WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Marilyn »

I’d like to know what those two women were gas-bagging about...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just passing the time of day Maz. I almost think I recognise one of them.
The change in the weather. For a while now we have been embedded in a very quiet seam of weather but that seems to have changed now and I think we are more under the influence of Atlantic systems coming in from the west. Things are certainly looking far more unsettled. We have been very lucky so far. In case anyone has forgotten we are almost at the end of November and haven't seen a hard frost or a winter storm.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Celebrations proposed for the Queen' s 70th year of reign in 2022. (if she gets there) May I suggest an appropriate memorial following the Queen Victoria Jubilee fountain but something to suit modern life styles, Perhaps a secure mobile phone charging point. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think it will probably warrant another beacon lighting on Weets. We had one for her 90th Birthday along with thousands of others up and down the country. It needs some Royalists with strong backs (and a trailer) I reckon. :smile:

HM Queen Elizabeth II 90th Birthday Beacon April 2016

Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Screenshot_20201112-194751_Metal Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That tells me that it’s definitely a day to stay home today!
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Cathy wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 21:23 That tells me that it’s definitely a day to stay home today!
Did that, the flat upstairs the fish tank burst and flooded the ceiling and the bed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What grabbed me yesterday was a glimpse in the marquee on the pioneer Car Park. It's still dedicated to Xmas trees and lights. The fairy lights in the trees went up yesterday and were lit. I saw a man with a trailer load of
garden benches a few days ago. They are all in the marquee and I think are the ones for the Town Square.
The Town Square is a mess, a combination of the rain and flagging, the sooner they get tidied up the better!
I note this morning that the uplighters round the base of the Jubilee memorial are lit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A friend of Mrs Tiz's sister died recently but sister couldn't attend the funeral due to lockdown. She was sent some photos which included these two. The hearse was a Yamaha m/c combination - judging from a google search there seem to be many of these available now. The coffin was cardboard, for environmental reasons - the man was `somebody, in the City of London so it wasn't due to lack of cash!

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Brilliant. Perfect. (And that is the size funeral I would want...just me and the bloke with the shovel.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I was arranging my funeral I enquired about cardboard and wicker coffins and they cost a fortune. Far more than a normal one.
A bit of a con really, that funeral. The two of them couldn't have lifted the coffin by themselves.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I knew yesterdays uplifting news stories were good going for Friday 13th. Good to see that Rasputin Cummings has sloped off with his cardboard box, however....

All the good news had to be too good to last, scaffolders turned up yesterday and have done a nice tidy job of scaffolding for our roof repair.

Problem is, it's a short span across the front of our bathroom extension so the boards on the top lift extend past the end of the scaffolding. They have put the overhang at the right hand side directly in the way of our satellite dish which is on the front face of the bathroom, no signal on ether of the down leads so no TV. :sad:
If they had shoved the boards the other way the dish would still be clear I reckon. Scaffolders are independent of Matt's company as that is all they do. I have emailed Matt to see if he can pop in and modify the top lift. Last time we had scaffold up it was there for the best part of a fortnight, it will also depend on when Matt can get round to doing our job. Might be recordings, Netflix and on demand for a bit.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Called in Colne library to pick up my book then wandered through town to take a picture of a pub sign I had missed. On the way back saw a lot of activity in the Skipton Rd car park which I took to be a covid testing station.

PB140118.JPG
The strange thing about this was after I had taken the photo one of the workers approached me all masked up etc and said " you can't take photos". Taken aback by this statement I replied "Tough, I have already taken it", then to calm the situation added "that when this was all over and if I was still alive I would be able to look back on this as a memory of what was going on". Then shuffled off back to the car.
Well aware of personal confidentiality of patients and staff I thought this was a bit over the top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Too right It is Ken. If they were really serious they'd have had a notice up informing you. A lot of wage going on there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I thought about putting this in the 'jokes' thread but it's far too real.
20201114_165243.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 03:40 When I was arranging my funeral I enquired about cardboard and wicker coffins and they cost a fortune. Far more than a normal one.
I agree they are a con. When I saw you can get cardboard coffins impregnated with flower seeds, I wondered how on earth they would germinate being buried 6ft under the ground! No flower can push that far to get out of the ground.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that I am being written out of some parts of history. I shall have to post in Stanley's view!
You'd think they'd wait until I was dead wouldn't you?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 03:06 You'd think they'd wait until I was dead wouldn't you?
Its like voodoo dolls unless the victim knows they are sticking pins in the effigy there's no point in doing it.

Some years ago at work I saw an incident that made me more than chuckle. One of the line managers, who suffered from blinding head aches usually from the previous nights excesses at the bar, had occasion to give one of his men a bit of a rocket. The man returned to his desk took out an effigy with a jubilee clip round its head, tightened it up with a screw driver, threw it back in his desk drawer locked it up and stormed out of the office. His boss just sat there with an open mouth the rest of the office was in an uproar. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're probably right Ken but I sent the archivist the articles in case he had not seen them, forgotten them, ignored them..... I threw the newsletter containing the offending stories into the bin. The truth is out there.... :biggrin2:
Love the story about the doll and the Jubilee Clip!

Some things are really important! Kahara stirring his first Xmas cake mixture yesterday. He licked the spoon afterwards as well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks as though my cunning plan is working. Just got this pic in of Kahara playing with his beam engine this morning. He's 11 months old, just right for starting his apprenticeship.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact I started the day by helping someone with the location of a gas main 60 years ago! Old age brings responsibilities.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The fact that our previous double spring mattress has just been collected by the free Pendle Council bulky waste collection service, (had to book a slot). We got a double Emma mattress to replace it, (very comfortable). We can tidy the bottom of the stairs now and the lobby to the front door and put the bikes back in there. They have been in the back living room for nearly a fortnight.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're waiting for a new CH remote controller from our plumber. He serviced the boiler a week ago and asked if we wanted him to put new batteries in the controller. We said no, we'd already replaced them since the last annual service. Guess what? Saturday evening the warning started flashing for needing a battery change. I put in new ones but the display would only show something like EIL, none of the buttons would work. Resetting it with the boiler itself didn't work. We phoned the plumber and, bless him, he came straight around. He found in the paperwork something saying that the EIL meant the controller was dead and had to be replaced. He did a bit of rewiring so we could use the boiler manually and he's going to get a new controller. He's also contacting the supplier because it was only 3 years old and he's never had one fail so soon before (it's a Drayton).
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm listening to the terrible stories being recounted by people with relatives and partners in care homes on 'You and Yours'. The professionals who are giving evidence are unanimous that the situation is out of control, management by the government has been slow or non existent and patients are dying directly because of the policies. Non of them equate the benefit of security against infection claimed because of the restrictions with the damage that is being caused. In particular they say that Matt Hancock's promise of improvements by Xmas is nonsense, if a full programme was started now it's doubtful if anything could be achieved but in fact nothing is being done.
This is beyond a problem, it is an ongoing catastrophe for many people.
Just seen your post Peter. That could never happen to me as I don't 'control' my CH. I just have the thermostat set and leave it alone. I suggest you try doing the same. If the house feels a bit cool during a change in the weather I just put a jumper on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

He found in the paperwork something saying that the EIL meant the controller was dead and had to be replaced.

A work colleague once told me he had sent a complaint about his washing machine that had seized up and quoted part no 710. They wrote back to say 710 = oil, :biggrin2:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”