Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

The question with me will be where is the vaccination site.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Usually in your upper arm but for you they may be able to arrange something special. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
I shall be waiting until it's available at the surgery. It would be too ironic to avoid infection for almost a year and then get infected travelling to a remote vaccination site.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You could just as easily catch it at the local surgery. A larger remote site such as a hospital may be a safer option actually due to the organisation regime. The arrangements at LGI when I went for my scan recently were exemplary and I felt a lot safer in there due to the arrangements than out on the street.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

With regard to covid, popping into a UK hospital for vaccination is safer than going into a supermarket.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 22:02 For those who like to ponder over statistics the list below shows the number of people in Pendle for each age group. These numbers become relevant when considering the distribution logistics of the covid vaccine. The over 80+ at 4,256 may be more difficult to reach because of their location in care homes or restricted mobility. Other groups although larger may be more mobile and easier to reach.
Age Distribution (E 2019) (Pendle Statistics )

80+ years 4,256
I understand the UK has 300000 doses so that is only enough for 150000 persons. 50 sites in England at hospitals. So assume 300 local authorities, each with 4000 over 80s that is 1 200 000 people , that seems like only 12.5% of persons so far will have enough. Back to the bank for more money but have not the manufacturer run out (for a while) of the raw materials - I assume carriers. The Oxford vaccine has still not got approved stage yet (why not ? what is the delay ?) Speaking of Vacine Side effects can anyone explain why there are apparent acusations on the internet re earlier flu / sars vaccines that supposedly caused brain damage - fake news or iffy chemicals in the carrier make up or minor unexpected results with at least a correlation ?
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 10:38 We know the university research departments and vaccine manufacturers have been under repeated cyber attack from foreign agents trying to access useful technical information and the NCF and GCHQ have been `on the case'.

is this simply to pinch the formula for use or sale in their home country , or is it more sinister. I am still not convinced that the virus was not manufactured either in Russia or China possibly for biological or economic gain, if so , vaccine development halts their world take over plan (themselves having supposed working vaccines already). Its difficult to avoid a theory if it can fit such evidence - circumstantial or otherwise - and disproving such is difficuly giving the track record of false denials on much other things in the past by such authorities,
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 20:45 I understand the UK has 300000 doses so that is only enough for 150000 persons. 50 sites in England at hospitals. So assume 300 local authorities, each with 4000 over 80s that is 1 200 000 people , that seems like only 12.5% of persons so far will have enough.
Looking at it a different way but getting similar results the true picture isn't too rosy.
The total number of people age 80+ in the UK = 3.37 million UK population As far as I can see the UK has a delivery of 5 million doses, Quantity With two doses per person the UK would need 6.74 million but remember the front liners and care homes come first. It also assumes that there will be no wastage. The numbers indicate that there will be a significant shortfall in the initial roll out. :sad:

Sorry Stanley but its back in your shed for you. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's OK Ken. I am quite happy to wait until we have a local delivery system.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Covid-19 vaccine: First person receives Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine in UK

BBC News
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you noticed how everyone is cheering the vaccine on but nobody is pointing out that the start of vaccination doesn't mean we can relax any of our personal measures. I fear what might happen over Xmas if many people relax their guard. We need the safeguarding measures more than ever, the vaccination isn't an automatic 'get-out-of-gaol-free' card.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

To be fair, Tony Matt Hancock did exactly what you describe on the main Today interview this morning. First he pointed out that after the first jab you have to wait some time before having the second jab and then that also takes time before it begins to act. He stressed that even then we don't know if the vaccine will prevent people spreading the virus. Finally, he made it clear that we shouldn't lower our guard and must keep on social distancing, masking etc.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I believe they are also going to issue recipients with a reminder card for the booster dose which will also have relevant information regarding maintaining the status quo on vigilance. I would be worried if they were giving it to to the 20 - 30 year olds first. There is something to be said that with age comes wisdom, lets hope so anyway. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

And to cap it all there is some government minister suggesting that once vaccinated you could be given some sort of card as proof of vaccination. He doesn't quite call it a passport but there is a lot of the fantasy media brigade implying that firms could request seeing them and refuse service if you didn't have one. Imagine an old couple planning a restaurant for their golden wedding and inviting their next door neighbours as a treat for taking care of them in their dotage, The restaurant says sorry but you four young people can come in but its a takeaway for the old couple.
Then there is pictures of crocodile lines of over 80s walking up Salterforth drag because the bus company won't take them into Barlick.

