WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

plaques
Donor

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by plaques »

Bruff wrote: or private coaching for an 11+.
Bruff, I have a slightly different view on 'private' tuition ever since my cousin ask for assistance with what was then GCE maths. She arrived three weeks before her exam asking for help. It became clear that she did not understand some of the very basic principles that extended over a two year period. Asking what had gone wrong she replied that the teacher, a male at a girls high school, would react to questions by throwing the board duster at them. Reluctantly I told her she would fail her exams but at least she now understood what was required. Four months later without any further tuition she passed with distinction. The whole point I'm trying to make is that we all have our hang ups and some additional tuition can get you back on track.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Just bought some meat and potato pies from the pie shop on Newtown (sort of a tradition on Tuesday dinnertime here). My wife usually gets them elsewhere but I had a load of errands to do so I got them today. They were excellent, and instead of the 'hunt the meat' so common in Hollands type pies, these were 'hunt the potato', they were effectively good quality steak pies with a little bit of potato. Excellent, highly recommended.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just had one for my dinner, agreed quality.
Ian
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Now thats a lot of tomato
At Heinz, researchers were looking for innovative ways to recycle peels, stems and seeds from the more than two million tons of tomatoes the company uses annually to produce its best-selling product, Heinz Ketchup.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for the latest puff for tomato ketchup. Old news retreaded really, the benefits of tomatoes have long been recognised.
The rising tide of football related news. All right if you're a fan but that plus Wimbledon is going to tighten the bands on me over the next few weeks....
The way the tennis world is reacting to the fact that Andy Murray has appointed a WOMAN! as his coach. Shock horror indeed! See this LINK for a report. It looks as though sexism is alive and well in the sport! They should grow up and stop taking the steroids....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

(Yesterday) the hostess of a party in Letcliffe Park getting a fixed penalty for leaving this mess for people to find on Saturday morning.

I forwarded the picture to the police and park staff when it was emailed to me. Local police posted it on their Facebook page leading to identification of the offenders through their posting pictures of them partying on Facebook.

Result.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Splendid!! Perhaps the social networking sites have a use after all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I agree with Stanley on the football issue and am already thoroughly sick of it, in this house FIFA has a different meaning which I will not post here!
Its good to know that the Police got a result from facebook, although we have a young family member who does herself no favours at all with the stuff she puts on there. The Police radio phone set up in some of the Town's shops is a good idea as well and has already had success. Last week a Church St. takeway was raided, I was made aware of them selling stuff from under the counter some time ago, also interesting that during this raid the staff from another shop across the street locked up and left quickly!!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mrs Jack Bradley asked me the other day what was going on, she saw the raid. I didn't know until I saw the report of the drugs raids in the BET last Friday.
Wendy visited yesterday bearing goodies, see what did we have for tea. Nice visit. She will bring the FYM when she is in her working clothes....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Called in at a small local firm to pick up some double glazing units. It was a real pleasure to watch a crafstman designing and cutting pieces for stained glass windows. He must have spent the best part of his lunch time explaining the different types of glass and lead fittings that are required. Nice to know that some people still take pride in their work.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

One of life's unwanted gifts through the letterbox. Yes a free copy of the Sun to commemorate the World Cup!!!!!!!!!! From door to bin in seconds. Juggling TV channels to try and avoid it is now becoming very difficult, the facial flashes of painted fans in amongst the adverts are stupid and unnecessary.
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

In its wisdom, The Sun has decided not to run this stunt in Liverpool where the boycott still holds firm and many newsagents do not stock the paper. Whether we get ours in our 'CH' postcode on Wirral I don't know (posties in Skelmersdale are refusing to post the thing), but if we do it will be shredded, popped in an envelope and sent back to them without a stamp so that they must pay the cost. I would encourage anyone so inclined to bite the bullet and do the same.

Richard Broughton
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thomo wrote:One of life's unwanted gifts through the letterbox. Yes a free copy of the Sun to commemorate the World Cup!!!!!!!!!!
Haha! At least you only had to put up with one copy, Thomo. As I left the house today to visit my father the postman handed me our mail and waved the free copy of the Sun at me before handing it over. He was cursing them for all the extra weight he had to carry. I got to my father's flat and seconds later a free copy of...guess what...the Sun shot through the letterbox as if it was following me.

