COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, yes, the two issues - the security certificate and the forum software - were not related, it was pure coincidence. Nothing changed with the security but a member commented that it might be better to have a security certificate. I agree with you that initially it doesn't seem important because we are not doing our banking through OG or swapping photos of each other in the nude (well, not that I know of!). But there are other concerns. The passwords can be stolen and if a member uses the same password for anything more sensitive it could lead to problems. It's not a big issue but probably better if we had the extra cover. Also, people are often warned to avoid sites without security certificates so it could deter them from becoming members or even viewing the site.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 25 Feb 2017, 04:42 Heed hee! I can't find the donate button! Point me at it please.....
It's AWOL at the moment Stanley.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Pluggy and Panbiker - thanks for all the work you're doing to upgrade OGFB! :drinks2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've mentioned it elsewhere but if you look at the gallery page there's a small anonymous button just below the 'last visit' message on the right below the header. If you click on it there's a handy drop down menus that includes search......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 25 Feb 2017, 09:46 but a member commented that it might be better to have a security certificate
That was me, I apologize if I have caused mayhem on the site. Honestly your Honor it was done in all innocence, From now on I will keep my ramblings to the hardly read items. Ref Politics Corner.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Gallery is back but it still has the alternative directory paths to the image locations, if this remains it will mean no previously posted and embedded images in posts unless they are re-edited. Any new images added to the gallery and then into posts will be OK.

I noticed that like me, Cathy has lost her avatar. The avatar selection tab in the user control panel does not default to the correct avatar gallery file which has to be selected from the drop down within the tab, it takes a while to load.

I cant change Cathy's avatar for her in the Admin Console but I may be able to do it by testing her user account permissions which is an option for admins, I will give it a try.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 25 Feb 2017, 11:03 Pluggy and Panbiker - thanks for all the work you're doing to upgrade OGFB! :drinks2:
We aren't actually doing the upgrade Tiz, that's down to our new guy over in the USA (Mark Hamill). I am just highlighting the new version changes that I have found. It looks like this BBS version has issues with Gallery compatibilty and the Enhanced Post Editor. I assume we will get a report from him at some point.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

The gallery won't upload new images , which Stanley mentioned earlier. It effectively makes the Gallery useless. I've had no contact with the 'Man' since yesterday.

Depressing and stressful.

I contacted the guy who repaired the board in 2013 before Mark Hamill, He said he was no longer in the business, find someone else and 'Good Luck' which has come to haunt me.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ian, I'd gathered that the upgrade would be done by someone else but you and Pluggy are also putting in a lot of effort, thanks.

Pluggy, don't stress yourself out, it's not as if we rely on OG for food and water! You and Ian have got your lives to live and work to do, put those first. :smile:

Plaques, your comment on the security icon is unrelated to the hiccup on the site, it's pure coincidence. I'm sorry to disappoint you but your powers of disruption are not as strong as you thought they were! :wink:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have to admit that I have not tried to upload to the Gallery until now, as already mentioned it doesn't work, effectively no write access, you can use the modified URL addresses on existing images in posts which is effectively just a read operation.

I have also tried to see if I can get to a users avatar but to no avail. I can delete an avatar in the Admin CP but not add or change. It will have to be a talk through for users if they get stuck with adding their avatar.

I wonder why it has just lost odd ones?
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Thanks for standing by Panbiker and myself. We've both had issues away from OGFB to deal with.

I had a nap this afternoon which worked wonders for the frame of mind. At the end of the day its an internet bulletin board.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz is correct, don't knock yourselves out over this. Give Mark a break, it's weekend and he perhaps has a life! Quietly away and as always, we will get there in the end. My avatar is fine, if it's a clue, I didn't load it, Doc chose it as a joke and did it for me. It has stuck with me ever since.
My only problem (apart from nit being able to make the view page width) is posting pics but we will get there in the end..... Oh, and the donate button, I'm sure we are all behind you and if it makes it easier to get the contractor to fix the gallery, just do it as far as I am concerned.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

How do I get my avatar back please?
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Hi Moh, you are another "special one" who has lost their avatar. I sent Cathy these instructions but she is accessing from a phone so is struggling to see the rather large Avatar file. Unfortunately it is one aspect of the User CP that I don't have access to even as admin so I can only offer these notes.

Here we go:

The UserCP interface for Avatar selection has changed. Go to your profile settings and select User Avatar. In the Category drop down box scroll down and select the file "images/avatars/gallery/Avatar_pack_1" then select the Go button. The file will take some time to load as it is quite large, scroll down to find your avatar and select it then continue to the bottom to finalise your choice.

Shout if you need any further help.
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I waited 30 mins. for it to download then gave it up. I did not find the category drop down but went to edit avatar.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes,you were in the right place Moh, Edit Avatar: There are two boxes, the top one is the Avatar Type which says Gallery Avatar, leave this one as it is. The box below is the Category one and it has a drop down. This is where you need to select the correct file as above. Click Go to start it loading, it should not take half an hour, on my laptop there is a delay of about 10 seconds and then it starts populating with avatar images from the top down, if you scroll it down it will keep loading. Mine is roughly in the middle of the list and from memory if yours is the little bouncing winged kitty it's not far from the bottom.
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Thankyou - I feel more at home now - I had forgotten how many there are.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You are welcome Moh, good to see you bouncing back. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well done Moh! I was lucky. It must have been a pain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just didn't look right without my cat!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think I'd be miffed if my Roman Orator vanished as well. I have got used to it. Good choice by Doc......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I know its still early days into the current site update but has anyone looked at the FAQ's to see how many features are still unobtainable or redundant? The known redundant ones could be removed immediately and reduce any possible confusion.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The FAQ section only covers the basic BBS platform which is what we have now, the gallery which is separate module has never had a user guide. FAQ is also a coverall for the various options that can be configured with the board software, it has to be like this to cater for all the various options. There is no option for editing it in the Admin panel either, it is what it is and has varied slightly with the sequential releases of the software depending on the features available. It would have to be edited at code level. As it is, it does cover most questions that a user may have, there aren't many sections that are not relevant. We do also have feedback threads on the site for anyone to post questions if they can't find the answer in the FAQ.

Regarding the present status of the site. I will formulate an announcement that I will post in time when we have more feedback.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My reading of the situation at the moment is that we have no realistic prospect of ever getting back to what was the status quo, being able to upload images to the gallery and insert them in topics. Shed Matters is suffering without the pics. Even if it's only a temporary measure can you give me advice on how to put the images on an external site and post them on OG as attachments please.....
As far as the rest of the site functions are concerned I am feeling no pain, I am able to do everything I want to do and I assume that either you or Pluggy has a way of maintaining a back-up of the data in the event of another event? That being the case, take me as being in agreement with anything you decide to do. If people haven't given feed back so far, they aren't going to do.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

FIELDHOUSE WINDER 02 010317 .JPG
I've been playing with the attachment box. I can upload a file like this from my files. My question is, is this image now permanently embedded in the topic or is it dependent on being able to attach it every time it's viewed only if I am online?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”