WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

David Whipp

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by David Whipp »

What attracted my attention was the hot air balloons passing over earlier this morning.

The North West club is having their annual meet at Thornton Hall Farm over Easter. (These are the same people we had for the Balloons Over Barlick event.) The still and clear conditions are perfect for flying.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

David Whipp wrote:What attracted my attention was the hot air balloons passing over earlier this morning.

The North West club is having their annual meet at Thornton Hall Farm over Easter. (These are the same people we had for the Balloons Over Barlick event.) The still and clear conditions are perfect for flying.
I wondered where they were going.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Wendyf wrote:" I agree and have always been vaguely amused by the fact that Wellington-related injuries are so frequent. Ban wellies?"

How could I live without my wellies? I've never thought to be frightened of my pair, though they do get me a bit annoyed when they swop positions after I've taken them off so I get them on the wrong feet next time I put them on.
With the bad weather my waterproof overtrousers and wellies have become a single entity....that keeps them under control! :smile:
(No wine has been consumed Maz...honest )
In the mid 70's I was fishing in scotland with a fireman friend. he remarked on my removing my wellies before my over trousers. It seems it was common practice for firemen to leave the overtrousers on the boots whilst taking them off,and as you rightly point out keeps left and right aligned. This method was taken on board and used with great success ever since. Just ordered new wellies £180 reduced from £300 who says women spend a lot on footwear.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:surprised: £180!! :surprised:
Now those sound like seriously dangerous wellies..
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

For that price I would want them to walk ON water rather than in it! :surprised:
Ian
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PanBiker wrote:For that price I would want them to walk ON water rather than in it! :surprised:
OH!. That they would, Last pair coming up to 14th Birthday, not dear over that period of time, to give a slant on inflation first pair were £55 you have to pay for the hunter badge no longer green either but black in colour.
Last edited by hartley353 on 29 Mar 2013, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Lots of styles still available for around £79.00, unless you are a "Balmoral" type of bloke, multitude of colours also:

Mens Hunter Boots
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A full compliment of grandchildren today so a trip to Billy Bob's Ice Cream Parlour in the offing. It will be absolutely rammed but lots of fun to be had in the barns and maybe the chance of a hot dog!
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Wrong link Ian, unless you can get cheap Hunter wellies at Billy Bob's Ice cream shop!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It should work now Wendy, got my copy and pasting mixed up! Boots on and ready to go...
Ian
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PanBiker wrote:Lots of styles still available for around £79.00, unless you are a "Balmoral" type of bloke, multitude of colours also:

Mens Hunter Boots
You got it right balmoral sovereigns, I tried a pair on last year and they fit like gloves, when a shop in Penrith offered them at the price I quoted It was very easy to click add to basket. I'm not normally an extravagant spender, but a recent descision on my aspirations to own a dbd34, was to stop saving, and release the funds for other activities.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Alaways had wellies, never p[aid more than £8. Does anyone lese remember the Dulop Bulldozer Wellies? They were the most expensive once of a day, they had leather soles, a reinforced instep for digging and hob nails! Meant for navvies and I think the advent of the JCB probably killed them.
The landslide in Tibet. (LINK) Poor people working in terrible conditions getting it in the neck. We have a lot to be thankful for.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Yes I remember my first pair of 5/- wellies bought in barlick, they each had an eyelet at the top of each boot, whereby they could be joined together by string and hung up in the shop. First pair I owned had yellow diamonds on the side above the heels. Once while paddling in the river at Bolton Abbey they were attacked by a jack pike who had mistaken the diamond for a fish. They used to rub bare legs raw, shouldn't happen with the new ones.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Giving the cats their regular worming tablets...

Tried following Stanley's advice to use the cut off leg of a wellie, but couldn't get cats into it (should have Hunters, I suppose?). Back to wrapping a towel round them.

No flayed flesh this time, but frayed nerves (cats and us)!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Yesterday actually: The amount of snow at the bottom of the access road up on to Letcliff Park
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

David, what you need is "Granofen" sprinkle a liitle onto food and mix thoroughly. I have just seen a little boy, maybe 8 or 9 walking a full grown German Shepherd dog down Gisburn Rd, no adult in sight, that is what I call "STUPID"!!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Today my Transdev Gold Card appeared.

It allows unlimted travel across Lancashire during April :grin:

I won it, for being a 'mystery shopper' on the buses and helping them to develope their services :wink:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, the Wellie method only works if you shove them in head first.
Nelson Mandela seems to be recovering slowly.
Kev's immaculate timing, he drew up in the back street just as Jack and I returned from our walk. He doesn't get any smaller......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Kev's immaculate timing, he drew up in the back street just as Jack and I returned from our walk. He doesn't get any smaller......
I'm an inch shorter than I was 10 years ago :grin: . My youngest son (basketball player) makes me look short too...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I keep forgetting to mention that at some time on Friday night someone broke off one of the new saplings on the green. I think I understand vandalism but am always baffle by the need to kill young growing things. New saplings seem to be a target. Very sad....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Virtually all have been broken at the top half of Valley Gardens, these were done some weeks ago now.
Ian
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Stanley wrote:I keep forgetting to mention that at some time on Friday night someone broke off one of the new saplings on the green. I think I understand vandalism but am always baffle by the need to kill young growing things. New saplings seem to be a target. Very sad....
The tree planting done in the last couple of seasons on the Town Green and at Valley Gardens has been done by volunteers, including lots of children. Our next planting session is at the War Memorial next week. We'll probably get some youngsters helping out then. It's dispiriting when their efforts are trashed like this.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

For those still with an interest in the Cyprus problem, my local correspondent says McDonalds now has a breakfast menu,that should take their minds of things.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote:I'm an inch shorter than I was 10 years ago
Nah, Barlick has sunk by an inch! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, yes you're right about the saplings in the upper part of Valley Gardens. What we need are trees that fight back! In the same area I noted that the three patches of wild meadow were left to seed naturally and I look forward to seeing how they regenerate this year. A lovely idea and of course, cheap to maintain!
My attention is focussed on the annual Diabetic clinic this morning. Let's hear it for the NHS! It's working well, retinoscopy and foot blood flow assessment done. Blood samples taken and analysed and today the rest of the assessment. I look forward to a conversation with Ian Brown and to see if losing weight has made any difference. Think how much this level of service would cost under any other system.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”