DIALECT AND WORD MEANINGS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DIALECT AND WORD MEANINGS

Post by Stanley »

That's how I remember it Ken. I never mastered the crawl when everyone moved over to it from breast stroke, I suspect because it involved submerging the face. In Trudgen you can keep your face out of the water all the time. I think that was something to do with the fact my eyes were so bad I had to wear my glasses in the water. If I was swimming for my life I would still use Trudgen stroke.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard a word this morning that I didn't recognise. 'Dorgi', a breed of dog. Intrigued, I looked it up and found this explanation....
"A Dorgi is a dog which is a cross between a Dachshund and a Welsh Corgi. Not recognized as a breed by any major kennel club. This hybrid started when one of Queen Elizabeth's corgis mated with a Dachshund, Pipkin, belonging to Princess Margaret."
That made me laugh, no mention of who owned the dog who did the dirty deed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if the Germans have a word for Dachshund? (With apologies to Tripps! :smile: )

I notice a BBC report this morning referred to an advancement in something or other. That word crept into vogue back in the 1990s by those who wanted a longer word than advance. Then it seemed to, thankfully, disappear. Perhaps it's being wheeled out again by the next generation.

That raises another thought...we've had generations X,Y, Z etc. What will the next one be called by those who use such terms?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 09:17 That raises another thought...we've had generations X,Y, Z etc. What will the next one be called by those who use such terms?
I can predict the next one ....&..ampersand. before it dropped out of our alphabet.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or simply "Those bloody Kids again!"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Gen S...for skint?
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I think the new Generation is called Generation Alpha. They outnumber the Baby Boomers. And they are the children of Gen. Y and younger siblings of Gen. Z.
None of it means anything to me
The New Generation is just that, the New Generation 😂
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy. MY YOUNGER GENERATIONS ARE CHILDREN, GRANDCHILDREN AND GREAT GRANDCHILDREN.... (SORRY ABOUT CAPITALS....Bugger caps lock!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Alpha- well that wipes the rest of us Out.
😂
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not according to the Bible Cathy. Omega is the one that signals the end and I haven't heard that mentioned yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

An old bugbear of mine rears it's head more and more. I have just been listening to a lady extolling the virtues of vineyards in Sussex and her account was liberally peppered with statements like "there's a kind of slope running through the vineyard"
Please stop saying 'kind of'!!!!!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Omicron and Omega.

Something hidden in Greek that was to do with the prounounciation of Long and Short "O" sound
O Micron - Little O
O Mega - Big or Long O

I suppose something had to come last in the alphabet but never could work out why it was Omega - I just think it got added later for the second sound.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In a story this morning about the Ukrainians surviving in Mariupol there was his phrase: "...many people work for the 'rashists' [a derogatory term for Russians] because they need money so they don't die of hunger."
I like the use of `rashists' as a derogatory term for Russians whose leaders like to call the Ukrainians fascists.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I learned yesterday that the French for Schadenfreude is Joie Maligne. I think it was on the racing on ITV. Shows you must be alert at all times for new words. :smile:

That's always handy to know. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted your use of the phrase in your post about drones David and was impressed. I like the idea that joy can be malign. It fits some cases so well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Has anyone else noted the way Amol Rajan, presenter on Today, elides many words?
Or, as usual will it be blamed on my hearing?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Well, I've been around for 72 years and had a decent education but I've never heard elides before! :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

elide:- to omit (a sound or syllable) when speaking.
Exactly what he does...... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You learn something every day on One Guy.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 07:06 elide:- to omit (a sound or syllable) when speaking.
We used to call that a speech impediment to be corrected immediately.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 07:53 You learn something every day on One Guy.
Yes - and that's a good thing.

I'd heard of the word and knew it related to linguistics, but could not have defined it. Like 'glottal stops' and 'labial fricatives'

I find Beth Rigby of ITV is a serial offender as she habitually leaves the final 'g ' off every word which has one. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I went to Lancaster you had compulsory English Language in your first year which included linguistics. Due to the fact that in my days at school English Grammar was still a subject (Though not one I excelled at) I found the course easy and topped the end of year exams. Geoffrey Leech the Professor in charge of the department sent for me and recommended I swap from a history major to Linguistics. I told him I wasn't interested in doing something I was good at, i wanted to get better at history.... Actually I didn't want to ever become as boring as he was....
Here's a bit from me memoirs about it....
"I enjoyed the course, was baffled by the supposed importance of linguistic analysis and bored to tears by Professor Leech’s lectures. The man had a gift for putting people to sleep, I’ve seen him hypnotise a lecture hall full of students in ten minutes. I was sat listening to his lecture one day and next to me was another mature student, a German lass with long blonde hair. I’d seen her about and we’d nodded to each other in passing but I knew nothing about her. After about five minutes she said to me “There must be better things in life than sitting here listening to this!” I agreed and said something like I’d rather be having a smoke and a cup of coffee. She said “I agree, we go!” and with this she gathered her papers, got up and set off out of the lecture room! I had to either put up or shut up so I got up and followed her. They tell me that ten minutes later half the students had walked out! This was unheard of at Lancaster and the funny thing is that the lectures improved, I think Professor Leech had got the message. News of this direct action spread round the department and a couple of days later Professor Mowatt took me on one side and told me not to worry about any consequences. His personal opinion was that students were too timid and afraid to voice their opinions. He told me that when he was an undergraduate in Scotland it was the custom to throw pennies at unpopular lecturers. In those days a penny was a serious piece of metal both in value and weight! Very reassuring.
I remember another incident connected with lectures at that time. We were all sat waiting for John Walton to lecture us on Regional History when a young man hurried into the room, took his place at the podium, arranged his papers and started to lecture us on what I think was low temperature physics. After a couple of minutes he faltered, stopped speaking and said “I’m in the wrong lecture room aren’t I?” There was a collective nod from 150 students and he retreated with a red face to a burst of applause. At this moment John Walton walked in and thought we were taking the piss out of him for being late! It was a pleasant diversion. I told John Mowatt about it and this was when he steered the conversation round to the Leech walk-out which had evidently caused quite a fluttering in the department"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Noticed this from Jacob Rees Mogg today. Wouldn't have thought he'd have the time for such matters. :smile:

Gruntled is one of the words which really exists, even though the negative is almost invariably used. Some years ago my youngest sister, Annunziata, and I looked at many of these words, such as ‘gusted’ and ‘ruth’. Almost all of them are in the Oxford English Dictionary. And when rereading P.G. Wodehouse’s The Luck of the Bodkins at the weekend, I noticed he used ‘ruth’ without the ‘less’. These words ought to be brought back into circulation and I expect Spectator readers to rally to this cause.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And I'll bet that he believes that only people of 'his class' will have noticed these things.....
Funny that reminding me of the prefix 'dis' triggered a thought as to whether it applies to dis-mayed? Can one be 'mayed'?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 02:14 And I'll bet that he believes that only people of 'his class' will have noticed these things.....
Yes that occurred to me too. He's going to have to get that 'low self esteem' looked at. :smile:

"It was reported that in advance of the 2010 election David Cameron had asked Rees-Mogg to shorten her name for political purposes to Nancy Mogg, which her brother Jacob has since said was "a joke".[18][19] Rees-Mogg later commented: "I think it's phoney to pretend to be someone you're not. "

Now - back to words
I don't think it works for - disappointed, distressed, disputed, ** and surely many more - but I don't have as much spare time as The Moggster, or a sister, with whom to 'discuss' such matters.

** I think this is an Oxford Comma?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”