WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Wendyf »

How scary it is trying to get out onto the road from the end of our track. You normally have to be very careful, taking into account the speed that people like to drive down the "big dip", but now we cant see the road at all in either direction because of huge piles of snow, so it's a bit like Russian roulette. The road itself is still not much wider than a single carriageway through high banks of snow, its shocking how fast some people are driving down it.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Toot your horn long and loud...
We had hoons in our street over Easter - the smell of burning rubber was horrible, as was the squealing of tyres and there are black marks all over the road.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The enormous number of people who have signed an online petition asking Ian Duncan Smith to live on £53 a week for a year, over 350,000 on one site alone! He says it is a 'stunt'. (LINK) A pretty convincing one!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

This: I was sent it from some very nice people. Please share
Have a Field Day 2013

50 words

Have a Field Day brings communities together; gets people enjoying themselves in the fresh air; celebrates outdoor spaces; keeps the Olympic spirit alive and encourages people to be active – all in one day of fun and games! Register an event on your local FIT Field and get a free goodie box: www.fieldsintrust.org/fieldday

100 words

Have a Field Day from Fields in Trust brings communities together; helps people enjoy themselves outdoors; celebrates green spaces; keeps the Olympic spirit alive and gets people active – all in one day of fun and games! Held on sites protected forever by Fields in Trust they are a great way to build community spirit and have fun in the fresh air.

Register your event now at http://www.fieldsintrust.org/register_your_event.aspx and you’ll get a free goodie box crammed full of items like bunting, games, and medals to make your day great. We’ll also help you plan and organise your day with a free toolkit of tips and ideas, posters and invites.

Be part of it at: www.fieldsintrust.org/fieldday

200 words

Fun, fields and fresh air – it’s all there at Have a Field Days! They can be held on any outdoor recreational space, whether that’s a park, a sports field, a nature reserve, or a coastal walk that is protected by Fields in Trust...you can make your Day whatever suits the site and the community.

Register your event now at http://www.fieldsintrust.org/fieldday and you’ll get a free goodie box crammed full of items like bunting, games and medals to make your day great. We’ll also help you plan and organise your day with a free toolkit of tips and ideas and posters and invites.

Launched last year 94% of Have a Field Day organisers felt it helped them build new relationships, so get organising!

How can I be part of it?

Organise an event - find your local FIT field by putting your postcode into www.fieldsintrust.org and start planning! Use the HAFD toolkit downloadable from www.fieldsintrust.org/fieldday and make the day whatever you want it to be. Dog shows, obstacle races, three legged races, sports tasters, coconut shys, woodland walks, bird spotting...Have a Field Days are all about enjoying yourself outdoors and celebrating your protected green space.

Register the event online with us and get your free goodie box worth over £100 and crammed full of helpful items like bunting, medals and games.

250-300 words

Fun, fields and fresh air – it’s all there at Have a Field Days! They can be held on any outdoor recreational space, whether that’s a park, a sports field, a nature reserve, coastal walk that is protected by Fields in Trust...you can make your Day whatever suits the site and the community.

Register your event now at http://www.fieldsintrust.org/register_your_event.aspx and you’ll get a free goodie box crammed full of items like bunting, games and medals to make your day great. We’ll also help you plan and organise your day with a free toolkit of tips and ideas and posters and invites.

Launched last year 94% of Have a Field Day organisers felt it helped them build new relationships, so get organising!

How can I be part of it?

Organise an event - find your local FIT space by putting your postcode into www.fieldsintrust.org and start planning! Use the HAFD toolkit downloadable from www.fieldsintrust.org/fieldday and make the day whatever you want it to be. Dog shows, obstacle races, three legged races, sports tasters, coconut shys, woodland walks, bird spotting...Have a Field Days are all about enjoying yourself outdoors and celebrating your protected green space.

Register the event online with us and get your free goodie box worth over £100 and crammed full of helpful items like bunting, medals and games.

