Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 06:33 The isolation for schools was discussed on the radio yesterday, it seems an almost unworkable process. 'Bubbles' of up to 300 potentially having to isolate sounds ridiculous.
Absolutely. They could vaccinate high school children, like many other countries. It must be cheaper than continuous testing. Certain vaccines have been shown to be safe for 12 plus age.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think they are moving towards scrapping the bubbles.

Here in Barlick, completely isolated... I have been busy in the shed. Good progress and I am ready for high risk drilling of steam passages.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 07:09 I think they are moving towards scrapping the bubbles.

Here in Barlick, completely isolated...
Not completely though :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

There's a theory that the Gov: are trying for herd immunity in children by the back door. No official declared plan but exactly the progamme to follow if they had a plan. How many times do you here that there is no plan when the plan is to have no plan so they can't be blamed when the plan goes wrong. Is that clear.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our Finlay,s bubble burst last week as well. One kid in his class tested positive so everyone else was banished. Carla has to test herself regularly and she does both Isla and Fin at the same time. All negative, Carla and Ant are both double vaccinated but of course it means that Anthony can't work or has to work from home, bit difficult when you're an electrician. :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There have been problems with the lockdown rules all along. I have always thought that if the government wants to stop you working they should pay a benefit.
I shall be making quiet and accurate progress in the shed drilling small holes at an angle in the cylinder.... It usually works well but as it's blind it can be a bit stressful.
Otherwise having my walks and looking after myself!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yesterday was a beautiful day. I tidied the front garden in the morning and it looked much better for it. After lunch in the garden Bob went off to the park and I started my sewing tasks. That took all of the afternoon and as usual the time flew by. Today we intend walking in to Rochdale to collect my old, now repaired glasses from the optician . It will be good to have a decent alternative pair. Not quite the same prescription as my new ones but good enough. I am undecided about my new ones. They are fine after the refit on Monday but not perfect. I shall probably mention it again today. Later I will potter on with my sewing challenge. Challenge is a good word for pattern drafting. There is a lot to remember and work out and I have to follow my notes step by step .

Thats it, have a good day everyone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Challenge.... Tell me about it Sue. I think That's why I like the shed so much, it's a constant challenge and I think it's good for me.
I finished drilling the steam passages in my cylinder. Then I went off at a tangent. I am so pissed off with the fact that David's peg hasn't arrived that I made him two more, I was going to make him another one anyway. Actually I made three but lost one when it dropped off the bar when I was sawing it off. I spent 15 minutes on my knees and then just gave up and made another.
Prediction, David will get delivery of the original and I shall find the other peg. This is how Sod's Law works. :biggrin2:

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

They look quite elegant Stanley, a style that I suspect will suit Tripps .
Just saying 😊

Different subject - I’ve been wondering where and how Tizer is. How are you Tize, still with us?
🤔
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Is it the Hobbit effect or is the one at the back slightly longer on the peg?
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Cathy wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 09:12 They look quite elegant Stanley, a style that I suspect will suit Tripps
It will indeed. Perfick I'd say. If the one at the back is a bit bigger - that's fine. It will be used indicate the Month. Come in handy when I eventually need it.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They're hand made Ian, they are supposed to vary a little!
Yes Cathy, I think so too. They are packed up David together with a book that I suspect might interest you. Off to the post office now to find out how much courier delivery will cost. :biggrin2:
Cathy, Peter is on holiday for a week....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Peter is on holiday for a week - good to know Stanley. (Just keeping tabs on the oldies.... :laugh5: )
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pegs posted yesterday, should be with David today.
I shall be forging ahead on the engine, taking my walks and generally staying out of mischief.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning all

Another calm sunny morning. I think however this spell of dry weather is set to finish next week according to the weather forecast . Mind you it said that 10 days ago but the rain came to next to nothing, I think I will have to get the hose pipe out again tonight.

I collected my repaired glasses from the optician yesterday and took the opportunity to show them yet again ( a different person this time), that the width of the two pairs was clearly different. I explained that keeping adjusting behind the ear was not the solution as now they were too tight there and still fell off my face when I leant forward. It was clear to me and has always been clear that the side arms were too wide. Anyway, at last I had someone who saw the problem for what it was. A different adjustment was made and they now feel better. Lets hope they now stay on!

Following our walk, a round trip of 4 miles, I spent most of the rest of the day working on my challenging new master pattern to better fit my present shape which is a little smaller than the last master pattern. This master, or block as it is called, is used to make and adjust the paper patterns in my dress making. Anyway after several hours I had produced this master piece to discover it was bigger than the last one by several centimetres and not smaller.i have no idea where I went wrong . It looks like today I will be literally back to the drawing board, but that will be after my morning pilates session.

Have a good day all

Oh yes, the garden pond is now finished, wall built, and a new pump and fountain fitted. A job well done and certainly needed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Now for a close watch on water levels. I can't imagine Bob's rage if there is still a leak!

This morning was getting orientations right and drilling the lids and cylinder for tapping 7BA. Everything checked three times!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

An hour in the shed then early doors shopping at the Co-op and veggie shopping later at Chawdreys. Normal walk at noon...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A dull start to the day but the forecast rain all day is now only about 10% chance. Bob is up and out as he has to take his car for a service in Oldham for 7.30 am. He will be back with a courtesy car in time for breakfast. Meanwhile I am lying in bed writing and drinking tea before I have a shower. This morning is dance exercise but there is no zoom craft meeting. Today they have gone back to live meetings but I have declined until September. Even then it may be one of my activities that I do not return to. I shall however continue with Friday lunch out with Wendy and Keith at the Shepherds Rest. We will be meeting up there today at about 1.00 pm. Other than that I have no plans as afterwards we shall be driving over to Oldham to collect the car.

Yesterday was so nice we had alfresco lunch in my favourite corner of the garden. Later we had a BBQ tea and ate in the same spot as it gets early evening sun until about 7.30-8.00 pm.
81C2C746-B6F9-4FC6-8816-359ED483AF9C.jpeg
I did have to water with the hosepipe as many of my pots of veggie needed a good soaking. I spent the afternoon solving my master pattern making for sewing and this time I think I have it right. I now need to make the paper copy with seam allowances so that I can make it up in plain cotton fabric, the toile. Adjustments are made on that before I make the final master pattern. Its a long job and important to get it right.

So tea finished I am off for a shower. Have a good day everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that can be described as a verdant corner.... It's still clouded over here, I can believe the forecast of cloud all day.

Short spell in the shed before shopping but productive. All the drilling and tapping for lids is done and the lids and target face on the bed are all drilled clearance, 2.6mm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes, cloud forecast all day, though I see some blue sky appearing. Rain after 5.00 pm .
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

New liner working a treat. Just got a bit more mortar to remove off the walls inside
B8665526-59B7-4C29-A401-C6E1ED98686A.jpeg
6B9CD59B-08A6-4585-99BB-AD358533412B.jpeg
0DE52F24-974D-440C-A460-F6390044C8F1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Pond looks good, Sue. Well done. I love sitting by mine and falling asleep to the sound of trickling water! Beats falling asleep in front of the TV!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That's a nice looking pond, Sue. Do you have any fish in it?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Nice job, I was going to ask the same thing Kev.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 12:12 That's a nice looking pond, Sue. Do you have any fish in it?
We did but a heron cleared it out twice. Its a wild life pond so we were keen to keep the animals and sediment when we repaired it. Before the leak we used to get loads of damsel flies and dragonflies but now the plants are all young and new it will take time to reestablish. Yes China, its lovely to sit outside with the fountain on and the little waterfall flowing. Very relaxing indeed( unless you need the loo😳)

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”