How stupid do you have to be to be a cabinet minister. :dunce:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's not on the cards at the moment (no pun intended) because we won't know for a long time whether or not vaccinated individuals can still carry and spread the virus. Also even if the vaccine does the full job, i.e. is what they call a sterilising vaccine (and the anti-vaxers will have fun with that description), they would have to hold back issuing the card until the full time had elapsed for the vaccine to work (several weeks). Another problem - counterfeiters and scammers will have a field day with the card and big money will change hands for a false card.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just received a postal flyer from Pendle Community Support Hub quoting a link www.pendle.gov.uk/coronavirus. a useful link explaining the why's and wherefore's of the virus restrictions. I'm now developing xenocovid phobia, Have I invented a new word?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The 'blurb' on the .gov website says to still wear a mask, keep your distance and wash your hands after you're vaccinated.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... accination
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes and that's what I would do Kev but I fear a lot of people will simply revert to 'normal' behaviour too soon.
I've had the same flyer Ken. I always have a problem of what to do with them. I look at the advice on shielding and wonder if I want or need any of it. I suppose if they change one person's life they are worth it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There are a lot of people following 'normal' behaviour already...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unfortunately true Kev. I shall not be joining them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the same subject. A very sensible statement from Chris Witty emphasising the need to maintain precautions despite the good news about vaccines. We are entering the most dangerous part of the year in terms of load on the NHS and it would be stupid to lower our guard now.
I hope Joe Public is listening and taking notice.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Probably not. Sadly the majority of the populace are unable to grasp the consequences of their actions. I'm alright Jack...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS NPR report of the highest daily number of deaths recorded anywhere in the world. 3,054 in one day.
How much blame must Trump accept for this?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I am a little bit confused about recent reported deaths.

Some 3000 deaths have been reported with Covid on the death certificate, but for the same period total deaths are 2000 above the 5 year average, this implies a couple of things, either earlier deaths in the year with covid would have pegged out over that period anyway, or the long term trend was falling - possibly true, or with behavioural change other causes of death were reduced.

Back to vaccine - does any vaccine for air-borne diseases ( and there are not that many ), guarantee that the disease wont get caught, or that there wont be an infectious period, all vaccines may provide protection for most people developing the serious symptoms, and enable recovery far quicker , and that is what test evidence suggest - I still dont know why some people statistically in control groups Do develop symptoms to a heavier degree - is there chemical or medical reason for this. It has also been reported about allergic reactions - again this could either be to the deactivated DNA/RNA chemical chain at it arises from non-normal natural sources, but it is more likely the carrier chemicals used - again has anything identified the clear causation chain as I understand this is common in other present ways of vaccine adminstration.

Its also been reported that the Oxford vaccine on its 2nd review does not appear to have the same statistical protection, but does this matter if it is 70^ as that should be enough for general community immunity and it appears that it is more like 90% for failure to develop fatal symptoms. Again is it the nature of the virus that makes it difficult to control, or predisposition of certain host characteristics inability to form effective responses to the virus ?
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 05:28 See THIS NPR report of the highest daily number of deaths recorded anywhere in the world. 3,054 in one day.
How much blame must Trump accept for this?
Some , where he instructed state governors or did not support others to take effective social measures, but some blame must be attributed to state and county administrators and leaders. The American healthcare system takes some of the blame, less on covid as such but the other health care issues that folk have and the costs of treatments thereof.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”