Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

It was amazingly dry yesterday, we saw next to no rain although we had 1 cm during the night. It made little impact on the soil but it certainly wasn’t warm. We pottered over to Clitheroe where the weather was much the same. We had a walk round the town, had a coffee, bought our wine and a new fishing net to remove duck weed from the pond. It was only a cheap child's one but it did the trick . The old one suffered badly when removing stuff from the pond last week. The heavy sludge clogged the holes and it got ripped in places. In the evening I watered my broad beans and other veg in troughs which are all sizing up nicely, the vegetation having prevented much of the rain getting to the soil.

This morning is Bacup market. This afternoon I shall make a pizza for tea trying out our new pizza oven on the new BBQ. We are determined to get some use out of them. This evening is the wine appreciation group meeting. I am making Briony a dress but may leave sewing till tomorrow when Bob is out.

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No rain in our forecast Sue so using a barbecue or pizza oven would be fine in Barlick, from what I hear in the national forecast you should expect the same. Here in Barlick it looks like another overcast day, no sign of the sunny spells they promise us.

I have a bed casting ready for erection, tomorrow I shall carry on with the castings.

I think Bob will understand this, I have Added a couple of Bahco adjustables to the collection and hung the three smallest over the bench where all you have to do is reach out for them. It will save a lot of time. Amazing how long it can take to find a special spanner if you need one.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes, Bob says.The sun is out here but cloudy also. Getting warm. We are sat in the garden with a cuppa. A break from Bob doing the top of the pond wall
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Our new mattress arrived today, it's a Silentnight bought for half the list price on Amazon Prime Day so we are well pleased. Son Craig came up to help me get it upstairs and swopped for the old one as Col is only fit to criticise from the sidelines. :smile:
Not an easy task....
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have an Emma mattress, light years ahead of the previous sprung variety that we had before. Fantastically comfortable. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We have a Silentnight mattress too Wendy. It's sprung but with a memory foam layer on top, got it about 8 years ago direct from Silentnight with the friends and family discount. It's very comfortable, very large (superking) and very heavy, it's definitely a two person job to turn it around.
I've looked at the 'all' foam mattresses Ian but have always been a bit hesitant, there's around 120kgs of me and I'm concerned I'll just squash it flat. I've had to replace the foam (different stuff I know) in sofa cushions for something a bit more heavy duty.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have had a memory foam topped mattress for a number of years but it has lost its shape and support completely now. I've been sleeping on a medium firm sprung mattress in the spare bedroom since Col came out of hospital and have found it very comfortable. Hopefully he will have a good night on the new mattress and will soon be well enough to share the bedroom with his long suffering wife again! 😃
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

We have memory foam mattresses. Three of them are 10cm of memory foam over 20cm of medium or high resilience foam and these are the ones we mainly use. Another one is 10cm of MF over 20cm of latex, specified by me for me, but is too soft for my liking and was soon relegated to a spare bedroom. I was informed by the manufacturer that getting more than 10 cm of MF is pointless and makes the mattress too soft. We changed to MF mattresses to stop "movement transfer" and have never regretted it.
Kevin, I'm about 95kg and have had no trouble with these mattresses going out of shape, they are all perfect after many years of use. I think the one in Nanning is guaranteed for 15 years and was perfect after 8 years of use when I inspected it at the last change of tenants. We wouldn't go back to "springs and things" although we still have one in our Nanning bedsitter and one in a guest room here.
One of my daughters has an Ikea 100% MF mattress and that is far too soft also.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good God, everyone's bought a mattress! Susan has got a new one as well I'm not sure but I think hers is an Emma as well. You're right about heavy mattresses, the better they are the heavier.
I am still on my Vi Spring Elite bought around 1980 and it's still as good as it has ever been.
Today I shall be in the shed for more work on the 10H, this ones for me, I haven't got one in my collection. No shopping but as it's a dry day, two walks and a sit opposite the bookies! F1 tonight at the Red Bull Track.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

We haven’t bought a mattress. Ours is a sprung mattress with memory foam as a top layer. There is only one way up to the mattress because of that so it is only rotated , never turned over. Recently we bought a memory foam topper. It is a very comfortable mattress indeed and I miss it when we go to France. Although all the mattresses in France are new they are only foam. They do however have a summer side up and a winter side up, though neither of us can remember which is which .

Lovely day yesterday. Bob finished the wall of the pond. I paid a visit to the garden centre timed at the same time as the Wales football match. It worked it was quieter. I bought new pond plants, baskets for them and aquatic compost. These are now in situ. The new pump arrived which needs to be put in place and the cable threaded through the pond wall to reach the outside plug socket. All is looking good and to top it all we have flowers on the waterlilies.

I made pizzas which we cooked and ate outside in the pizza oven that sits on top of the BBQ. It worked well but the pizza stone it was cooked on is a nightmare to clean. If we had known we would have wrapped it in foil before using it. If any of you reading this buy a pizza stone for use on the BBQ, then there is a hint or you.

