Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

You're making good progress.
It's been stressful in the shed this morning, the only way I can explain is by repeating what I have said in shed matters.

A busy and quite difficult morning. You may remember that I chopped a complicated two throw crankshaft out of a solid piece of stock rather than accept the horrible little built-up shaft that was already partially in place. It was too tight a fit so this morning the first job was to find out why. I stripped it out and found that the shaft was fine, it was the fit of the two standards and possibly the centre bearing that it is mounted in that is at fault. I spent a long time fitting and refitting the outside standards until I was sure they were a good fit.
That being the case my next suspect was the centre, main bearing. In order to prove this I set to to take the centre bearing support out, refit the crankshaft on its standards and see what it was like then. I suspected that I had to lower the main bearing housing slightly to ease the fit. If you look at the images you'll see that what I found was that one of the brass studs that holds the centre standard down was broken. It took me half an hour to get it out but the last pic shows I was successful and where I was at closing time.
Good stuff but not easy and I haven't even looked at the drawings. I shall finish chasing this rabbit tomorrow and then have a look at the drawings.... A stressful morning and my shoulder hurts but so far successful and good progress.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Today I have been mainly. Doing an Aldi shop this morning then after lunch bleaching and jet washing the grey bin which was a bit smelly. Sweet as a nut now. Currently venting the attic and I am going to see if there is any Sporadic E propagation on the bands. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See what attracted your attention for the bit of good luck I had on the search for details of the fire pump. This morning I shall be in the shed pursuing the faults I know exist and then after a second sleep I shall start to dig in Edgar Westbury's articles in the Model Engineer to see what I can learn. I told you this one was going to be different!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A dull day today with occasional showers and cooler. Ideal for finishing off the cutting back in the garden after the bin men have emptied the green bin. First its a trip to the Mini garage service department because the tail gate of my car won’t lock and there are one or two other intermittent problems. Otherwise I am very happy getting about 89 miles to the gallon. We have only filled up twice and that was after two return trips to the Lakes . The electric is less than 8p a mile if charged using electric power The last few days I have been able to recharge for nothing as the solar panels have been generating more than the car has been needing.

So its the garage for 9.00 am then back home for pilates, before I tackle the garden. This evening its our u3a wine appreciation social ie a meal at the Shepherds Rest .

Thats my day , have good one
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

As you say, Sue, a bit cooler. A good start for my journey down south into the furnace today. I cleared various insect remains from the windscreen of the car yesterday evening and ended up giving the whole car a bit of a clean, that'll be why it rained overnight :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds good Sue... I hope the car problems and adjustments go well. All part of the settling in process for a complicated piece of machinery.....

An excellent morning in the shed. Just the one pic to show how little I have done! (But I was in there for more than an hour.) I am making progress, see Shed Matters for the full story and make sure Bob knows about my stroke of luck with the Model Engineer... :biggrin2:

Just seen your post Kev. I hope you survive the weekend and yes, your washing the car explains why it rained!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

At the OK Diner, on the A1 south of Grantham, for a spot o' lunch. 20 degrees and cloudy here. Had a few spots of rain on the way too.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The calm before the storm, the forecast is solid, heat for a week Kev.....
Just an hour in the shed as I shall be shopping early doors at 07:00. I shall be concentrating on easing the fit of the outer bearings in the standards that support the crank shaft. Then at 11:00 I have a cup of coffee planned with Susan and Mick in the Town Square. They are warning of rain showers but who cares.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 15 Jul 2022, 03:05 Then at 11:00 I have a cup of coffee planned with Susan and Mick in the Town Square.
That's good to hear, from that I presume Covid didn't impact them too much this time?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's right Kev, fairly mild symptoms, both testing negative and so I judged it safe to meet them with good social distancing. For one reason and another I haven't see Susan face to face for over 6 weeks..... :biggrin2:

I spent an hour on ensuring that the crankshaft was a good running fit in the standards. I started by putting a 5/16" reamer through the bearings and the rest of the time on repeated fittings and easing of the castings. At closing time I still hadn't got the fit I wanted but at least I know exactly where to start tomorrow morning! This is a complicated set of castings....Patience is the key.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

We had a good meal with the wine group, getting home about 9.15 pm. I then went online to order flowers for my university friend Sue who has been married 50 years today. I remember it was a very hot day and the big brimmed hat I was wearing flopped in the heat and never returned to normal. It took me ages to order the flowers. Interflora refused to recognise the address and post code, yet they have lived where they are for nearly 25 years . So I had to swap to M&S flowers delivery. On this site it refused to let me address the flowers to Mr and Mrs Whittaker together, wanting only one name on the online form, so annoyingly I had to send them to Sue and change the message that went with them. It took nearly an hour to do what I thought would be a simple job. If I had had my car during the day I could have done it at the local interflora florist in minutes

I was expecting my car back by 5.00 but we had to be in Todmorden for 5.45pm, so we phoned the garage before 4.00 to see what was happening. We were promised a call back which never happened. We had to leave for Tod without receiving any phone call. The phone went whilst we were in the car, about 5.30 pm. We were not impressed . We shall pick the car up today after my dance exercise class. This will be my last class before we go away and indeed before we come back in September. My present block of payment runs out and I am not paying again for one class only.

