WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

plaques
Donor

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by plaques »

MEMBERS of the Yorkshire Regiment will spend the week leading up to Remembrance Day on Sunday, November 8 laying commemorative wreaths in 28 towns including Skipton and Barnoldswick. Remembrance Sunday
Has anything been organised to support these soldiers when the come to Barlick? Obviously it can only be done in a very limited way but its worth doing.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

First I have heard of it Ken. The Yorkshire Regiment of course have the freedom of the town which was given when we added the new names to our War Memorial and had the re-dedication ceremony.

Our remembrance service is online only this year and will be streamed on the Town Councils YouTube channel. They have asked that individuals do not gather at the memorial. We have three wreaths to lay and will do this on the 11th shortly after the 11am 2 minute silence which will be signalled by maroon.

We have just finished our cross distribution in the Cemetery at Gill. I have 12 missing this year from that area. I will write each one up on cross and set them up at the side. Slightly more than last year, a number of headstones have been laid down and many of the inscriptions are getting harder to read. We just have the churchyard to do now, so that will be for tomorrow or Saturday. There will be the missing in that end of the site as well who will still be commemorated the same way.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Finished the Churchyard this afternoon and have a few missing which is the norm as mentioned in my last post. Good news though I have rediscovered the Shires brothers, Herbert and Wilfred both in the West Riding regiment and both lost both in the conflict and later to myself when distributing in former years. I have been writing a cross up for these two lads each year for at least the last four or five years. :smile:

I just have to write my crosses up for those not found this year which will include the two lads who are in the lower, now pretty much overgrown churchyard. I always set these up where folk can see them so they are remembered, not many folk ever venture down to the lower level, they are both commemorated on family plots long since abandoned.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The first pic is amazing!
BBC Week in Pictures: LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was handy wasn't it. I'd seen the image but thought it was an installation.
Well done Ian. now you can have a rest for a year!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

An appropriate story for today. Some of the photos remind me of those of my father when he was in the RAF, especially those `side caps' - he wore his so far over the side of his head it must have been held on by Brylcreem!
'My grandfather's hidden wartime photo album' LINK

Some interesting photos by a man who was sent to record the posh bits of Glasgow but ended up photographing the darker side...
`How a Frenchman captured the 'exotic' Glasgow in 1980' LINK

And last but not least, a story about Rupert Bear. As a kid I often got the Rupert Bear Annual as a Christmas present. I was greatly impressed by his underground adventures,whizzing about in a little railway truck with the elves!
`Rupert Bear turns 100: The adventures continue' LINK

And here is the evidence for the side cap - my father in WW2...

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I bumped into Radio 4 whilst making breakfast in the kitchen. A long and very detailed history of the poppy. I found it offensive and typical of the present day BBC. Those who have been paying attention on here know all about that - we've all read 'Drugged to Death' but that's nothing to do with the poppy being used as a symbol for the British legion at this time of year.

Did Ian think of the opium angle at all whilst he was commendably,doing his annual personal contribution to the occasion. I doubt it.

PS No one has the right not to be offended.

PPS - just watching the ceremony. We do these rather well I'd say, and I think it's even better for being truncated. The timing to get everyone where they ought to be and in time was impressive. I noticed that HM Q was wearing a cluster of five poppies, and her eyes were everywhere during the silence. I wonder what she was thinking.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 10:53 Did Ian think of the opium angle at all whilst he was commendably,doing his annual personal contribution to the occasion. I doubt it.
Certainly not. I have along association with the Poppy as my mum and dad were heavily involved with the Royal British Legion. For me, I always think of when we visited Sally's Great Uncle Thomas's grave in the CWGC portion of the small French Cemetery where he is buried. The field opposite, which we discovered was the very same area where he was wounded and eventually succumbed to his injuries. All the perimeter of that former battlefield which was ploughed when we visited was ablaze with poppies. That is why it is a symbol and for no other reason.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 11:29 That is why it is a symbol and for no other reason
Agreed and that's why it's so offensive (to me anyway) for the woke BBC to do such a programme within an hour of the annual cenotaph ceremony. Another time and it would have been interesting.

