Today I shall be Mainly...

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Marilyn »

We do not see your efforts boring, Stanley.
If only you would acknowledge others efforts, beside Sue’s!
Not Sue’s fault, as she greets us all...( and we love to hear from Sue)...( and PLEASE keep posting Sue as we all love your posts) but I think the rest of us have given up on this topic...as we tend to be ignored.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well I hope I am not ignoring anyone. I tend to scan other posts, but politics is now incredibly repetitive, Coronavirus too which were the main topics of interest. I often add little titbits to conversations through out the day whilst we are sitting with a brew, as we say’up norf ‘.There are no holidays to discuss because no one can have one, and the weather in the UK is the same old damp dreary winter, not stimulating for much novel activity. I am sure I bore people with my daily diary but it is a habit I got into in France, and has certainly kept my mind and planning active. I use a modified version for two family blogs. They have kept us all together and brought my siblings and my cousin Trish a deal of support, I understand. So here are my ramblings for the day.

Yesterday we did our walk to the post office , a brisk 4 mile walk along the railway bridle path and back . On the way we passed someone I knew from my old Tuesday night dance exercise class days. We didn’t speak as you know how it is. You realise you know them too late to chat. On the way back we met again and this time we did chat. It must be three years if not more since we last saw each other. She lives by herself but gets out and about. It transpires she does the same round of walks that we do so I am surprised our paths, literally, have not crossed before.

Now to the study which is progressing well. The mass clear out has brought a few laughs. We found a book of photos that we took of our house in France when we first bought it in 2005. The trees seemed so small, which of course they were! The stables and the field were almost impenetrable. There were lots of other interesting things, so easy to get sidetracked. I cleared the drawer that contained reusable jiffy bags and envelopes and came across a folder of stuff that had belonged to Bob’s Dad. It was strange seing his hand writing after all of this time. Anyway the tidy up and clear out continues. I washed the curtains, and Bob started stripping the wall paper, a fashionable wall paper circa 2000! The walls will be painted this time in a pale colour as it is a small room that faces into the conservatory making it rather dark. The blank walls as they are revealed during the stripping look so light and airy. Bob muttered something about finishing by Christmas. I think not, and it doesn’t really matter. There is nothing to rush for. I also made more coasters in the design of a mug for our friends Wendy and Barry and in the evening typed a four page letter with our adventures of the year. A personal letter, not a round robin to be sent to everyone.

Today is dance exercise then a quick shower and changeover to Zoom U3A Art, where we will be discussing our portrait project and our next one which does not enthuse me at all. It is the grand heading of THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS , to be represented however we want. I think my preferred method is with a glass of sherry and a mince pie 😂. It will be a late lunch, after the meeting. We need to go to the bank so may have a walk into Rochdale later or may leave it till tomorrow. I feel like I am tidying up loose ends, a bit of this and a bit of that.

Anyway thats my day, hope you all have a good one.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stripping wallpaper...gosh...I am soooo good at updating...I love a bit of a “Reno”... :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm trying to remember the last time I stripped wallpaper! It must be a long time ago.
I don't walk as far as you (nowhere near!) and so I don't meet as many people but the ones I do know are great and it's nice to have a chat. Many of them are my old dog walking friends so I generally get the benefit of a dog that knows me.
I've just had my second walk and at the moment we have a gloomy morning with light drizzle. Deep Joy! I had a good hour and a half in the shed and we have made progress again.

The main job was preparing the column to accept the beam mounted in its trunnions and be ready for building.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 08:18 Stripping wallpaper...gosh...I am soooo good at updating...I love a bit of a “Reno”... :biggrin2:
So do I Maz, we did a major overhaul a couple of years back with a couple of redesigns but the study got left. Its such a well used room with computer stuff, filing cabinets and a big wardrobe we converted to hobby storage . However needs must as they say. As we will not require the room for guests for a while we can move furniture out a bit at a time and take our time . Its too small for a bed for sleeping with all our stuff in there but when we have guests to stay we suggest they store their clutter in there, bags , suitcases, kids toys etc we sleep in my sewing room on air beds, Julia and Ed have our bed ( though now they insist on the airbeds) and the grand daughters have twin beds in the spare room , or we can zip them together to make a kingsize bed for couples. It must be 18 months since anyone stayed. This is a four bedroom bungalow but we have reduced it to two with a study and a sewing room . It works for us like this. When the family left home, we simply spread to fill all available space 😊.

