Winter 2012

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2012

Post by Wendyf »

A cooling pic for Maz. Sorry it's a bit dark.

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I'll take you up on it Maz. Deep snow here, the dustbin wagon turned back before it got to us.
Say only a little but say it well.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

image.jpg
image.jpg

This wasn't here when I went to bed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you keep searching you will find it
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It is like a wonderland...
Sue, I've just realised the shape at the bottom of the photo resembles a car!

Moh, come anytime...the key is under the front mat...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

These two pics are of Moh'#s garden. The one below is my acreage! Notice that Jack sees snow as an interesting scent holder!

Gentle snow fell all day yesterday and gradually accumulated. Walking about was OK as the fresh snow gave a good grip, usual walks done. However, the frost has increased again to the low figures we had earlier and I fear it will be a lot worse underfoot today. Don't look for any respite from the frost for at least three days, the shipping forecast reports that the flow of cold air down from the North is undiminished. Glass has retuned to 29" and is steady so no change there. Definitely winter!

It's 08:00 and Jack and I are back in the warm. We went no further than the green where Jack had a good play with a big bitch, a Rhodesian Ridge-back I think. The lady was a bit apprehensive, I think she's frightened of her dog but the bitch was fine and it did her good trying to catch Jack in the snow. No Valley Gardens this morning, I could have managed it I'm sure but it is very slippy underfoot where the snow has been troadden so safet first! It's snowing gently again like yesterday, not sure how much we'll get, less I suspect. Jack is empty and we're both dry and warm, what more could you ask for?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's misty this morning. Col managed to get the through the drifts up to the road in the pick-up and I have slithered down the track with the ponies.
Here's Dennis

And Dennis & Sparky
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That's right the shape isa car. The road is clear today but frozen. Cars are travelling very carefully. Where we live the road starts a gentle and then a steep rise. We have spent many an hour when the children were small guessing how far up the hill they would get before we saw them coming back down backwards. We tend to get abandoned cars outside the house.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Poor horses out in the snow - do they not mind? It is a beautiful, sunny afternoon, the snow is melting in places but I think it will be very dangerous tonight when it freezes.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

They enjoy the snow Moh and can't wait to get outside and roll in it. My boys both have thick woolly coats and probably don't really need the thick rugs they are wearing. I give them a good breakfast before they go out, and provide plenty hay for them to eat in the field. By the time it gets dark they will be back in their clean & cosy stables with yet another manger full of grub and haynets to see them through till morning. Yesterday they were poor horses having to stay inside when it was snowing, but today they have been happy, healthy, lucky boys being able to go out to play!
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Some snow on Friday, but signs of a change to milder westerly gales with rain during the coming weekend. That could change between now and then though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, lovely to see the lads out in the snow. You're right of course, we forget that as long as they have full bellies, large animals with good coats can stand a lot of weather. The snow is far better for them than driving rain. Think of Dartmoor and Shetland ponies....
If anything it's colder than ever this morning. Very bad underfoot and even Jack wasn't interested in being out any longer than was necessary to have his early morning pee! Glass has risen a bit to 29.2" but in trhese conditions that probably means even colder weather. I am reminded of 1963 when it froze for six weeks..... I was out on the tramp in it and it was not an easy time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Loving these photo's (hope they are for me too...) We have a blistering and sweltering 38C tomorrow, with relief on Fri of 25C.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Of course they are for you Cathy - and anyone else living overseas in the heat. Today feels more of a raw cold, our glass is up to 29.5.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Snap Moh, mine is dead on 29.5" this morning. No respite in the frost as yet and a partial surface thaw in the sun has re-frozen and pavements are deadly. Council is doing a good job with the salt but even so I shan't be going any further than is necessary to empty Jack! They hold out prospect of a change from tomorrow. If this happens we could well see a clap of heavy snow as the warm front moves in.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was clear last night so we have a bitter frost made worse by the fact there is a stiff breeze so add the wind chill factor and we have a recipe for a very cold walk! Glass still locked on 29.5" and I fully expect a clap of snow today as the warm front moves in relieving the frost. I went to the butcher's yesterday at dinnertime while conditions were a bit better! Good call I think, Jack and I won't be out there any longer than is necessary! Even he feels cold like this.
08:50. Jack and I are back in the warm after a short walk and a play with Cassie the Ridgeback/Mastiff cross. She's certainly taken to Jack and I suspect wants to take him home! It is bitter out there! Walking into the wind gives you face-ache and I'm glad to be indoors again. A lazy wind, it would sooner cut through you than go round! I remember what an old bloke once told me about a wind like this. He said if ypu had to stand still in it always face into the wind as it is further through to your lungs than it is from the back. Sounds reasonable to me. Take notice Wendy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We had 25C today and expect 24C tomorrow. It's beautiful one day and perfect the next at the moment (she says while holding her breath...)

Big weekend for Australia this weekend, we are celebrating our 225th Australia Day. In 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip unfurled the British flag at Sydney Cove and proclaimed British Sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia. However, it wasn't until 1808 that we first celebrated Australia Day on January 26th. Anyway, it means we get a long weekend :grin: Yaye!
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Started snowing coming in on the west wind. Co-op car park full of people no doubt stocking up on bread and milk....
I've got plenty of milk, a fresh-baked loaf, my new Shardlake book and the house is warm. Bliss.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The first flakes began falling about an hour ago but they have slowed to one every now & then. They said last night it would be later this afternoon when it arrives - we shall see!!
Just noticed should it be Winter 2013 now?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ok where is the snow?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Oh, I spoke too soon. Down it comes!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Four seasons in each year so convention would say that it is still the winter that commenced in 2012 at the solstice. Spring eqinox will herald the seasons of the new year.
Ian
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Snowing in Nelson this evening and tonight. Very fine stuff but still covering the roads and paths. Better day tomorrow with sunshine and becoming milder on Sunday. Its still only January though so we might not be finished with winter yet !! :surprised:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes Ray we are only 5 weeks into Winter, Spring does not arrive until the 20th March so a long way to go yet.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It started snowing gently in Barlick around 16:30 and continued on and off all night. At the moment it's a mixture of wet flakes and cold rain so it looks as though the forecasters were right. This lot won't be with us long and the bonus is that it's weekend so by Monday the problems will be gone for the workers. Glass reinforces this, it has fallen to 29.5". Good! Snow is all right on Xmas cards.....
Later at 06:30 just before Jack and I go for our walk. Definitely much warmer. The snow is heavy and slushy and already shows signs of thawing. Forecast is for a brighter morning, nowhere near as cold and heavy rain coming in later. Looks good to me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”