Seen in the News

chinatyke
Donor

Re: Seen in the News

Post by chinatyke »

What I was really trying to do was counteract the negative press China gets in the western press whlst flu figures like these go unreported. "China bashing"
China doesn't engage in America bashing although they declared today that no assistance has been received from America.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I agree that the US is in no fit state to criticise China. The US also has food poisoning levels that are very high for a developed country. They chlorinate chicken because their chicken production is unhygienic as well as having very poor welfare for the birds.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

From the article: `Though the articles provided no evidence, the fringe theory quickly went viral on social media, prompting media outlets from the BBC to Foreign Policy to speak up against it.'
Social media has a heck of a lot to answer for! It amplifies the power of stupid and/or malicious humans.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't think of a worse place to get news from..... Anyone who trusts social media deserves all they get.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Hang on Stanley isn't OG part of the social media. Or is it 'include us out' :biggrin2:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I take anything I read on here with a pinch of salt. :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 09:26 I take anything I read on here with a pinch of salt. :laugh5:
Me too :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Surely rather than eat all this salt which is bad for your health the correct thing to do is to give a reply as to why you disbelieve or are sceptical about what is being said. At least that would promote further discussions and educate the rest of us why things are not so. Nothing wrong with listening to someone with a different opinion.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Don't take things too seriously :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 12:26 At least that would promote further discussions and educate the rest of us why things are not so. Nothing wrong with listening to someone with a different opinion.
It's been a struggle to not respond to that - but I've fought bravely and I think I'm winning. :smile:

You're right Kev. . .
Last edited by Tripps on 04 Feb 2020, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just joking P, but I do crave salt.....
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 09:01 Hang on Stanley isn't OG part of the social media. Or is it 'include us out' :biggrin2:
I stick by what I said. I didn't say there weren't any good aspects of social media. I could have said alcoholic drinks have a lot to answer for. So many things have good and bad aspects. Currently the bad side of social media is gaining ground and we need to counter that if we want to keep the beneficial side. :smile:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thanks to everyone for replying in such a generous way. Even Tripps manage to restrain himself :peace: I was expecting a deluge that really put me in my place, somewhere like that 17 century lock up shop for dissident Royalists. I think it shows that OG does have some value and as they say 'it takes all sorts to make a world'. On a personal level I read and enjoy ALL the sub section of OG, its much better that the half baked cr*p you get on popular radio.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Like many other things in life there is a Dark Side. OG isn't in that category, I should have made that clear. But we have sorted that one out so let us sail on into a Golden Dawn in the wake of our PM......
I'm still laughing at the thought that Trump thinks Kansas City is in Kansas. :biggrin2: :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

As the one who precipitated the above discussion of social media I too thank you all for not taking it too seriously. It's so easy to write something that can be misconstrued. I looked back and saw I'd written `It amplifies the power of stupid and/or malicious humans' which could be me implying that all humans are stupid and/or malicious. What I should have written is `It amplifies the power of those humans who are stupid and/or malicious' which is more precise.

`Which State is Kansas City In? Kansas City is located in the states of Missouri and Kansas' LINK
`There has always been confusion as to where the Kansas City is located depending on the Kansas City one is referring to. There are two Kansas Cities in the United States; Kansas City in the state of Missouri and Kansas City in the state of Kansas. There have been controversies concerning the naming of the two cities. Most of the city area is in Missouri, and this is why the Kansas City in Missouri is more popular than the Kansas City in Kansas. It should not be mistaken that the Kansas City in Missouri straddles the borders into the next state. These are two different cities sharing the same border. The Kansas City metropolitan area is the one that straddles the Kansas-Missouri borders...'.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Are there 2 Barnoldswicks? I seem to remember mention of another Barnoldswick years ago (on OG)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes Cathy, there is a small hamlet called Barnoldswick at Burton in Lonsdale which is near Ingleton.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

:good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They call theirs 'Barniwig' for short..... I opened this LINK for you Cathy and learned something I didn't know. "After a change of ownership, extra steam engines were bought. One from Coates Old Mill in Barnoldswick. Pumping out took seven months and 58 million gallons of water was removed while 480 gallon per second continued to flow in. The mine was reopened" That makes sense as it was Billycock who bought the pit and he owned Old Coates at the time after the owners, his cousins went bankrupt.
(A book was published in 2005 on the Ingleton Coalfield of which I was unaware which revealed this. I have found a copy and bought it..... Must stop buying books!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Barniwig, I like that. Not far away then, just up the road. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report that Jonty Bravery, who threw the child off the balcony at Tate Modern, told his carers a year before that he had thoughts about doing exactly that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Imprisoned by cladding: The flat owners who cannot sell' LINK
People are finding their flats valued at £0 due to the Grenfell cladding disaster. Even ones that are not in danger are suffering through association of the word cladding with fire. Something needs to be done to expedite all the tests and claims and get past the bluffing by those responsible. The government should appoint a team to do what the Americans would call `kick ass'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cladding plus oppressive leases Tiz.
I saw the reports about companies giving evidence at the Grenfell enquiry asking for immunity before they testified and thought what the hell!? Could you do this in a manslaughter trial? The response of the court will be influenced by the fact that in the later stages, government ministers and officials will be questioned, it would never do if they also were indictable.
The government promised to pay for replacements and also fixing things like single stairwells and lack of sprinklers but new public builds are still being specified with those faults built into them. They have failed to do these things on the grounds of cost. It is another disgrace!
On a similar note, how many public buildings still contain asbestos?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”