Just had a message from Claire. Erin has been up since 5 with pre recording nerves. The school are recording the nativity and putting it on their website for parents. What a good idea. Erin is THE STAR , such an appropriate part 😊 . Oh the stresses of being a super star .
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I think this is one of the best online nativity plays I've seen this year. It's been doing the rounds on a lot of news outlets and will be great for the children to look back on.

I have videos of my children from 30+ years ago.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thanks Kev, the video is really well done, I enjoyed it. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It made me smile
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 09:28 I think this is one of the best online nativity plays I've seen this year. It's been doing the rounds on a lot of news outlets and will be great for the children to look back on.

I have videos of my children from 30+ years ago.
That was absolutely brilliant Kev, the kids were good and the modern twist was clever plus the way they used the town and its assets . We know Grasmere well and it took me to our annual holidays there. Just hope we can go in January. I will never be able to look at the town in the same way again😊 I think videos were not around when my kids were in nativities. We have a few photos of Julia singing a solo.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby power-washed the outside of the house today, a big job! That lead to a lot of wiping down of windows, two sets of double patio doors and a glass insert front door. I am pooped!
We now have one glass patio door that will not close. I think a seal needs to dry out. We have never had a problem with it before. It won’t take long to dry out...it is 32C today. Might hand him a glass of beer when he sits down.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What is it with men and power washing! Mick did my flags front and back the other day, he says it's therapeutic!
Took the time to watch the Grasmere Nativity Play. Brilliant, professional quality and it made me cry. I've sent it to the kids.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Gosh power wash a whole house, Bob is not keen on even power washing the garden paths because of the amount of water it consumes and we are on a meter. It must have taken some time. Yes Stanley I had a tear in my eye too with the nativity. I hope Erins performance went well in hers .

Today is Bacup market, and no further plans this morning. Its an early lunch as I have a pedicure booked for 1.00 pm. Its the first professional one since January . Vicky will also reshape my eyebrows, not my best skill. Then it will be hair on Wednesday and I may start to feel a little more normal instead of that scarecrow I mentioned the other day. Such vanity😆

The paper stripping and decorating is progressing but has halted whilst Bob gets a longer ladder from screw fix so he can get into the corners to paint the ceiling. I think he is collecting it today. I have no other plans now. Parcels are wrapped for posting either by Royal Mail or Hermes and I think we may take them today to avoid Mondays queues.

I discovered yesterday that my friend Barry is 85 this week , so I will reopen his envelope and card and add a comment before posting that on Tuesday. Nicky , his daughter, confirmed his birthday is the 19 th and not 16 th. I normally call to see them on their birthdays but not possible this year. When Nicky was 15 she used to baby sit for us, when she was 16 I tutored her Biology as a private student. Then we didn’t see each other for years, when I suddenly came across her in my yoga class. She is 57 now , she tells me. I was shocked. How could that have happened.

This evening is the u3A wine appreciation virtual Christmas meal. The menu sounds really good, its a shame we can’t actually eat it. Crackers and silly hats and jokes will be the rule. We are actually making our cocktails and canapés . I know at least one course that is actually being made. There will be wine pairing of course.😊 talking of virtual eating, in my whats app video with Eve last night she made melting moments biscuits . They looked so good. I am looking forward to actually tasting some of her baking next year.

So thats it, have a good day everyone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tell Bob I said to beware any enterprise that involves the purchase of 'longer ladders'!
Glad someone else had a cry watching the Grasmere Play.
I've just had two hours in the shed and will go for a walk now, make my breakfast and post on shed matters. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

At 6.30pm it is still daylight here of course, with a temperature of 31C. All doors are open to catch the sea breeze. It is not unpleasant, with overhead fans on to circulate air. A balmy night. No need for air conditioning as we are not uncomfortable quietly sitting. Might need to leave the bedroom ceiling fan on as we sleep without sheet or covers though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had a good morning in the shed. Here's where I was at knocking off time after two hours honest endeavour.

