medical insurance, adequate accommodation and sufficient funds for your stay. If you wish to stay for longer than 183 days you should apply to the St Helena Immigration Control Board. Flying may be expensive £610 one way. Biddy Stockholm may be welcome if they can find an anchoring space.

Why do I think this is just more hot air rhetoric?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Why do I think this is just more hot air rhetoric?"
I think that, as usual, you have hit the nail on the head. Everything Braverman and Sunak do about the boat pledge is hot air and expensive hot air at that. If they can't get the backlog number down why not give applicants the choice of giving up government support if they can get a job? We need the labour and they need the money.
You make a good point about lawyers who advise on motoring offences and 'tax efficient' strategies....
THIS is tucked away on the BBC website but is possibly the most significant piece of news that emerged yesterday....
The spending power of workers in some parts of the UK will still be below the level it was before the pandemic by the end of 2024, a think tank has warned. Pay, after accounting for rising prices, is set to fall between 2019 and 2024 in regions like the West Midlands and East of England, said Niesr. By contrast, it said London and parts of the South were "steaming ahead". The Treasury said the UK economy had "proven resilient... heading off predictions of a recession this year". Over the last few years inflation - the rate at which prices rise - has soared, driving up the cost of living for millions. Wages have also climbed, but not as fast as prices, leaving households across the UK feeling squeezed. The National Institute for Economic and Social Research (Niesr), which is one of the UK's oldest economic forecasting bodies, said that Brexit, Covid and the Ukraine war had badly affected the economy, resulting in five years of "lost" growth. It added that the surging cost of living meant people's spending power in some parts of the UK would still not be back to 2019 levels by late next year.
How does that square with Sunak's 'pledges' on the economy?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

While the head chicken is on holiday in America the remaining Cabinet chickens are running around making policy as though they were writing the next Conservative manifesto. 30p Lee is leading the field with his disgusting outburst on asylum seekers. By any measure these locker room comments should be met with robust action and not condoned by other senior Conservatives. Suella Braverman continues with extreme policies that are clearly breaking the law. Someone should explain to her that stopping the odd rubber boat does nothing towards bringing food prices down but adds to the public purse by wasting money on populist xenophobic propaganda. Robert Jenrick is also making his threats that if you don't do as you're told we will make life even more miserable. What sort of government have we got? People voted for improvement only to find that they can't afford the basics of life and that everywhere they look from NHS, wages, cost of food, inflation is making their lives worse.