I finished Briony’s dress in the morning, and washed it later. It had a lot of pencil marks on it where I had positioned pockets and measured up for a fancy fluted hem . I will iron it later when I do the rest of the ironing, and post it tomorrow. Today will be a domestic day . The house needs a good clean, particularly the conservatory which is covered in fine stone dust caused by Bob cutting the stone to size for the pond wall. I couldn't do much yesterday as we were on reduced water pressure all day whilst a water leak was being repaired further up the hill in Whitworth. Bob will be down at the park running the model train. Business is booming there at the moment . I also have a zoom art session with Briony and what app with Eve. Little Erin, in Preston is on 10 days isolation as a boy in her class has the dreaded virus. I hope she does not go down with it as Claire and Adam have only had their first vaccination

Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've never heard of that before Sue, a summer side and a winter one on a mattress. Mine gets turned once in a blue moon as it's so heavy it takes at least two to do it.

I've had a nice morning with my castings, all has gone well.
I am having breakfast now and normally would be off to bed for second sleep but not this morning. I am going to play out with Kahara for the first time! Susan and Mick are calling in for me and we're going up to Letcliffe Park. Looking forward to it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I think its to do with the thickness or type of the fabric covering the mattress on one side Stanley. It was explained to us ( in french) when we bought them . We have little spare room in our bedroom here so it is a major job rotating our mattress, definitely a two person job .
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We're fortunate for room at this house, mattress rotation involves me taking the scenic route across the bed base and Paulette keeping to the floor. She has got the California Roll perfected now too, the superking quilt cover change is now a one woman job with no longer a requirement to get inside the cover :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Stanley... looking forward to pics of your ‘play out’ with Kahara, maybe some nice views too. Enjoy 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 10:59 We're fortunate for room at this house, mattress rotation involves me taking the scenic route across the bed base and Paulette keeping to the floor. She has got the California Roll perfected now too, the superking quilt cover change is now a one woman job with no longer a requirement to get inside the cover :biggrin2:
Me too, I use the california roll technique for quilt changing, a very easy method in comparison to others
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Too busy talking to Kahara Cathy to do views. I gave him a ball and Susan will give him his engine when they get back to Earby. He can run faster than any of us.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh yes, that’s a great pic.
One for framing I’d say. :good:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 12:28 Image

Too busy talking to Kahara Cathy to do views. I gave him a ball and Susan will give him his engine when they get back to Earby. He can run faster than any of us.....
Lovely, hope you had a good afternoon
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We did Sue, only an hour but it was good.
Quietly forward in the shed. Not going to make the mistakes I did last time! The day looks good so the usual walks.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Rather achey today. Normally when we clean Bob helps but he was out all day so it was a heavy day yesterday, cleaning, washing floors, doing the washing, ironing, cutting back dead flowers in the garden ( so I could see the roses that have now come out) as well as art zoom with B and chatting to Eve on Whats app. When Bob came in I was busy preparing rhubarb crumble and the veggies for our roast beef meal . It was evening of TV and chilling out.

Today I have pilates and yoga and this afternoon we need to walk into Rochdale, the bank for Bob with two weeks of takings on the train, the postoffice for me to post Bs dress and top to her, but I also need to call in at the optician as my new glasses still keep falling off when I am active such as cleaning. I have started wearing old ones for my pilates classes. I need to wear them for that so I can see the zoom screen.They were an absolute pain yesterday and eventually I gave up on them and chucked them on the kitchen table.

Have a good day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck with improperly fitted frames.... They can be a pain, I know, I've been there.

Here's the score for this morning, the front lid and the cylinder in good order and ready for further work. Notice the pop mark on the wooden plug in the cylinder, nowhere near the centre of the core. A big improvement on what I did on the last engine and got into trouble... Good stuff, I enjoyed it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You know where I'll be.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well it actually rained yesterday evening and once or twice through the night. The garden needed it, it was like dust. I weeded the front garden yesterday afternoon and some of my plants were just falling out of the soil as it was so dry. Sometime today I want to continue with tidying the front garden, its due to be dry and warm all day. The back gets lots of attention but not so the front. I also want to start some of the pattern drafting that I discussed with Maxine last Wednesday. Its been nearly a week and I haven’t had chance to do any of it. I usually do sewing related activities on Sundays but with this week being a heavy domestic Sunday, nothing got done . Bob is out at the model railway at the park this afternoon so I can disrupt the dining room and use the dining table for the pattern making. This evening is pilates and yoga.

We heard yesterday that Eve is on isolation for 10 days as is the rest of her class group . She is disappointed as she was in the third knock out round of an inter schools maths competition yesterday and doing really well against older children. Sunday was to be her first proper swimming gala in over 18 months . Erin over in Preston has also been on self isolation since last Friday, coinciding with important training course and meetings for Claire and Adam. Whilst they both work from home , these activities were not home based but at their respective offices at Warrington and Preston respectively. Claire has to do the training course as it is for her annual Environmental Officers licence for the Environment Agency. Without it she cannot do any site visiting. Of course we can’t help out as it defeats the object of what the isolation is for. Whilst Eve is self sufficient, Erin still needs parental supervision being only 7, though she can get on with her school work online by herself. They have got to come up with a better system for school children!

Have a good day everyone
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Referring to my last sentence I Just read this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57638369
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The isolation for schools was discussed on the radio yesterday, it seems an almost unworkable process. 'Bubbles' of up to 300 potentially having to isolate sounds ridiculous.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”