MEDICAL MATTERS

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Marilyn »

Tardis wrote:My body has decided to send a reminder that something is wrong, again. Swollen and hot to the touch, but it's been years since the last incident. Hopefully be gone in a few days of it's own accord
Tardis...an auto-immune thing?
(I am considering several possibilities, but you say this has occurred before...(just the one location?).)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

An imbalance of chemicals within my body due to my declining kidneys, possibly pseudo gout, unlucky genes.

Nearly two weeks now without functioning grip in my left hand, but at least it has reached the last finger in it's circuit. Soon be done and I can tie my shoe laces properly again :cool4:
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Picked up my new glasses yesterday don't seem any different to me but they have been made to focus my bad eye with the other. It seems the the eye that has had the operations has gone from shortsighted to long. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Let them settle in Eileen.... They tell me that that is what they will be aiming at with my eyes, reducing short sight. Can't wait, they are deteriorating faster now, I think I applied for the op at the right time.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

We are in the surgeons hands Stanley they seem to know what they are doing. Mine is top dog at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital so should know a few things I think. Funny how when you are going for surgery they put an arrow on your head pointing to the eye in question old fashioned maybe but at least they know they have the correct one. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's reassuring..... I was struck by the fact that my inner ear was being a bit sluggish yesterday, almost like a small loss of balance. Decided it was caused by not drinking enough water... that has cured it. We don't realise what a strain unusually hot weather puts on us. Just out of curiosity (and a check to make sure nothing was wrong!) I took my BP and it was 116 over 76 so no problems there. If your blood is getting thick through not drinking enough the BP goes up of course. However, heart rate was 84 which is higher than usual. Just a pointer to the fact that in very hot weather your heart has to work harder and we should all take note, especially old farts like me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This is from memory - I heard it in the car - but as I recall it......

A programme on R4 this afternoon explained that to dispel current rumours, the National Blood Transfusion Service was not about to be privatised. As usual it was not a staightforward situation. The spokesperson said that the nation's plasma supply company was being sold to a group of American venture capitalists. It had been a private company until the government bought it some years (10?) ago, and was being returned to the private sector. She said it was bought to secure the nation's supply of plasma, since British plasma could not be used due to the risk of CJD, hence we have been using USA sourced plasma for some time. She said - don't worry - none of the blood collected by the Transfusion Service would go to a "for profit" organisation.

That gives rise to some concerns, since I am also aware that being from UK bars a person from giving blood in the rest of Europe, again due to risk of CJD. Also wasn't there a scandal some years ago concerning the commercial collection of blood in the USA from prisoners, and down and outs? Didn't this give rise to serious problems for British haemophiliacs, and a long court case? Factor eight?

I know little about blood, but doesn't British blood contain British plasma? - I'm beginning to sound like Alf Garnett! If it won't do for the rest of the world - why is it OK for us. I know there are some keen and long serving donors on here. Can anyone explain it all to me?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Here is the official statement from the NHSBT site which includes the statement made by the Health Minister Dr Dan Poulter.

NHSBT - Blood not Sold for Profit

Your post has reminded me that I might need to donate at another venue again as I may need to move the date of my next donation for holiday avoidance. There is an urgent appeal at the moment for O and B groups to come forward. Strain on the stocks due to the recent hot weather. I'm (A Rh +) so outside the appeal group this time.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I forget all the details but Private Eye has been commenting unfavourably on this matter for a while now saying that on the evidence, the private venture group is not entirely squeaky clean.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for the link Ian. I had come to the conclusion from what I heard that British blood was not safe. It seems I was right, since -

"Due to safety concerns regarding vCJD NHS Blood and Transplant is unable to use the plasma from blood collected in the UK, except in very limited circumstances, and the plasma is therefore incinerated."

I am still not convinced that due to its purchase, rather than altruistic donation, plasma from the USA is totally safe either. Maybe the Witnesses have a point after all?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote:Thanks for the link Ian. I had come to the conclusion from what I heard that British blood was not safe. It seems I was right, since -

"Due to safety concerns regarding vCJD NHS Blood and Transplant is unable to use the plasma from blood collected in the UK, except in very limited circumstances, and the plasma is therefore incinerated."