Get involved

Pop your postcode into the FIT website, look for the HAFD icon and find your nearest event. You can help your community come together and celebrate having fun in the fresh air by volunteering at your nearest Have a Field Day. You could offer to bake something, judge a dog show, man a stall...helping hands are always needed!

Spread the word

Do you think protecting and enjoying outdoor recreational space is important? If you support the idea of communities getting together and having fun, help us raise awareness of Have a Field Day.

Include a link to www.fieldsintrust.org/fieldday in your ezines or on your website

Let people know about it on your facebook pages

Tweet about it, or follow us on @fieldsintrust and RT anything we use the hashtag #HAFD on twitter.

Tweets

Fancy a day of fun, games & fresh air? Hold a #HAFD on your local FIT field & get a goodie box of gr8 items! http://bit.ly/VebEXL

Make ur summer event a #HAFD & get a goodie box of bunting, games & medals worth over £100! http://bit.ly/VebEXL Pls RT

Come 2gether with ur community on ur local FIT field 4 a #HAFD - a day of fun & games http://bit.ly/VebEXL

Celebrate ur locally protected FIT field with a #HAFD - a day of fun, fresh air & games! Find out more http://bit.ly/VebEXL
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My round trip to Stratford and back. 3 wagon pile up on the M6 with one over central reservation on its side carrying Heinz baked beans. South bound down to two lanes with 40 minute delay. Northbound single lane with what looked like a lot more in the tailback once we got through. That was at the top end of our bit of the M6 one up from the M62 junctions. Nothing flagged on the AA roadwatch before we set of but came on my RDS traffic alerts just as I left the end of the M65 onto the M6 southbound. AA did say there had been an accident down on the M42 which was part of our intended route but that was at 7.30am and we thought it may have cleared before we got to the junction. It became clear on the radio that there was still going to be about an hour delay so we decided not to use the toll and pay £4.80 for the privilege of hitting the delay earlier so we went round via Birmingham. This was fine other than all lanes were narrowed for the best part of a 10 mile run up on the Birmingham approaches. Came off at the NEC and onto the A445 and headed for Coventry, then Warwick, Leamington and then picked up the A46 to Stratford. Good job we know our way about this bit of Warwickshire reasonably well. Surprisingly this free detour worked out 5 miles shorter than if we had done the M6Toll, M42, M40 and then the A's.
M42 had the delays all day and the wagon on its side up at the top end was still there so we came back via the M1, came of at Wakefield junction and over the top to Bradford, the old way to/from the M1 from Barlick.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, it all reinforces my belief that the glory days of motoring have gone and the best decision I have made in recent years was to kick the motor and all my licences into touch. Of course I don't have to go anywhere...
I did the BBC class calculator to see what it had to say about me. Not sure what I think about it beyond the fact that it is evidently keeping a lot of sociologists happy. It ways I am part of the precariat, the pooreat and most deprived. This is obviously rubbish because I am neither poor or deprived! Perhaps what it demonstrates most clearly is that class is in the eye of the beholder. I still maintain that I am working class aristocracy! (I have a nagging suspicion that regardless of what else you put in, ticking an income of less than £10k automatically makes you part of the bottom class.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:I did the BBC class calculator to see what it had to say about me.)
It says I'm Established Middle Class, has a certain ring to it :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A collectors item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POSTCARD-LANC ... 0515585625
Pictures by me and design by Calluna. Now there's a thing. Anyone interested in buying signed copies let me know :grin:
Last edited by Big Kev on 04 Apr 2013, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It says there isn't a class for me! :wink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Kev, get some publicity for yourselves and Barlick by sending a copy of the card to the `Picture Postcard Monthly' magazine's editor:
Brian Lund
Picture Postcard Monthly
15 Debdale Lane
Keyworth
Nottingham NG12 5HT

He likes to have cards to illustrate the magazine. Also send a copy, preferably signed, to Mark Routh who writes on modern postcards for the magazine and is a collector:
Mark Routh
Raphael Drive
Shoeburyness
Southend-on-Sea
Essex SS3 9UR

