MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Very graphic example ( :biggrin2: ). No wonder trade is suffering!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I was thinking today about Couriers (the one’s in the white vans :extrawink: ) and all those small parcels they deliver everyday of things ‘Made in China’ .
There’s bound to be less of them on the roads at the moment.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret, in Perth, has noted that her toilet paper is made in China and I have told her that there is no shame in having a good stock! Makes sense.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Far out. I’ve never bothered checking my toilet paper label. But it is important, as we have paper mills here. ( I do check cans, packets, etc). Try to buy Australian when I can.
Bought some sliced Ham when son was here and noted it had less than 10% Aussie ingredients. I ignored it. The price was right and these guys eat huge amounts of food, I doubt they ever check what they are eating anyway, as most of their food is either take-away or pre-prepared to some degree. We did not eat the Ham. If it was for us, I would not have purchased it. I try to remain “pure” if at all possible. Ham is off the list since Swine Flu.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 04:27 I was thinking today about Couriers (the one’s in the white vans :extrawink: )...
Cathy, that's what was in my mind when I wrote about Ebay and all the other online purchases. So much comes from abroad now.

So far the tracing of people who have been in contact with Covid carriers has been very good in the UK. More infected individuals have been found in the last 24 hours and all their contacts are being traced. They've usually been to China, Italy or Thailand or in contact with someone who has. I think the grit in the machinery might be those odd types who are not cooperative or have been in contact with someone but don't want to admit it (nudge, nudge, wink, wink!). :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 11:00 They've usually been to China, Italy or Thailand or in contact with someone who has. I think the grit in the machinery might be those odd types who are not cooperative or have been in contact with someone but don't want to admit it (nudge, nudge, wink, wink!).
Some friends who will be arriving back shortly in the UK from an extended break which includes two stopovers in Thailand have the potential to put the Pendle area on shut down. Back home a typical night out includes a meal at Wetherspoons followed by several pints in numerous pubs round town. I think a petition limiting their movements is called for :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have friends who are currently on a five week Caribbean cruise along with goodness knows how many others on the ship.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I was getting something from my cleaning cupboard this morning, when I spied a can of Glen20 in there...and it struck me that they haven’t stuck their head over the parapet, claiming their product would be just the thing for spraying door knobs and surfaces during the virus outbreak.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had to look Glen20 up Maz. Exactly the type of product that will fly off the shelves!
Diabetes Nurse tomorrow for annual assessment. No worries....
Then my next appointment is March 24th for Cystoscopy at Airedale, after that I may be on 6 months holiday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Col goes to Burnley for his on the 18th March. Hopefully the last, this will be 6 years since it all kicked off.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby is on 12 monthly now...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two reassuring posts, thanks to both of you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I had to look up Glen 20 too. I was amused by this claim made for it: `Killing 999% of germs and viruses on hard and soft surfaces '. I'm not sure I'd trust a company that makes a daft claim like that! :smile:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Re Glen 20 - it smells nice too.
I often use it on door handles, taps and loo push buttons, but not on bench tops.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I do find it leaves a bit of a coating...
I think I bought it last Winter when hubby had a hacking cough for 6 weeks or more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hey Cazza...maybe we should use it as a body spray/hairspray before we venture out?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whatever you do, DON'T PANIC!
I go to see the diabetes nurse at 09:45 for my results and annual assessment. Not expecting any problems.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

At least the Glen20 label says `Kills 99.9% of germs' and not `999%' as it did on the web page!

People keep asking `how long does the covid virus survive on surfaces' and the answer being given seems to come from this WHO report which says:
It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment). WHO guidelines

However the truth is we don't yet know, there's not enough evidence so far. We have to look at similar, related viruses that have caused outbreaks in the past. A different view is given in this paper just published: `Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents' Journal of Hospital Infection The authors state: The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62–71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05–0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective.

A review of this topic, based on that paper, is presented in the journal Medical News Today...
`Coronaviruses: How long can they survive on surfaces?' LINK
Stanley will be pleased to know that bleach was effective on coronaviruses!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I did note that Tiz.... :biggrin2:
All go this morning, laundry shed and diabetes clinic. I shall be glad to climb back into bed. Bloods, kidneys, atc all fine and almost a re-run of 12 months ago. Sam, the nurse says that I am at least ten years younger than my years and possibly more. She's very pleased with me. So that's all right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 10:36 Sam, the nurse says that I am at least ten years younger than my years and possibly more. She's very pleased with me. So that's all right!
That makes you my age, hard lines!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

She wanted a Chocolate Eclair, Stanley...
Would she tell a patient they were 10 years older than their chronological age? :biggrin2:

Mind you, it’s nice to get good news once in a while...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She got her éclair :biggrin2:
I think she was genuinely impressed, first time I have seen her. Perhaps I am doing something right?
China, actually I'm 48, the age thing is all a con.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 03:11 I think she was genuinely impressed, first time I have seen her. Perhaps I am doing something right?
China, actually I'm 48, the age thing is all a con.....
It should be 42!

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years.
:biggrin2:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Urgent message for Tripps! Hold the popcorn, it's not safe! It's got PFAS in it!
Radio 4 Costing the Earth
`When a frustrated farmer dumped a bag of VHS tapes onto the desk of Cincinnati lawyer Rob Bilott, it kick-started a legal process that would ultimately reveal one of the world’s biggest chemical companies had poisoned thousands of people. The story of DuPont and their manufacture of the non-stick chemical family PFAS matters to the factory workers of Parkersburg, West Virginia but it also reveals the extent to which virtually all of us have been exposed to a chemical that for decades has lined our frying pans and takeaway food containers and guarded our sofas and carpets against stains. The story of Rob’s two decade battle with DuPont has inspired Dark Waters, a Hollywood film starring Mark Ruffalo and Anne Hathaway. In the first of a new series Tom Heap meets Rob and Mark to discuss the impact on the environment and human health of a family of chemicals that can build up in our bodies and take tens of thousands of years to decay..'.
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences: PFAS
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:17 Urgent message for Tripps! Hold the popcorn, it's not safe! It's got PFAS in it!
Sorry Tiz - my worry response mechanism is fully occupied at the moment with Coronavirus. I'll try to find room for PFA's when it's over. Actually I don't eat a lot of popcorn - except Butterkist of course, which is delicious, and I can't remember when I last ate any carpet. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”