WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tardis

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tardis »

Police cars appear to have stayed overnight outside a house on Wellhouse Square
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tried to post during the tennis final, but for some reason wasn't able to. I was feeling sympathy for the line judges who despite the 30 - 40C temperature, still had collars fastened and ties on. I now see that D Cameron also had his tie on - in contrast to the G8 meeting in N Ireland, when he made all the leaders take them off. I wonder what that gathering cost - when that is all I can remember about it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He was in open necked shirt for most of the game but put tie and jacket on towards the end.... (I should get out more....)
The large bluebottle that came in while the door was open! Not killed it yet....
Costa Concordia captain in court. (LINK)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:The large bluebottle that came in while the door was open! Not killed it yet....
No need to make a mess by killing it...a firm tap with the fly swot will render the beast unconscious, then use the swot to transfer it to the outdoors where the birds will enjoy it for dinner!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Did anyone notice that Englands current time is on the forum page??
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes Cathy, but I thought yours would show Australian time!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Time shown on the Forum page is known as Guest time and is that shown to anyone not logged on to the board. It is currently set to GMT with DST (British Summer Time) enabled.

Once logged in, the settings enabled in the user control panel will take precedence so if Cathy has Aussie time set it should show that. If she hasn't bothered to set it up it may be showing the default Guest time.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My problem is seeing it to swat it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

OK, at this very moment the time on the forum page says 9.51am, my computer clock (Australian time) says 7.21pm.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Barlick in Bloom judging day

Good luck
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

YouGove poll:
Agree Disagree Don't know
BBC programmes are better than ten years ago 23 36 9
Licence fee offers good value for money 43 48 9
Top BBC executives are paid too much 72 1 16
BBC TV and radio stars are paid too much 70 2 15
Police should investigate alleged criminal wrongdoing in BBC severance pay 69 16 15
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A friend who has just returned from a surfing holiday in Morocco tells me he was shocked to see how many of the holidaymakers there were not using suntan cream and were suffering awful sunburn. What surprised him most was that many of them were Australians who surely should know better.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I note that Canadian Railways say it was the driver's fault the oil train ran away because he never set the brake. That figures, blame the driver. Have they never heard of fail-safe safety systems? Too easy lads, you gave him a system that wasn't safe! ( If you get in touch with me I'll explain how you can do it for a large fee)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

You are right Tizer, those Australian sunbathers should have known better. Maybe they thought that the sun's rays weren't as strong as they are here in Oz, silly people.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You would be shocked by the statistics of our generation of Australians who took on board the health messages shoved down out throats to avoid the sun, cover up, wear hats and apply sunscreen in the past thirty years. Whilst Melanoma is a killer, so many of us now have severe Vitamin D deficiencies. I have Osteopenia as a result, as do many of my peers, and it is now becoming evident that our children do also. I now have to take Vitamin D orally every day and make a point of getting some sunshine. We live in the sunniest country on earth and I am quite suspicious about all public health messages these days. I think we have gone too far in a lot of areas. Obviously, sunburn is unpleasant...but it does feel good to get sunshine on our bodies and I would have preferred to have spent years carefully enjoying it than ending up with Osteopenia.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The Bloom booklet:

Found online at the Visit Barlick website, it is almost 10meg pdf file:

http://www.visitbarnoldswick.co.uk/2012Bloom.pdf

Lots of pictures of the town
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Yesterday evening I watched a TV program called Your Money Their Tricks. Whilst watching I was attending to my mail, one piece of mail was the reminder fo my AA membership which auto renews if I do nothing. This years charges amounted to £127.41, as advised by the presenter I went on line and applied for the same services as a prospective new client, price quoted £80.00. With this imformation in hand I called AA services, my query was dealt with by a very pleasant lady. After listening to my facts she duly agreed to reset my cover to renew at £80.00, she did try to sell me a variety of household services which I politely declined.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Rang the Ministry of Pensions to change bank account details.

“Them” This is the Pension service calls will cost etc etc. Basic options.
“Them” Choose more options 1, 2 3.
“Them” How can I help you.? (no music Fantastic)
“Me” I’d like to change etc:
“Them” Sorry ring off and choose option 1
“Me” What department have I got?
“Them” General enquiries.
“Me” but I chose option 1, can you transfer me?
“Them” Sorry I can’t there’s a fault with this option. Other people are having the same difficulty. Try again this afternoon.
“Me” Why did you tell me to try option 1. Can you reimburse the cost of this call? After all it is your fault.
“Them” Sorry I’m not authorised to do that.
“Me” (Blood pressure soaring by the second) Thank you Goodby.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Report that cows had been 'improved' at Great Yorkshire Show by using 'glue' to improve the appearance of milk cows udders. It was presented as cruelty to animals. I suspect that someone didn't know a lot about cows.... In my day, when showing an animal for sale it was accepted practice to seal the teats with collodion and on occasion, a strategic dab would straighten a crooked teat up. I never saw an animal distressed by this practice. Indeed, in an in calf beast nature seals the teats with a natural glue we called 'clam'. This was to prevent ingress of bacteria but to prove a beast's udder you had to draw the teat thus breaking the seal. Standard practice was to re-seal it with collodion. Milk cows weren't milked on the morning of the sale so that the bag was inflated by milk and gave a better idea of conformation, if the pressure got too much the milk started to leak long before the beast showed any sign of discomfort. Someone is going over the top here!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gosh, the people you meet on your travels. On my bus trip this morning a lady started a conversation with me, and began to explain why she was wearing 2 woolly hats. She suffers from bad headaches and the warmth from the hats helps to keep them at bay, also due to heart problems she can't take anything stronger than panadol, which doesn't help her anyway. She went on to say that sometimes she uses an old remedy that one of her elders (Indigenous Australians) used when they lived on the mission. It involves placing a special sized and polished stone on the front of the head just above the forehead and tying it very tightly with a length of material, like a scarf, eventually the headaches goes away. Fascinating. It was interesting to hear her talk about a lot of country town/bush areas that she had lived in and she spoke about them as if they were 'just up the road'. The lady is an aboriginal artist and took some prints of her work to show me from her bag. I asked her to explain the story she had painted, on the bottom right hand side of each picture was a male face I recognised. She said that his name was David Unaipon (Ngunaitpon) and went on to explain that his picture is on our $50 notes and she is one of his great-grandaughters.
He was a preacher, inventor and writer/lecturer and did a great deal in his life to help his aboriginal people. It's amazing who you meet sometimes...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful Cathy, and you were so lucky to meet her. I have tremendous sympathy for the Aboriginal people of Australia. We did them no favours when we parachuted in and stole their land and rights off them. It's a shameful history and even though it is now recognised the effects linger on as you know full well. And we said we were 'civilising' them.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How nice to have another pleasant summer day in prospect.
Not sure that Boeing will see it this way. The 787 Dreamliner is in trouble again and their shares have dropped 6%. Mind you, their rivals won't be shedding tears. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, Cath, those Australian tourists in Morocco were well-off, educated professionals, at least one of them a surgeon, yet they were getting terribly sunburnt - in the words of my friend who related the tale, "Their skin was peeling off them in sheets". The problem seems to be how to get people to moderate their exposure to UV without going to extremes one way or the other.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The top stones on the bridge over the beck at Pickles Hippins have been redone, and the newly instituted gravel are on Calf Hall Lane has been covered with soil
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The Canal and River Trust are consulting on their winter work programme

Map:

http://waterscape.com/media/documents/24989.pdf

consultation:

http://waterscape.com/things-to-do/boat ... d-stoppage

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”