I am still not convinced that due to its purchase, rather than altruistic donation, plasma from the USA is totally safe either. Maybe the Witnesses have a point after all?
I have posted in the blood donor thread as well Tripps. I don't think its particularly fair and certanly not helpful to the service to say that "British blood is not safe". Plasma is only one component part of the donation and the fact that it is extracted and destroyed is one reason that ensures the continued safety of the service and products for the recipients.
Ian
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Nice to see the clarifications

I used to be a plasma donor

Now I can't even be a whole blood donor because of my medication
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very good programme this morning on re-constructive surgery for victims of feminine genital mutilation. Well worth finding if you are interested in this subject.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

On 2nd July I went for an ultrasound scan due to a possible gallstone after I'd had pain for two nights. Three weeks later I've finally received the all clear but only after my GP had to chase the hospital to get the result. If I'd had a gallstone I might have been in a dicey situation by now!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Yesterday I enjoyed an echocardiograph.

Watching my heart beat on a screen beside me (ultrasound) as my consultant runs through some more tests, ticking boxes

Regailed with the fact that if the operator discovered anything wrong, she would call a doctor immediately and I probably wouldn't get out of the hospital (Airedale), which was somewhat disconcerting as no one had mentioned that previously.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Welcome to our world, Tardis.
My hubby had a heart attack on the treadmill at the Cardiologist's rooms ( at the hospital). He was admitted immediately, but I was sat in the reception area and my bat-wing ears heard the staff discussing him at the desk and so I knew he had suffered the heart attack before he did. They suddenly realised I was there and went into code speak, but it was too late. I am a Registered Nurse...( and apart from that, I was the only person sat in the whole clinic as we had been there about four hours and it was now empty of patients).
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

How is he now Maz?
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Marilyn wrote:Welcome to our world, Tardis.
My hubby had a heart attack on the treadmill at the Cardiologist's rooms ( at the hospital). He was admitted immediately, but I was sat in the reception area and my bat-wing ears heard the staff discussing him at the desk and so I knew he had suffered the heart attack before he did. They suddenly realised I was there and went into code speak, but it was too late. I am a Registered Nurse...( and apart from that, I was the only person sat in the whole clinic as we had been there about four hours and it was now empty of patients).
That doesn't sound so good. As far as I know I am at very high risk of heart attack or stroke, but so far all tests have shown nothing and my hypertension medication is slightly dangerous (my pharmacist is very good), but is the first one to have had any effect

Fortunately I just had to lay on my side and have my chest covered in gel <yuck>

Merlin is part of my treadmill routine, regular gentle exercise in all weathers, no excuses accepted by him
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

He is doing well, Wendy. He still has a little way to go, but is about 90% back to his normal self...some minor medication side affects (dizziness) but think we have that sorted finally.
A holiday on the horizon, so that will restore him...
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The company NHS Direct has said it is ending its contract with the NHS for its provision of the 111 telephone service...so much for the private sector being better than the public.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

No one in the media seems to be querying the unilateral ending of the contract. If they had found they were making more than they planned from it, would they have given some back? I would have thought the clue was in the name 'contract' . Surely they should be liable for expenses involved in finding a new supplier.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not too sure about that David. BBC had the leader of the GP Commissioning groups on and he said that they had warned the government about the pitfalls. He said it was an example of how the government drive to introduce 'competition' inside the NHS and thus lower costs was a flawed concept. Of course it was part of the dash to dismantle the NHS by stealth. NHS not safe in Tory Hands!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Echocardiograms. Eleven years ago my wife went for an echocardiogram as she'd had several 'events' which, having ruled out an auto-immune issue, the medics thought might be heart related (they suspected a small hole). What they discovered was a tumour inside her left atrium - a left atrial myxoma - very rare, symptomatically vague and often found post-mortem.

Cue cardiologists, cardio-thoracic surgeons and haematologists (to check bloods as there is a very rare 'complex' that can cause these to develop apparently) and 2 days later, her having gone nowhere, she was cut open and her heart cut open and the tumour removed after 12 hours surgery. One week later she was back home. Now she's fine, runs half marathons, pops only an aspirin a day, and doesn't have the complex. She also joined the excellently named 'Zipper Club' for those having undergone open-heart surgery and has a nice certificate on her desk at home.

The medics were superb all the way through: calm and measured, especially the surgeon who was so laid back as to be horizontal. The GP practice was great too - they had a case conference on her as the general view was that whilst they'd likely not come across another case in their careers, best to be prepared.

Richard Broughton
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

It would appear that I have made it to "discussions about dialysis and transplant" as my consultant phrased it yesterday, (CKD Stage 4, nearing Stage 5); and my anaemia may be treated with EPO, so I'll not be entering any cycling events in the near future :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Richard, how nice to hear of a good outcome. Just imagine what that would have cost in the US! Nye did a good job......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”