ENERGY MATTERS

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Big Kev »

https://www.positive.news/society/scien ... you%20talk

A 40-strong team of researchers at the department of physics at Oxford University have developed a solar cell so thin that it can be applied to buildings, cars and everyday objects.

It means you could, in theory, devise a backpack that charges gizmos while you walk, or a phone that juices up as you talk. Or even an EV that recharges for free as you cruise down the motorway.

Could be a game changer.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good news for your neighbour then Kev..... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

More here on the perovskite solar cells developed by the company based on Oxford University research: Oxford PV

Originally the word perovskite referred only to a mineral which was discovered in the Ural Mountains of Russia by Gustav Rose in 1839 and was named after Russian mineralogist Lev Perovski. The mineral is calcium titanium oxide, CaTiO3, and there are vast a mounts of it out of our reach deep in the Earth's interior and it's rare on the surface. The molecular structure of the mineral was revealed when X-ray diffraction became available in the 1940s. It was found to have unusual and potentially valuable physical properties but its rarity prevented commercial use. Fortunately scientists then found that they could synthesise similar molecules with the same specific structure and that's when commercial developments began, especially for improving solar cells. Now the name perovskite also refers to the class of chemicals having the same crystal structure as the original perovskite mineral but composed of different elements.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It sounds too good to be true. I wonder how long it will be before we see commercial applications for it......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In the case of perovskite I'd say very soon, there a lot of work being done around the world to get applications into production.

A couple of energy matters in the news today...
`Electric 'superhighway' approved between Scotland and England' LINK
A multi-billion pound subsea cable that can shift vast amounts of renewable electricity between Scotland and England has been given the go-ahead by regulators. SSEN Transmission says the energy transfer project is needed to move energy around the grid on days when the wind doesn’t blow or demand is high. The two 315-mile (507km) cables will run from Peterhead in Aberdeenshire to Drax in North Yorkshire and will initially work alongside a similar link down the west coast....

`China firm claims world's fastest-charging EV battery' LINK
Chinese car maker Zeekr says its new electric vehicle (EV) batteries charge faster than any of its rivals, including industry leaders Tesla and BYD. The firm claims its upgraded batteries can be charged from 10% to 80% capacity in 10 and a half minutes using its ultra-fast charging stations....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard the report about the connectors Peter and thought "About time!"
As for the quick charging battery, the weight of current needed to transfer that amount of energy that fast is frightening!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

At last!...
`High Court Judge rules West Cumbria plan for coal mine should be quashed' TheBusinessDesk.com
Folk are led to believe that it's a small West Cumbria-based business but as I've noted before that's completely wrong: Note this: West Cumbria Mining is owned by Singapore registered Woodhouse Investment Pte Ltd, its ultimate parent company is Cayman Islands registered EMR Capital Resources Fund. EMR is chaired by mining veteran Owen Hegarty, former managing Director of Rio Tinto Asia and its Australian copper and gold business from 1989 to 1994.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In these days of global enterprises it's a job to know who you are dealing with and it needs sleuths like you Peter to keep us informed and up to date. Thanks.
I suppose British Gas will be calling for another double bill this month as a result of the cap changing shortly, I forget the date.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 31 Jul 2024, 16:11 The EV charger saga continues, Octopus are unable to fit a smart meter in the outside box ( I don't have the details why)...
The outside box isn't big enough and ElectricityNW won't upgrade the indoor meter to 3 phase.

The saga continues. No smart meter,
25p per kWh to charge instead of 7p and no sign of a resolution.
Next step is https://www.energyombudsman.org/
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like me and TalkTalk! What is wrong with these people. They have lost sight of why they exist, to serve others!!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”