Safe if their hands is now a sick joke.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"What sort of government have we got? "
I think that's becoming pretty clear by now even to die-hard Tories!
See THIS for an example of how out of touch they are.
Rishi Sunak needs to make the UK more self-sufficient and less reliant on imported food, the National Farmers Union (NFU) has said. Climate change and the war in Ukraine have made global food imports vulnerable, the union argues. The Government has said the UK is 61% self-sufficient in all foods. NFU President Minette Batters has called on the prime minister to ensure this does not drop.
What Sunak and his Cabinet seem to have failed to recognise is that the figure of 40% imported food was perhaps just OK with the global climate conditions that applied before this century of change but are now hopelessly optimistic. We are already seeing shortages reflected in the gaps in the shelves in supermarkets and these will get worse. We have yet to see what the effects of underpayments to farmers will have when harvest season is upon us starting next month.
See THIS for reinforcement of what Ken said about our Home Secretary....
Those responsible for the disorder seen in London's Oxford Street area should be "hunted down and locked up", Home Secretary Suella Braverman has said. "We cannot allow the kind of lawlessness seen in some American cities to come to the streets of the UK," Mrs Braverman said on X. On Wednesday, baton-wielding police clashed with dozens of people while officers on horseback dispersed crowds. The Metropolitan Police said nine arrests were made.
She makes policy statement in tweets (or are they now Xs) and cites the worst examples she can find.
'Hunt them down' is inflammatory language by any reasonable standard.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of the main news of the day, another blow to Sunak's 'Stop the Boats' policies as Legionella is discovered in the water supply on the Newport barge and all 39 asylum seekers are taken off.
Actually the main news of the day as it affects the ordinary voter was the news that the economy is still flat-lining and is expected by some experts to do so until 1926. Various spokes persons have tried to convince us that we are doing quite well compared to others in Europe but that's no good to us! Sunak and Hunt promised an improvement, that they would 'grow the economy'. It doesn't seem to be happening.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is no politics this morning and I am very conscious that Ken was rushed into hospital after posting the above.....I hope we get him back soon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Your wish has been granted - he's posted in the Medical Matters thread.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm off over there Peter. Thanks!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the absence of any 'normal' Parliamentary business the main item of news is THIS. the latest news of the catastrophic mishandling of the migrants crossing the Channel.
Ministers are facing renewed pressure to tackle boat crossings in the Channel after six migrants died when a vessel sank off the French coast on Saturday. Labour said people smugglers were "running rings" around the government, and a Tory backbencher said the UK had a "moral duty, both to our own citizens and... asylum seekers, to act". The government has made "stopping the boats" one of its five priorities. Investigations continue into the incident which saw 59 people rescued. The overloaded vessel, which got into difficulty and capsized 12 miles (20km) off Sangatte, was said to be one of a number of migrant vessels which set off in the hope of reaching the UK.
Up to now the governments plan to improve this situation seems to be limited to deterrence, the main weapon being the 'hostile environment' threat inside the Home Office and in the new immigration Act. There is absolutely no evidence that this will work and as long as there are asylum seekers with money to pay the people smugglers we must assume they will keep coming.
If we accept this is the case it seems obvious we should be pursuing other alternatives. Why don't we have processing centres in mainland Europe to decide whether or not the asylum seekers have a case? For those that have a case why don't we cut out the smugglers by providing safe transport routes ourselves across the channel, they are going to come anyway. I know that suggestions like this will provoke howls of protest but look at the cost, both financial and in lives of the current policies. A cost-benefit analysis could be enlightening.
Meanwhile as Sunak suns himself in the States the economy flat-lines and his other pledges are all failing.
It shows how ridiculous things are getting in our Zombie Parliament that the criticisms are coming from the Tory backbenchers as well as the 'Lefties'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS. Once more the leading headline in the political news is of more reasons to be ashamed of the way our country is being run.
Many Afghan refugees have been "let down" by the UK, with some living in hotels for up to two years and now facing eviction, a think tank has said. More in Common said lessons needed to be learned so future refugees were better supported. It comes on the anniversary of the UK's evacuation programme and the fall of Kabul to the Taliban on 15 August 2021. Minister Johnny Mercer admitted there had been "challenges" but said he was determined to make Afghan schemes work. Operation Pitting saw the UK airlift around 15,000 people out of Kabul - including British nationals, as well as people who worked with the UK in Afghanistan and their family members. Those who had nowhere to live were placed in government-funded hotels. This was supposed to be temporary accommodation but by the end of March, there were still around 8,800 Afghans living in hotels. The government has imposed a deadline of the end of August for Afghans to be moved out of hotels, but councils have warned some are facing homelessness as they cannot find anywhere else to live. More In Common, an organisation founded in the wake of the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox, surveyed 132 Afghans in the UK. It was told of failures in communication with local authorities and the Home Office on housing, rental applications being repeatedly rejected, and unsuitable homes being offered, sometimes hundreds of miles away. One example saw a refugee living in temporary accommodation in Bristol, where they had family, offered permanent housing in Northern Ireland. Mr Mercer acknowledged some people had been left behind after the Taliban takeover and had still not been brought to safety.
No wonder we are getting reports of Afghans saying that they wish they had never helped the British.
This is a shameful state of affairs..... it's not just bad management but callous disregard for the plight of people we promised help and support to. Afghans are amongst the boat people in the channel and even if they get here are going to be refused asylum under the Immigration Act.
Meanwhile, in another part of the forest.... Breaking news.
Former US President Donald Trump has been charged with attempting to overturn his 2020 election loss in the state of Georgia. He and 18 others have been indicted on counts that include racketeering in a 41-charge document issued by a Fulton County grand jury. The indictment marks the fourth time Mr Trump has been criminally charged this year. He has denied the accusations in all cases.
I have refrained from commenting on the continuing farce that is the US 2024 Election Campaign but this latest news can't be ignored. This man is still the leading Republican contender for election to the White House. We are tod that even if he is gaoled he can still be elected. I think that our political system is broken but we can't match this for political madness.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In a week full of knotty political problems surfacing daily, our government is on holiday and THIS is at the top of the political news....
Councils are frequently failing to use their powers to tackle anti-social behaviour, a watchdog has found. The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman cited cases including a victim being told a neighbour's 13-hour long party did not warrant action. The watchdog said it upheld three-quarters of the cases it had investigated in the past year and found fault in how the council had acted. Councils said they took a "balanced and proportionate" approach to complaints. A report published by the ombudsman on Wednesday highlighted issues including long delays responding to complaints, referring people to the police instead of taking action and failing to liaise properly with other agencies. It said out of the 63 cases it had investigated in the last year - ranging from low-level issues such as dog-fouling and inconsiderate parking to more serious harassment and intimidation - 51 were upheld.
We are told that....
"Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has pledged to crack down on anti-social behaviour, setting out an action plan earlier this year. It included increasing the use of hotspot policing, forcing people who vandalise public spaces to repair the damage they cause and extending powers to disperse groups to councils. "
Perhaps he should first address the matter of the savage cuts to Council funding which are affecting even their statutory duties like Child Protection.
Meanwhile, see THIS for what is happening in the real world which can't afford a holiday abroad....
Wages grew at a record annual pace in the April to June period, according to new official figures. Regular pay rose by 7.8%, the highest annual growth rate since comparable records began in 2001. The stronger-than-expected increase has fuelled forecasts the Bank of England will be forced to raise interest rates again to calm inflation. Inflation - which measure the rate at which prices rise - has eased but remains high at 7.9%. Darren Morgan, director of economic statistics at the Office for National Statistics, which released the wage and employment data, said the latest figures suggested real pay growth, which takes into account the rate of inflation, is "recovering". Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said there was "light at the end of the tunnel" for the millions struggling with the cost of living. However, wage growth is not quite outstripping the pace of price rises. Mr Morgan told the BBC's Today programme that real pay growth was "still falling a little", dropping by 0.6%.
And if the 'growth' is compared with food inflation it's nowhere near keeping up.
Another of Sunak's five pledges is biting the dust.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”