Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

First job was to put the witness marks on the eccentric strap, I forgot to do them yesterday. Then I spent and hour converting the rough bronze castings in the kit to the two halves of a brass bearing that will fit the crank pin in the crankshaft. Every face had to be made square, the correct size and properly finished. I got there just before closing time. Now for breakfast!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

We had a barely noticeable fine drizzle on and off all day yesterday. It was so light I got most of my washing dry outside, ironed then aired in the conservatory where it was very warm till about 6. Bob trimmed the front hedge and a couple of shrubs in the back garden. Today sounds much like yesterday but cooler. We tried our new , free, clothes on luckily they fit……..

Today I REALLY will clean my sewing room and may possibly start packing the few bits and pieces we are taking to France.

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hee hee..... that sewing room has been eluding you so far Sue! Best of luck with it.
As usual I read your programme and then go to bed to ponder on it. I'll see you later!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am at that time of day when I log Off and go into the front room for TV. I shall light the stove..... it's come in cold again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed as usual at 06:00 doing useful things....
We may be seeing a change in the weather and so a walk and a sit could be on the cards later. I need to post a letter bas well.....
(It's just struck me that posting a letter is getting to be an old-fashioned occupation......)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning's job was to make the head of the crank pin bearing round and then drill and tap it to accept a 3/16" X 40tpi plug. Next, make the plug and fit it. Dead easy you might say. All I can say is go out and do it and you might change your mind! But it's done and now I shall have my breakfast.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

The sewing room had a thorough clean with everything except the large pieces of furniture being moved. It took several hours, that fabric dust gets everywhere.

This morning is french conversation at Haslingden, the last for the summer but it will continue on zoom which I may or may not attend. I don’t want o spend purs online because of course I have my pilates and yoga too. I will get plenty of ´live ‘ practice in anyway

This afternoon I shall done some packing sorting and zoom yoga is at 5.15 pm.

Its sunny now, not sure of the forecast, yesterday was drier than I expected. Bob tells me showers later this afternoon and 18/19 degrees . Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Sue, that dust was a problem in the mill as well and you have just the same problem but on a smaller scale. My mother used to call it 'dirt down', the technical name for it is 'fly'.
We are promised a good day as well. I may get away without the CH coming on or having to light the stove.....
But now as usual as you set off into the day I am going back to bed..... Have a good day and enjoy yourself!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have been for my walk, had a sit on traffic duty, posted my letter and done a bit of essential shopping at the Co-op. I'm having dinner now and then I think a dad nap is in order!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed as usual at 06:00. Two things I have to fit in this morning are a haircut and a visit by Robin my chiropodist. After that it's catch as catch can.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Packing all done yesterday. Today I will probably clean out the fridge and do other small jobs usually done before we go away for the summer. I have pilates and yoga at the studio at tea time so I may well do genealogy and french during the day. The genealogy problem is quite a challenge but I am slowly making progress. I am trying to identify who the wartime father was of my friend based on her DNA results. Its a bit like Long Lost Families. She does not want to make contact but would just like some answers. Most of the family trees of the DNA matches are private , but one person has sent me his tree. That one reply has opened a few boxes and slowly I am getting some where. I do love a challenge.

Its a wet morning drying up this afternoon. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You sound organised as usual Sue. Good luck with the genealogical links.

One image this morning of the bearing brass for the crank pin. It is ready for fitting to the engine once the connecting rod is made. I had to make this first and then make the foot of the con rod to fit the bearing and not the other way round. Note the witness marks to ensure it is always fitted correctly.... Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed as usual at 06:00 doing useful things to my engine. I am struck by the fact that I must soon order another set of castings, this engine isn't far off completion! Time flies. We are promised much better weather and a walk and traffic duty are on the cards. It may be time for veggie shopping as well! I shall take a view when I have sat today's meals out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning I spent 30 minutes refining the fit of my crankshaft assembly in the engine bed. Than I measured up, did a fag packet drawing and started looking for my con rod in the rectangular blank Stuart's supply. The image shows where I got to, I shall continue tomorrow. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

All jobs completed apart from washing our towels this morning and packing the car, Claire is popping over sometime and we will give her the few bits of food we have left We are at the hairdressers for 2, and are leaving straight from there and driving to Coventry where we will have a meal with family and stay in a local Premier Inn.

Tomorrow we will drive to Portsmouth via Southampton and a Brick Works Museum for sight seeing and lunch. The ferry is at night. 30 degrees are forecast for Friday at La Gacilly, with a good week forecast . We are away till September with a few visitors at different times, not our usual 8 in one week. Wendy is now struggling to walk well so they are still debating wether to come. They could not decide until after a couple of hospital appointments this week. Barbara and Bill couldn’t come in August as they are expecting their first great grandchild in our usual August week so they are coming next week. Jane can’t come next week as she is teaching on a wine course so is coming in August.

I gather next weeks weather is good here, enjoy, though this morning is a misty start with limited view over the hills. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Sue, I think we are all looking forwards to a bit of summer. I think we can be fairly sure of 4 days..... We have a but of cloud here in Barlick at the moment but no doubt it will improve shortly.
I hope today gores smoothly and that you have a good journey out to France.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Enjoy Sue, you should have a good crossing. We enjoyed our stay in Vannes, and all the surrounding areas we visited, lovely area.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back up and off out for a walk, traffic duty and some heavy non perishable veggies from the Town Square.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Gloria wrote: 17 Jul 2024, 07:31 Enjoy Sue, you should have a good crossing. We enjoyed our stay in Vannes, and all the surrounding areas we visited, lovely area.
Yes its lovely round there, did you go on the boat trip on the Gulf. We often take a local ferry to one of the islands that I love. Hope the ferry crossing met your expectations after my review🤣
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back up and off out for a walk, traffic duty and some heavy non perishable veggies from the Town Square. Very warm out there! :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sue wrote: 17 Jul 2024, 10:43
Gloria wrote: 17 Jul 2024, 07:31 Enjoy Sue, you should have a good crossing. We enjoyed our stay in Vannes, and all the surrounding areas we visited, lovely area.
Yes its lovely round there, did you go on the boat trip on the Gulf. We often take a local ferry to one of the islands that I love. Hope the ferry crossing met your expectations after my review🤣
Yes we did, lovely cruise about.
The ferry crossing was quiet, not many on either way. Good sleep going, and nice relax on comfy seating on way back. Food fine, all in all good crossings.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Excellent Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed at 06:00 as usual. Not sure yet whether tomorrow or Saturday is my cooking day. I shall take a view later. My chicken is defrosting in the fridge, all I am sure of is that I should order my meat off Stuart for delivery tomorrow. Otherwise it looks like a nice day and traffic management and a walk will be on the cards. Probably with the rest of the veggie shopping.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Mags

Post by Mags »

Today I am baby sitting duty for my great niece and nephew, its very rainy today so no chance of going to the playground. Mum is working and dad has a job interview so Margi is on duty with her very capable assistant Katie.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds like essential war work! Best of luck with it Mags and I hope you have a nice day.
One of the best things about retirement is that you can please yourself what you do.... :biggrin2:
I have exercised that freedom this morning and declared it a holiday from shed work, an early breakfast and then a return to bed for more sleep. It's good for my soul!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”