After collecting the car it will be lunch out again with Wendy, Keith and possibly Barbara and Bill. Its all eating ! We need to finalise the arrangements for France with the two couples, butBob is out at the park this evening so it helps food wise if we have had a main meal at lunch time. I believe they are running trains this evening so I hope the forecast rain stops in time. Its a funny mixed day today, showers, cloudy, sunny, light rain but I don’t suppose it will rain much. I shall water the garden this evening if it doesn’t . I see both Monday and Tuesday are now going to be the hot ones Its forecast 40+ degrees in Brittany then. I think we are in for a hot and thundery summer. I find these temperatures very worrying.

On that note I shall finish my cuppa and get up. Have a good day. Enjoy your meeting with Susan and Mick. Its good they seem to have recovered quickly.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just back home after delivering Colin to the BRI in time for a 7.45am appointment. He is having an endoscopy to check that all is well with his oesophagus and possibly a small stretch of the operation site to make swallowing easier. Fingers crossed!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall certainly do that Wendy. He will be so pleased to get back home.....
Yes Sue, I'm looking forward to seeing them.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 15 Jul 2022, 07:18 Just back home after delivering Colin to the BRI in time for a 7.45am appointment. He is having an endoscopy to check that all is well with his oesophagus and possibly a small stretch of the operation site to make swallowing easier. Fingers crossed!
🤞
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Hope all goes well Wendy.

My live dance exercise is cancelled instead it is a you tube link Taira made earlier. Its not the same social interaction . I will give it a miss, have my shower and go and collect the car.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

All the best for Col Wendy.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Been to get him back again. All is good and working as it should, now slightly stretched. What a relief, he can put that worry behind him now. :smile: :smile:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wendy, good to hear Colin’s health is doing well. 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Cathy, he had convinced himself that the cancer was back so really needed the reassurance.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful! Give him my love Wendy and I'm so glad he's had good news.
Susan Mick and I had our sit in the Town Square under the trees with a coffee and an illicit bun and we have had a good catch up, made even better by the fact I called in at the Post Office after getting a letter from the Council and they shoved £90 in my hand. It's evidently part of the government measures to keep us from revolting because of inflation!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent news Wendy, the waiting and particularly any attempts at self diagnosis are always worrying. I try to work on the glass half full principle particularly with matters that I have no control or knowledge of. Onward and upward now for Col. :good:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Preparing for our Labour Party branch social evening. A Jacobs Join event, (see Give us this Day for my contribution). Soft refreshments available, bring your own drink for a get together and games night. Sally's contribution to the raffle is a home sewn festival bag in CND print which will be loaded with a can of fruit Cider and snacks. Last time we ran one of these it was very well received. I will take my Greek island purchased wooden sphere puzzle, Sequence and draughts I reckon. More games are being brought by others. Should be jolly and maybe a good social event before we have to run a General Election Campaign.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning is turning out to be slightly different. I woke at 01:00 and had a bright idea, it seemed to me to be a good idea to get up and put my chicken into roast while it was cool. So i did that and by 02:00 was back in bed for what I thought would be an hour. I must have a good conscience and a quiet mind because I slept like a log and have only now woken up. So, first decision about the game plan for today is that there is no plan! When the chicken is well cooked I will deal with that but apart from that nothing is certain except for the fact that normal shed won't happen. I might go in and potter but that's all. I shall be more interested in going back to bed and after that veggie cooking. So that's it. forward into the unknown!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have the chicken out of the oven and have made my breakfast, no shed at all. After breakfast I'll deal with the chicken and the gravy and then go back to bed for a second sleep. A topsy turvy day but I am comfortable with it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Good news for Col and you Wendy, what a relief.

Today is due to be warm with sun and cloud. This morning we are helping at the u3a Open Day at Tod. It is a celebratory event recognising the u3a has been around for 40 years but it is also a ‘recruitment ‘ drive for our various groups. Bob is helping on the main stand as the Wine Appreciation group does not have a stand, the venue being the Methodist Chapel . I am helping on the Art stand. This afternoon I have a short appointment and then I have my last plant to cut back. The delphiniums are over and are collapsing on to my sweet corn plants. I am not sure where the cuttings will go, the brown bin is full, but will probably put them in our own compost bin which is not full.

This evening is zoom u3a wine appreciation with my sister as guest speaker on the subject of wines from Chile. A chance to sup Carmenere, one of my favourite wines.

Have a good day all

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”