I told you I was making a steam engine!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

31degrees Maz I wish. Add the two numbers together is about right for here🌫💨🌧💧☂️
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can tell you exactly where I am going with Margaret's engine and will be in the shed again this morning. Walking might be curtailed by the weather, we'll see later when it's time to go out!
I have plenty of reading laid out for the afternoon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Another wet dreary day in the offing, starting with the usual dark December morning. Just over another week and the tide will turn, as they say, the shortest day will be with us and longer days to look forward to. If its a good day on my birthday in January it can just be light at 4.45 pm, instead of dark at 3.45 pm

Yesterday other than go for my pedicure it was not a day of note until the evening. The U3A wine appreciation virtual Christmas meal and get together was fun. A lot of research had gone into the food and wine pairing and there was a good demonstration of Jane’s teaching over the last few months. Jane being my sister and wine writer who has been our guest expert once a month.

Bob collected his ladder from screwfix and we worked out that the old one was nearly 50 years old, having bought it from the ‘open all hours’ hardware shop round the corner from our first house in Swinton when, we had just got married. On impulse I ordered some wall paper for one wall of the study, the wallpaper that resembles a row of book shelves. It wasn’t too expensive so if it isn’t right when it comes its not going to break the bank.

This morning is yoga, and the rest of my day is not planned. Bob wants to paint the ceiling in the study and we do intend putting up the Christmas tree, a small ,artificial one, that we have used for the last few years. I have an art project and a craft project that I may have a go at. The latter is preparation for me to take the group on zoom sometime in January.

So thats it, have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, you're right about the weather. As I mentioned earlier I was going to review my walks when I saw what the weather was going to bring. As I suspected my 8AM walk has been scrapped, it is dark wet and cold out there! I have been on my feet for two hours in the shed. That counts as light exercise at least!

The cylinder assembly has been stripped down and rebuilt ready for fitting and running. Now I can think about a coat of black paint.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can see me missing more walks today, we have cold rain again! I shall be having a careful look at the castings, My mind is on a coat of black gloss. Beyond that all that occurs to me is to keep dry and warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

It was certainly wet yesterday and it never really got light. Bob painted the ceiling in the study, we put the tree up and I did some craft. I distinctly lacked enthusiasm for putting the tree up even though it brightened up the lounge and made it feel festive. As no one will be visiting, including our grand children , we didn’t bother with all the kids stuff that usually keeps them entertained ie musical Santa . It doesn’t really feel like Christmas. I was in bed by 10.00 pm as restless leg had set in at about 8.30 pm .

I think today will be wet again. Pilates this morning, then absolutely nothing planned. I will probably carry on with the craft project so that I can finally put something together to teach on zoom in late January.

Have a good day everyone
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Haven’t put my tree up either Sue. Not even the usual wreath on the front door. Haven’t even bought crackers for Christmas Day, which will just be the two of us.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I think today will be wet again."
I think that's a pretty good bet Sue but we have just had a clear patch of sky come in from the SW and it stopped raining so I went for a quick second walk as soon as I'd finished this morning's stint in the shed. I just managed a dry walk, it started raining again as I got back.
I've done an hour and a half in the shed getting the castings ready for a coat of black paint tomorrow. Boring work but it has to be done, lots of filing, sanding and smoothing down.

It will all start to look a lot more positive in a few days... I promise!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 08:13 Haven’t put my tree up either Sue. Not even the usual wreath on the front door. Haven’t even bought crackers for Christmas Day, which will just be the two of us.
We have crackers. They are environmentally friendly, all paper etc. However I wanted two for our group zoom meeting on Saturday. I really struggled to get in the box, I eventually had to cut it open. It was much later when I found the front was also environmentally friendly. No cellophane. I could just put my hand in the front window and pull out the crackers..... :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be ignoring Xmas as usual and concentrating on Margaret's engine. I think painting is on the cards today! Otherwise the usual round of getting my fresh air and exercise but avoiding people. I was lucky yesterday, despite the rain I managed two dryish walks during the day. Lets hope I can be as lucky today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”