WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

:biggrin2: :good:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My two oldest friends took me to Salt's Mill yesterday and I bought them lunch. The took the rich cake option for dessert.... I just sat and watched them! I thought of you in the bookshop Wendy. Margaret bought Daniel's book; 'Now and Then', I kept my hands in my pocket. Lovely day and they must have tired me out, I was in bed at 18:00 and slept for nine hours!
Margaret takes me to Colne tomorrow for my 4th jab..... I might even look at my mate in the market who sells tools.......
Another bright note was the fact that Myra at the sewing shop on Rainhall Road is back at work after a successful operation for cancer. I dropped my coat in yesterday and she says it will be ready next Wednesday so that's that one sorted!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yesterday actually, our Jack came up at tea time to see us. He is training to be a bee keeper and has been out shopping for some kit. He went to Leeds and bought his bee keeping suit and a smoker and other tools for the job. A few more weeks I think and he will be getting his Genesis hive from the group he is a member of. He needs to buy and construct his hive yet ready for deployment. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My dad kept bees and it's a fascinating process if you get into it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, Jack has been passing on what he has learned so far. Queen promotion and retirement of the former is a fascinating process and is probably a very good example of a perfect communist community. Can't work in the human sphere of course because as a species we are driven by self preservation at all costs.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All is back to normal. I have a new brew can to make my morning coffee!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Lovely and quiet in the garden today, just birdsong and gunfire :biggrin2:

For the benefit of those not local https://www.kelbrook.com/
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When we lived in the Somerset Levels village we sometimes heard automatic rifles being fired about 5 miles away on a range used by the MoD. We were used to it but visitors tended to think a war had broken out! :smile:

Here's a couple of brief recent videos of RN Hawk jets doing their final flights before retirement. We'll miss them, they were very common in the South-west... Cornwall and Portsmouth
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Big Kev wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 10:25 Lovely and quiet in the garden today, just birdsong and gunfire :biggrin2:

For the benefit of those not local https://www.kelbrook.com/
I don't notice the gunfire anymore, though I was aware of a pleasant silence during lockdown. It's the streams of motorbikes accelerating down the big dip that are disturbing my peace this morning!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one Kev..... :biggrin2:
I sympathise with Wendy, noisy traffic is a pet hate of mine. There are a few cars in Barlick that have very loud exhausts driven by young men with very small dicks who need a way to draw attention to themselves. One of the side benefits of the coming electric car revolution is that this activity will cease. We all know places where we can be sure to have peace and quiet, nothing beyond natural sounds. I reckon such places are good for the soul......

This is such a place, Loch Morar.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 03:36 There are a few cars in Barlick that have very loud exhausts driven by young men with very small dicks who need a way to draw attention to themselves. One of the side benefits of the coming electric car revolution is that this activity will cease.
I'm sorry to have to tell you that's not so. The noisy brigade have already got many gadgets to choose from, such as this...
`Here’s how you can make your electric car sound like a Chevrolet Corvette or BMW M4' LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Our Jack is in the process of swapping his car out. He leases so he swaps every two or three years. He has stayed in the Peugeot stable but upgraded to the 308 petrol automatic. Looks like a nice car. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad he got an automatic. We love ours, so much easier to drive. The Americans had the right idea!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A visit from my nephew Michael. He reckons it's 17 years since we saw each other. We had a good catch up. As you can see he's a big lad. Him and Kev would make a good pair of book ends......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Some evidence that the sanctions against Russia are having an effect - The CFN chess club have just moved premises.

Moscow, Starosadsky lane 6/12 building 2.
..It is impossible to do business without a dream. We would have been dreaming for a long time until the foreign policy events that took place. In March, prices began to skyrocket for everything, absolutely everything we needed to move. So, the projector, which was necessary to display the results on the wall, has doubled in price, as well as other equipment. Materials for the renovation of the premises have become more expensive. Ikea threw us with our paid furniture order, suspending work in Russia. But the fact that for some is an obstacle on the way to a dream, made us move faster. Chairs, light bulbs, lamps and sockets, construction and finishing materials had time to buy while they were in stock. I had to go for the projector 101 km from Moscow (it remained there in a single copy at the same price). Tables are coming to us from the Urals, from local production in Yekaterinburg. I hope the Urals will not let us down! At the end of March, we plan to open at a new address: Moscow, Starosadsky lane 6/12 building 2.
We will inform you about the exact opening date later.

Plaques if you're still keeping up. Watch the game between 'Burger King' - GM Naumkin , and 'Stormbreaker' - a kid in a red top in yesterday's live stream. About 30 minutes into the video. The kid had about four seconds left and the GM had about two minutes.
Remarkable. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 13:10 Plaques if you're still keeping up. Watch the game between 'Burger King' - GM Naumkin , and 'Stormbreaker' - a kid in a red top in yesterday's live stream. About 30 minutes into the video. The kid had about four seconds left and the GM had about two minutes.
Remarkable. . . .
I can't seem to find the one you are referring to. The one I watched was one month ago where Maumkin won but the lad put up a credible defence. I tend to watch about four games a night where most of them use set openings which for me is all a blur until they reach a point of slowing down to think. :surprised:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Try here Chess fast forward about 31 minutes. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting intelligence about the impact of sanctions...... Putin reckons to control the media but that is one of the news feeds he seems to have forgotten. I wonder if our intelligence services are chess fans as well....?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 20:14 Try here Chess fast forward about 31 minutes.
I saw the clock 'Will start in 3 min but too impatient to wait. I thought 'M' had move his queen to the wrong side of the board. but there you go.

The Russians are avid chess fans. Lenin was a big player and some on the autobiography's record some of his games.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bloke with an electric Kango hammer chasing the pointing out of next doors back wall. I remember it well from when I did the 96 course of Yorkshire points on the gable of our first house. I did that with the damage from a dislocated shoulder as well, painful as well as very noisy. :gatlin2: :ohno:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 02:52 Interesting intelligence about the impact of sanctions..
Good to see someone saw what I was trying to illustrate. :smile:

I thought the words used to describe the invasion of Ukraine and the deaths of thousands of people was interesting too.
"foreign policy events"

I heard on the radio recently a woman from Belarus say that the penalty for disagreeing with the Government was seven years in jail. Do it again and they would "take you to the forest".

Plaques. you don't need to wait. The video is a copy of a live event on Sunday. Just put your mouse arrow on the red dot, and slide it along the bar to about 31 minutes in. . Worth the effort I'd say. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I get my coat back from the seamstress just in time for the cold weather. My mate Ian has started the clearing out of the front garden, the lilac was blotting out the light. The return of Jess and Mo from their European travels, they need a few days to regroup at Earby before setting off again to Kenya to show off Kahara and Lilly to the Kiragu clan. This means that Margaret gets to see them today.

Seriously cute......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Aaw 😊 A lovely moment in time.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This guy is an entertaining read every Wednesday. Some on here may find this week's effort interesting.

Blake Morrison
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”