It helps if you give them a bit of information about you and Heather designing the card and why it was published etc.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Looks nice, if there's a link to get one sent out I would have tweeted it :wink:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev and Tiz, no surprises there then!
What intrigued me this morning was the report that forecourt sales of petrol have dropped 25% in the last five years. Lots of reasons of course but it's a hell of a reduction!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Streetlife Breaker Breaker - Uk
7" Single + Cdr Copy: Uk 1981 B/w Cats And Dogs (ap185) (early 80's Group) Airship This Is A... Special Order 7"+CDR NEW £25.57 cdBBQ
USA

OK, if we are advertising collectibles have a look at this 2,500% increase in value since released. I'll sign a copy if anyone wants to buy!! Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The Aldi appeal against planning permission rejection is on Tuesday at 10 in the Rainhall Centre
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The smell of the beef that has been slow-roasting all night in the oven.
My lodger cat hunting birds on the roofs of the houses opposite.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Amazing what a bit of Sun can do.

Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:What intrigued me this morning was the report that forecourt sales of petrol have dropped 25% in the last five years. Lots of reasons of course but it's a hell of a reduction!
I don't know why they are reporting the sale of petrol without reporting diesel. Petrol sales have fallen because many folk have done what I've done - switched from 40mpg on petrol to 65 mpg on diesel. I don't like diesel, I'm sensitive to the smell and it puts out a lot of particulates in the exhaust but it allows a big decrease in fossil fuel use and CO2 emissions. I've always considered diesel cars as inferior but no longer after getting a diesel Golf.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

It is possible to get 60 mpg from my 1400cc petrol car. My volkswagon combi van averages 38-42 mpg on its normal around the city mileage, for a turbo diesel my dealer says it is good mpg. I have seen little benefit in changing to diesel, probably long distance top gear motoring would be better,but that is not what I got it for.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

hartley353 wrote:It is possible to get 60 mpg from my 1400cc petrol car. My volkswagon combi van averages 38-42 mpg on its normal around the city mileage, for a turbo diesel my dealer says it is good mpg. I have seen little benefit in changing to diesel, probably long distance top gear motoring would be better,but that is not what I got it for.
My 11 year old 1.9TDI Golf gives me 50mpg round town, I got 58mpg on the run down to Kent on Friday.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that DEFRA are refusing to help farmers dispose of dead sheep and lambs. You'd think that farming for food was an add-on extra that we don't really need. They aren't asking for compensation, just some help to clear up a problem largely caused by a regulation.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Stanley wrote:The fact that DEFRA are refusing to help farmers dispose of dead sheep and lambs. You'd think that farming for food was an add-on extra that we don't really need. They aren't asking for compensation, just some help to clear up a problem largely caused by a regulation.
Did you hear of the Welsh, who had to take legal advice to see if they could allow their farmers to bury the dead livestock and it has caused a huge delay. The Sunday morning farming programme on Radio 4 was quite tragic

Then we have DEFRA saying that there is a 7 day window to bury the dead stock, but many upland farms still have snow.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Under the new rules, I may be allowed to claim PIP's :confused:
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

I know it's a load of balls but it appears incredible !!
http://www.go4joke.com/index.php/videos ... s-possible
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bodge, I agree. One trick pony?
My trip to the Doc's to discuss my test results from Diabetes clinic. All readings improved and well within parameters, I suspect I have better results than him! So, whatever I am doing must be working. So far so good! Could my ideas on nutrition be correct? Perhaps the reading wasn't a waste of time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

When someone well known dies in this country, it is now almost traditional to publicly dissect their lives and character. If it is a politician, it will depend upon their political leanings as what amount of praise or bile issues forth, it is rarely taken into account just how much the deceased person tried hard to get it right, and in many cases there are few of us who could have done better if given the chance. In some communities in this country, the old saying "if you kick one, they will all limp" is very true, and even worse, this is passed down through the following generations. I was frankly appalled last night when on the news, someone who was not even born during Mrs.Thatchers time in office, stated this "I am glad she's dead", in Brixton they "partied" in Bristol they rioted! It is my belief that whilst such attitudes exist, getting this country back on track is damn near impossible.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”