Can't say I'm surprised though. They clearly have an agenda, and it's not my agenda.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, it sounds as though I was lucky to be in bed hard and fast asleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We distributed over 50 or so on my lists.

Here are the ones we couldn't find this year, all hiding on family plots or laid down headstones:

Cemetery
IMG_20201107_114019731.jpg

Churchyard
IMG_20201107_114502867.jpg

Lower Churchyard
IMG_20201107_114809789.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well done - commendable work - no fuss just got on with it.

The law of unintended consequences has come up.
Whilst watching HMQ's darting eyes taking all in, during the silence, the phrase 'she has all her chairs at home ' came to mind. I googled it and didn't find anything I didn't already know, but found an interesting reference to 'losing your marbles' .

Off at a tangent again. The upshot is that I (and Stanley ) now have an interesting book on the way which deals with such matters'. Put it next to the Slang Dictionary. It was cheaper than any book has a right to be so no hardship involved. Enjoy.

I'll go and do something useful now - like sweeping up leaves. It's a lovely day. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds intriguing...... Thanks in advance David!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Knock on the door this morning and I think it was the scaffolder coming to have a recce of where he needs to deploy.

A few weeks ago when we had that really wet and windy spell we heard a slate shutter down the roof and it ended up in our back yard. I couldn't see where it had come from but it didn't look like our roof. What I did notice though from the Velux in the attic was that the lead flashing between the main roof and our bathroom extension had blown up. I asked our local roofer Maz to come and have a look He cant see any missing slates on ours but we do have two split ones in the vicinity of the flashing and that in itself is also damaged, split in a few places due to age and needs replacing. Slates will have to come off above and below to fit new lead so it needs scaffolding to do the job properly.

My vertical Tri-band antenna is mounted on the side of the bathroom in the same vicinity so I hope that they can work round that.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good roofing weather at the moment Ian.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Today would have been my mothers 100th birthday if she was still with us. No telegram from the Queen but Happy Birthday mum.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 09:29 Today would have been my mothers 100th birthday if she was still with us. No telegram from the Queen but Happy Birthday mum.
What a coincidence, Ian. Yesterday my sister sent me an email that it would have been our Mum's 100th also. My Dad is 101, but he's been dead for 59 of those years.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are having a great night, after a lousy day...

😊. 👍
D0CB8137-564F-4292-8A29-48F022C25EDD.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Mum and dad 1937. My mum is 16 on this one and it's the day after my dads 19th birthday.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Pendle's computer programme to maximize traffic delays looks like its nearing perfection. At 5.00 pm this evening a single set of traffic lights controlling a minuscule bit of road works in Foulridge caused tailbacks for over a mile in both directions. Fortunately, drivers used a bit of common sense and kept the flow rolling rather than the usual rush and stop tactics. They've probably been well trained on North Valley road to cope with this sort of situation. :sad:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Queen Victoria Jubilee Fountain in its new spot lets you use the Holy Trinity Church as its backdrop.

PB100113.jpg
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aye but it would be better if it still had its original tower but unfortunately it leaked like a sieve. :sad:

Here's one posted by Angus (Gus)

Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 18:38 Pendle's computer programme to maximize traffic delays looks like its nearing perfection. At 5.00 pm this evening a single set of traffic lights controlling a minuscule bit of road works in Foulridge caused tailbacks for over a mile in both directions. Fortunately, drivers used a bit of common sense and kept the flow rolling rather than the usual rush and stop tactics. They've probably been well trained on North Valley road to cope with this sort of situation. :sad:
I wondered what was causing the queue past my house.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 20:43 Aye but it would be better if it still had its original tower but unfortunately it leaked like a sieve. :sad:

Here's one posted by Angus (Gus)

I believe it was structurally unsound too, the tower was too heavy to support itself.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember there being some very pointed questions asked at the time. It was about that same time that the roof of a newly built RC church near Leeds collapsed one very windy day. When questioned about the incident the architect said it was the parishioner's fault as they had left the door open. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”