Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

I think you are both right about the ordinary masks and their efficacy. However, I think that mask wearing serves another useful purpose. It reminds people that there is a risk of infection, no matter how small, and could encourage better social distancing and avoiding contact. I believe that these two are still valuable defences, against all infections. Let's not forget ordinary Winter Flu and other infections.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

As predicted the Covid infections are on the rise again, Surprise, surprise. We won't know how bad it is until people are in hospital and start dying. So unless you do your duty and get the numbers moving we are going to be in the dark as to what's happening. Meanwhile lick your finger and hold it up to the wind and hope for the best.

From Sky news.

Asked whether the BA.2 sublineage of the Omicron variant could lead to a surge in cases, Prof Elliott said it is more transmissible and the data - including the number of hospitalisations - needs to be monitored closely.

"At the moment, we're possibly seeing the beginning of an uptick, but we don't know where it's going to go," he said.

Prof Elliot said the figures could indicate that infections are starting to increase in England.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Until we start to see increased hospital admissions and deaths the number of infections is a fairly pointless figure. Based on personal experience of LFT results the infection numbers have probably been massively higher than ever reported. The vaccination programme has protected huge numbers of elderly and infirm, covid is just another virus we have to live with. Enforcing common sense won't really make any difference.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

On the subject of covid, a good night's sleep for both of us. P's sore throat and stuffy nose has gone, I'm a couple of days behind her with symptoms, an intermittent tickle in my throat is an annoyance and paracetamol works wonders on the headache. As I said earlier, I have had worse colds but am being socially responsible and staying indoors despite the boredom.

How's Gloria doing?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We’ve been getting good nights sleeps but waking up about 5am coughing and spluttering, definitely feeling better today, not coughing as much, and headache controlled by paracetamol.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That's good to hear Gloria :good:
A bit annoying about the coughing and sputtering though.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The numbers are in the rise in France too, and much higher than ours. They too have little rise in deaths and hospitalisations. All restrictions are removed on the 14 th we believe. The only ones still evident are masks in shops and the vaccination certificate for bars, restaurants and public venues
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 09:28 The cough is annoying, luckily mine is intermittent. It's the headache that seems to be the worst symptom here. Paracetamol is doing its thing though :good:
Bob hardly had a cough but he was very hoarse. We have stopped wearing cloth masks, I can’t breathe in them. We use the disposables we were provided with in France, when we were stuck here . I don’t like using disposables but needs must. Bob was wearing one of these when he caught covid. Bob used paracetomol and inhalation with olbas oil, worked a treat

What we need to remember is all infectious diseases fluctuate, but we are ‘t aware of it because daily figures aren’t published . Periodically the numbers i crease to an extent when we call it an out break like measles when people stopped immunising.

I am still much more worried about the war in the Ukraine than I am about catching covid.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Headache has gone as has the sore throat and cough. Still have slight sinus discomfort but that may clear after a hot shower. No paracetamol required this morning.
I may do a LFT later today, it's 5 days since the symptoms started.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with it Kev....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

P is still showing positive so I won't bother testing, she's a couple of days in front of me with symptoms.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Headache again this morning controlled by paracetamol, feel clammy and still a bit phlegmy, but I’d say generally better, seems to go worse later in the day. Himself still testing positive and I’m behind him, so like you Kev, don’t see point of me testing.
Gloria
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Symptoms became slightly worse later in the day for both of us too. I might sit in the garden of a bit today, a bit of daylight and fresh air will do me a world of good.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My cousin's husband, the driving instructor (in his 60s), has tested positive this morning even though he has been taking all precautions in his work and day to day activities - but he took his two daughters to see the 3-hour batman film earlier in the week and I suspect he caught it there, regardless of masking etc. His wife has been visiting friends in Spain and was due back later today but now says she's not coming back! :laugh5: (The daughters are nursing him - they've both had covid and are fully vaccinated.)

We're still being very careful. I know everyone says it's mild but with my breathing problem I don't want any respiratory infection if I can avoid it. Also I've noted the news about people who've been infected having shrinkage of the brain. It was mentioned on the Radio 4 Inside Science programme yesterday. It's worse for older people than younger. There's also a BBC web article here: BBC
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gee thanks Peter! So I have to worry about my brain shrinking now have I? As if I hadn't got enough on my plate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 10:49 We're still being very careful. I know everyone says it's mild but with my breathing problem I don't want any respiratory infection if I can avoid it. Also I've noted the news about people who've been infected having shrinkage of the brain.
Probably wise being careful, even the common cold can have quite an impact on those with underlying conditions.
I doubt my brain was very big to start with so shrinkage could be an issue :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 06:59 Headache has gone as has the sore throat and cough. Still have slight sinus discomfort but that may clear after a hot shower. No paracetamol required this morning.
Bob was 8 days before he tested negative, as were daughter and both son in laws. Eve, aged 12 was 3 days but she has suffered more fatigue afterwards. She is back to normal this week
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 10:55 Gee thanks Peter! So I have to worry about my brain shrinking now have I? As if I hadn't got enough on my plate.
I think we may find eventually that other virus infections do similar things to our brain. Perhaps some, or much, of dementia is due to a lifetime's accumulation of the results of virus attacks. It's a good reason for having all the vaccines on offer. We should be due for No.4 covid vaccine soon, I guess.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 11:29
Big Kev wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 06:59 Headache has gone as has the sore throat and cough. Still have slight sinus discomfort but that may clear after a hot shower. No paracetamol required this morning.
Bob was 8 days before he tested negative, as were daughter and both son in laws. Eve, aged 12 was 3 days but she has suffered more fatigue afterwards. She is back to normal this week
It'll be interesting to see if the LFTs work on me once the symptoms have gone. I've not had a positive LFT yet amongst the dozens I've taken.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Purely for my own interests I took a LFT, it's one of the older nose and throat swabs. I only used it up my nose and it did this after 3 minutes of the recommended 30 minutes, I reckon there's a good chance I'm still positive then, that's a fair old red line :biggrin2:
20220311_130447.jpg
15 minute update, the positive red line has gone black now. I reckon I've broke it or my brain is going to disappear completely :laugh5:

Full 30 minute update, still positive. I reckon it'll be a few days yet especially after reading Sue's post about Bob's tests.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've relieved the sinus discomfort, 10 minutes boiling my head did the job. I'll spare you the details but all the tubes are a lot clearer now and I can bend forward without my eyeballs trying to leave my head :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 17:45 I've relieved the sinus discomfort, 10 minutes boiling my head did the job. I'll spare you the details but all the tubes are a lot clearer now and I can bend forward without my eyeballs trying to leave my head :good:
Bob used i halation , I think I said. It worked a treat, plus vick sinex before he went to bed . Good standard cold treatments
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 20:43 plus vick sinex before he went to bed
Sadly I can't use decongestants.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The last time I had one of those runny nose episodes I thought a good sniff at a decongestant may help. It worked a treat. Stopped the flow immediately. The problem now was about two gallon of sinus fluid with no escape. Now in absolute agony couldn't bear any light. Sat in the office with the blinds drawn and lights switched off. People thought I was mad. Still do I'm afraid. :laugh5:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

No headache this morning, still phlegmy but it’s very loose, starting to feel a bit more normal. Himself still testing positive yesterday and I’m after him, so I’ll leave testing another day or so, no rush, not got a bus to catch 😂
Gloria

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”