Post by Marilyn »

Glad you are safe, Cazza!
What a night eh?!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2014/2015

Post by Wendyf »

Glad to hear your families are all safe Cathy & Maz, and hope you can return home soon.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

No doubt we will hear stories of folk fleeing in their pyjamas and carrying boxes of treasured photos under one arm and their cat or dog under the other, Wendy!
LizG

Post by LizG »

Glad everyone is safe. Just watching the fires on the news. Horrible.
Liz
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wind speed picking up. Expected to reach 110 kilometres/hr.
Firefighters may have to withdraw from fighting the fire due to the dangers of fighting an uncontrolled and unpredictable fire front in those winds. One report said it was too risky for water-bombing aircraft.
Evacuees still not able to return home as homes are still under threat.
( 5 homes lost around Kersbrook).

I had to smile though when one man rang in from the evacuation centre to speak to a reporter.The evacuation centre has been set up in a sports stadium, so imagine the acoustics. All I could hear in the background was dogs howling for their breakfast! They almost drowned the poor mans voice out.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

They are describing the fire as a Catherine Wheel, its throwing ahead a lot of spot fires and making it very difficult for the water bombers to see the head of each fire because of the thick smoke. The wind is making the fire head towards 21 hills communities at the moment but the wind is erratic. Might have a dry thunderstorm around lunchtime too. Our main local public park is full of horses etc at the moment (bless 'em).
Oh our beautiful beautiful Adelaide Hills:(
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Things still looking pretty grim. Haven't been able to communicate with son, but know he is safe. I expect he fled without his phone recharger, and likely his phone has run out of juice.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cazza...as an evacuee...have you pinned a label to yourself with an oversized safety pin?
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's OK, daughter has a set of reigns on me, I won't get far :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

And how is scatty cat getting along with the dog?
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Haha, they haven't met yet, but the dog knows that there is 'something' in the spare room.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, what my mother used to call a 'lazy wind', sooner go through you than round.
Cathy, poor lass! I would hate it! Hope you get back to an undamaged house as soon as possible. Lots to be said for Barlick, no bush fires here....
Dry with a very cold wind this morning. Glass is steady hovering between 20.4" and 29.5". Forecast is for a high probability of rain until dinnertime with the SW wind abating but swinging NW, exacted high of 3C but it will feel a lot colder. You'd think it is cold enough for sleet or snow.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Post by LizG »

Back fence.jpg
Our turn for the fires. This is the view from our back fence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Liz
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good Luck Liz. Follow all the instructions the Authorities say, don't hang around longer than you have to. Let us know how things go, when you can.
Things seem to have calmed down in my area but we are expecting a storm and that makes things unpredictable still so I am still at my daughters for the time being.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We think our friends may have lost their beautiful country homestead. The husband just rang us...it was a bad connection...and he was very emotional...suffering exhaustion too. He fought until the power went off and he couldn't man his three pumps. He had to abandon hope and make a dash for safety because he thought he may have a heart attack if he watched it burn. The last thing he saw was one of his sheds burning. ( he described 100ft flames)
However, there has been no official word as to the state of his property, and who knows...wind may have changed and the water he pumped about may have been enough. I guess we all keep hoping until we know for sure. I knew he wouldn't leave until his thongs had melted! ( he is a really tough bloke).
Horrible state of affairs. I was ok when he was on the phone because we had to listen so hard, but I am a bit "teary" now. How awful it must be to have to go through that.

Thinking of you, Liz.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All this reminds me of a friend of mine, Randolph Langenbach, an architectural historian of some note. His home was in the foothills behind LA and he was burned out in a canyon fire. He lost all his archives, neg files and possessions beyond what he stood up in and I remember him describing it as worse than a bereavement. He survived, dragged his life back into shape and continued with his work but it took him years. I have so much sympathy for all of you facing this possibility. Let's hope the wind changes or there is rain....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Just got home in the last half hour, we have been taken off the urgent list and everything seems back to normal. Last report said about 10,000 hectares have been burned but its still too early to tell for sure, some fires are still burning:(. Last night our Moon was red and huge, tonight I can't see it but we had brilliant Sunset
I am staying mostly packed for a quick getaway just incase and Marilyn says I have to sleep with one eye open. Lovely to be home:)
How are you doing Liz ?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Good to hear Cathy, take care.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, you made the main news on the BBC this morning..... They said the worst fire since 1983.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Glad to hear that you are safely home Cathy.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thanks. We just have to hold our breath for Liz now.
Three cheers for the Fire Fighters and Volunteers and all those who offered their help with accommodation, food, animals etc., and still continue to do so.
LizG

Post by LizG »

Our fire is under control now; just putting out spot fires. It was small but very fierce - only 125 hectares; nothing like the awful fires in SA. No homes lost here, just a few sheds. It burned past us and we thought we were clear but when the wind changed it turned back on itself and whilst it had taken 2 hours to get past us it took only a few minutes to race back. The change in the wind pushed it away from us towards the bay. (Dennis is on his way to the marina now to check the condition of his boat).

We did get a text message from the CFA to evacuate but by that stage all reports were suggesting that the water bombers were controlling it. A few friends left but we stayed. Apparently the roads were clogged and a bit of a nightmare.

It did highlight that we need a formal fire plan; one of our boundaries is another part of the park that went up in flames. We will be better prepared next total fire ban days; better late than never.

Glad to hear you are OK Cathy, and I'm so sorry for your friend Maz.

Three cheers for the Fire Fighters and Volunteers indeed.
Liz
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yeay! good news Liz, so glad:). Saw footage of a Vic FF dancing in the rain this morning, excellent.
The main fire in SA is now about 10K from me, NNE, and continues to spread NNE towards our Barossa Valley (wine country). Conditions are hot windy and volatile. 500 FF in 100 appliances, 14 Aircraft - Water Bombers. 32 homes believed lost and 22 people injured. Fire is out of control and not contained
NSW and Vic crews are here helping us too.
My area is in Watch and Act Mode, smoke is in the air but no emergencies in my immediate area. Phew:)
Last edited by Cathy on 03 Jan 2015, 23:09, edited 2 times in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Good news that you are all safe and well done to your fire fighters and volunteers. Thankfully something we don't have to contend with here in Barlick.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

White frost here, clear sky and calm. Glass is up to 29.7". Forecast is for a bright overcast day, light variable winds tending to SW later. It will be close to freezing all day. Milder weather to come and later in the week it could be very windy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”