WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 21:34 I saw the four packs of BB's as well today at Aldi. No red pesto though. :sad:
I had the last jar when I was in there the other day.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Grrrrr :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

😎
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No trolley rage on the site please.... :biggrin2:
What struck me was the funny set of values that keeps the posters out of the bookie's windows but allows gambling and the online gaming machines to continue to be used. All the royal family liked a flutter, the Queen Mother especially.....
Not sure if it is all this talk of death and funerals but I definitely feel my age this week.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

There is no requirement within the protocol rules for the death of a Monarch to cancel anything. Daily life for the majority should not be disrupted in the main. London of course will become the security and traffic management centre of the universe come funeral day. Logistical plans have been announced today for the great and the good.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What grabbed me was an odd bit of information that slipped out from a presenter desperately trying to find something interesting to say. We were informed that the Queen's coffin was made from oak felled on the Balmoral estate and is lined with lead which is why there were eight bearers instead of the customary six in Edinburgh yesterday.
I'm sure you all needed to know that..... (My engineer's mind immediately started to speculate about whether it was airtight and if it was, has any provision been made for the build-up of pressure which would be caused by gases released by the process of decay. It would be a bit of a disaster if the coffin exploded sometime before a week today......)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 03:46 (My engineer's mind immediately started to speculate about whether it was airtight and if it was, has any provision been made for the build-up of pressure which would be caused by gases released by the process of decay. It would be a bit of a disaster if the coffin exploded sometime before a week today......)
Venting coffins is a requirement when flying bodies back from America or where the plane reaches high altitude. The storage area in not pressurised so the danger is due to pressure differences not decaying gasses.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`What you should know about exploding caskets' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Horrific isn’t it.
They say it takes about 80yrs for the body to become a brittle skeleton, when buried in a crypt.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Yes, it is that plane.
Screenshot_20220913-182601_Flightradar24.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-182629_Flightradar24.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I heard it but couldn't see anything for the sun.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 17:41 I heard it but couldn't see anything for the sun.
It was very bright this afternoon, we were up Noyna around 16:30 and you couldn't look to the west then. I would imagine it was blinding by 18:15.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Peter.... They must have installed a safety valve.... I see they were flying at 23,000ft.
I have been avoiding the news of course but I can't help wondering whether the innovation of a lying in state in Edinburgh isn't a cunning plan to influence the Scots to make them think England regards them as equals. Brenda's last cunning plan? To die at Balmoral..... :biggrin2:
I noted that many visitors to St Giles for the lying in state were smart cookies who had decided it would be a lot easier to do it in Edinburgh than London! I think they could be right. Minimum 3 mile queues are forecast for Westminster Hall.
Later.... News that some flights over London will be diverted so as to ensure silence for the transit of the Queen from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall. What comes to mind is the phrase 'Stop the world'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think we all know the prancing horse logo used by Scuderia Ferrari. But how many of you have come across this....?

I pass a Volvo regularly that has the prancing moose logo on it and it's been intriguing me so I went looking. Have a look at THIS to see what I found......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am always struck each year by the way the daylight ebbs away and we suddenly realise we are getting towards the end of the year. It gets daylight at 07:00 in the morning and is dark by 20:00 at night. It doesn't seem long ago it was light for another three hours and dawn was three hours earlier.
Only 100 days until Xmas..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Skipton Building Society in Colne ramraided in the early hours this morning but they didn't manage to get away with the safe, it was dumped in the middle of the road. Albert Road appears to be closed until further notice. 😳
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I wondered why it was closed.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 04:39 I had forgotten to mention that what grabbed me in the news coverage is the fact that Andrew, Duke of York, is taking full advantage of the situation to get back into the forefront of royal affairs. No accident that he was in the front seat of the car carrying the royals from Dyce to Balmoral.
Andrew is stand in as signing for the Monarch if Charles is incapacitated. It should be by age , but Anne is Female and they are excluded from that role ( and I dont think that has been changed in the absolute primogeniture rule change either)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 11:22 The fact that I seem to be going more and more against the thinking of the majority.

I had the most hellish week in an ongoing battle with the NHS. Their behaviour has varied between shameful and malicious over a long period of time. I am totally stressed out, and close to breakimg point.

I've had the monarchy 'up to here' now. I guess King Charles will have no need now for Qatari bags of cash

I've reached for War of the Windsors to remind myself of the other side of the equation.

All that said - we do this dressing up and marching quite well. It will do wonders for the tourist industry especially with the pound sinking like a stone. It's an ill wind . . . . .

Back to the real world I speak of Baked Beans from Aldi. For as long as I've shopped at Aldi they were 4 cans in a pack for 99p. Yesterday they are now sold in indiviual cans (to reduce plastic packaging) and are now 37p per can.
That's an increase of 50 %. The standby food of the poor. Perhaps a herald could announce that from a Royal Palace balcony.
Anyone think that ASDA prices have gone up more than other places since the Walmart sell off ? ( I think nearest ASDA is Burnley so it depends who passes down to there rather than using Morrisons at Nelson.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Whyperion wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 19:16 Anyone think that ASDA prices have gone up more than other places since the Walmart sell off ? ( I think nearest ASDA is Burnley so it depends who passes down to there rather than using Morrisons at Nelson.
You don't have to go to Burnley, only as far as Colne for Asda, Sainsbury's, Aldi and Lidl.

Co-Op and Aldi in Barlick of course.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 19:16 Anyone think that ASDA prices have gone up more than other places since the Walmart sell off ? ( I think nearest ASDA is Burnley so it depends who passes down to there rather than using Morrisons at Nelson.
Mrs P does a one shop at Sainsburys who proudly display a board saying they price match Aldi. What a good advert for Aldi. Adding Lidl to the shopping tour would be risking your life crossing the North Valley road. The Co-Op would be asking for a heart attack walking up Windy Bank. All this adding hours to the shopping to save 5p on a tin of beans. Unless you are prepared to make shopping the highlight of the day spending hours to save coppers then you makes your choice and hopes for the best. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A dead simple choice for me and my mobility issues.... The Co-op is the nearest so it gets my patronage every Friday for early doors weekly one stop shop. Only exception is Shambles and Chaudrey's in the Town Square for light veggie and toilet roll shopping. My butcher is good to me and delivers each Friday tea time.
I have a heavy social calendar next week, Covid Booster at Colne on Wednesday. Flu jab at Well pharmacy on Thursday and a short visit to Bancroft on Sunday to have a look at Johnny's Riley Street clock which they are curating now. I wouldn't dream of attempting any of these in the cauldron that is London. Thank God I don't have to live there with that number of people.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Any fracking will be done as safely as possible"

So said a government spokes person. See THIS BBC reporton moves to enable fracking to commence.
The government claims gas could start flowing in less than six months, but experts say it would take years, is far less accessible than once thought and would do little to reduce energy bills.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Just wondering about Tripps.
He usually posts more frequently, scroll back to his last post on the 10th.
Are you OK Tripps?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've started to worry about him too Cathy....I've sent him a PM this morning.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”