Bruff, when they had the big flood in Muchelney, in the Somerset Levels (totally cut off and being supplied with food by boat), did you see the TV footage on the news showing when a Sun reporter arrived in a boat accompanied by the usual scantily clad `babe' so they could take photos of her `helping the poor people'? The locals soon sent them on their way!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got the Sun as well..... Thomo is right about the subliminal images of painted faces....
Heather came round to give me her telephone number in case I needed someone to walk Jack. Very kind of her and a welcome sign of nice thoughts. Ten minutes later my young friend Philip Lawson called in by chance, nearly dropped cork-legged when he found out about my eye and immediately promised lifts to hospital and even promised to come round and bathe me if the other one went AWOL! Aren't people good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Another result yesterday for the Police radio link when 2 shoplifters were arrested in One Stop. Also yesterday the Police parked up at the end of Westfield Rd. for an hour to monitor the speed of the traffic, they might just as well have parked in the middle of Gisburn Rd. For one hour the traffic came by at a sedate speed, when the Police car left, things were back to normal in minutes. I put the TV on at 8 this morning to what was happening in Iraq, all news channels went straight to Rio, off went the TV!!!!!!!!
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Stanley - would Phillip Lawson be from the Lawson's who lived up Crow Foot Row way many years ago, had a sister Jean (who I think may have died some time ago) and his dad was Edgar(?). I think he's my age or thereabouts and we used to knock around a bit as kids. Could you pass on my regards when you next see him (of course he may not remember me....).

To be honest, I don't mind the World Cup as it's only a month every four years but the media overkill does grate a bit (but then that's not unique to the World Cup). As Liverpool is home one of Britain's biggest Brazilian communities we decided last night we'll go and watch Brazil's next match in a venue in the 'happening' Baltic Quarter of Liverpool, where the Brazilian's will congregate for the matches. That said, sportswise I'm more interested in what's happening in the rugby in New Zealand this weekend, the upcoming Tour de France, and the British Open Golf in Hoylake next month (the town is already noticeably busier with all the contractors etc erecting the stands/media village/hospitality etc; what it'll be like when 70,000+ a day descend goodness knows - it's half the size of Barlick.....).

We didn't appear to get a copy of The Sun........

Richard Broughton
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Thomo wrote:Another result yesterday for the Police radio link when 2 shoplifters were arrested in One Stop
The police officers were in a caterers on Albert Road when the call came through on the shop radio scheme about the shop lifters. Rushing out, they left their helmets behind them. Ken Hartley got bemused glances from passersby when he walked round to OneStop with them.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Richard, Philip Lawson is the son of Ted and Joyce who lived at Overdale bungalow down Crowfoot Row before moving to Cobden Street and then back to Castle View where Philip and Julie, his wife, live now. Philip had a sister, Sandra, who died young of cancer shortly after her wedding.
What grabbed me was three Party Leaders, all hungry for 'good publicity' demonstrating their 'enthusiasm' for football by being snapped with a copy of the Sun World Cup Edition. It transpires that Milliband was given dinner by a Rupert Murdoch executive... Wouldn't it be strange if the others had done the same. It demonstrates what is important in their eyes. Shallow sentiments and Election Fever!

Later at 06:45. I mail my kids every morning to let them know I am not dead behind the door. The SMTP server is down this morning so mails are written but not sent. Margaret has just rung from Oz to make sure I am OK. Nice..... [The server is still down....]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

With wonderful timing, and after several postponements, the first batch of Libyan troops have arrived at out local barracks for 24 weeks training. Signs around the place have been bilingual English / Arabic for some time now.

"A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: “These recruits have been carefully vetted by the Libyan Government and Home Office officials to ensure that security and immigration controls are maintained and that those selected are representative of all of Libya."

What could possibly go wrong? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Just about everything having had experience of such a situation. We had sailors from their Navy at HMS Sultan in the 70s. I will not go any further as I may be accused of being something that I am not! What I will say is that they have the belief that they are special because of who they are!!!!!!!!!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote:and that those selected are representative of all of Libya.
I wonder if this includes followers of Muammar al-Gaddafi? Probably when we send them back and the rest of the population turns against them for being British spies we shall take them all in as asylum seekers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How quiet Burnley General hospital is on a Saturday....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The news from London that the fire danger of garden sheds is to be curbed....
Forgive my cynicism but could THIS be yet another opportunity for dentists to get their hands on your wallet? It is claimed that a new treatment heals teeth naturally and ends the need for amalgam fillings in many cases. In economic terms, having all my teeth pulled 55 years ago was possibly the most cost-effective move I ever made! (By the way, the new bottom set last year has been a splendid success, you should see me biting apples!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Just shine a laser on your dodgy tooth.
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health- ... row-82777/
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Inability of British Gas to book the annual service on my boiler. I have been trying to book this online for the last 10 days or so. Every time I try with my unique reference number that BG sent me it fails telling me there is a fault with their system and to ring a freephone number. Rang the number and Kate who took my call cannot book any appointments apart from for 28 days hence because of the problems with their system. She suggested I ring back in a few days?
Ian

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”